• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cross RC NT4 Unimog

Lone-wolf

Well, the Brown stuff has hit the fan, so i went to order the bed from the only UK supplier, with rather expensive postage this was going to come to a total of £93 , pretty darned expensive for what it is, i rather cheekily added free shipping but this created some slightly heated emails and has resulted in me being blocked from signing into the web site, so i now wont be able to source any spares from UK, all this is just adding to a rather jaded experience with Cross models, i wont be making any further purchase of this brand and right now i just want to cut my loss`s and sell the Unimog 

• Sad 1

On 18/02/2024 at 16:15, Lone-wolf said:

Well, the Brown stuff has hit the fan, so i went to order the bed from the only UK supplier, with rather expensive postage this was going to come to a total of £93 , pretty darned expensive for what it is, i rather cheekily added free shipping but this created some slightly heated emails and has resulted in me being blocked from signing into the web site, so i now wont be able to source any spares from UK, all this is just adding to a rather jaded experience with Cross models, i wont be making any further purchase of this brand and right now i just want to cut my loss`s and sell the Unimog 

Sorry to hear that, i thought you had it looking well 😞

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wombat said:

Sorry to hear that, i thought you had it looking well 😞

cheers mate, at least i have sorted the UK spares issue seems it was a glitch on website, gonna run it a few more times and then make a decision

• Like 1

On 17/02/2024 at 07:46, Lone-wolf said:

I might order the bed and canopy from Greens models having got a refund from Aliexpress  or i might not keep this money pit

How reliable has yours been?

Mine has many pretty hard hours on it now and the only issue I have had was with the locking diffs not operating too reliably.

Turns out the slider for the locking mechanism was dry and had a bit of corrosion.

Apart from that it has been very reliable..

A money pit insomuch as I'm spending on it (fusion pro inbound) plus some chevrons... But out on the trails it has been performing very very well alongside element and traxxas models.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, racing shed said:

Mine has many pretty hard hours on it now and the only issue I have had was with the locking diffs not operating too reliably.

Turns out the slider for the locking mechanism was dry and had a bit of corrosion.

A money pit insomuch as I'm spending on it (fusion pro inbound) plus some chevrons... But out on the trails it has been performing very very well alongside element and traxxas models.

You have run yours side by side with an Element but i have a modified gatekeeper and no way will the NT4 do what the Element can do, it has been okay`ish so far but if i am brutally honest i regret spending £400 on this model plus the cost of a few upgrades like the wheels and better radio, for what i have paid out i could of got a Traxxas TRX4 hi trail and we know that is less scale looking but more capable of road and more than likely tougher along with a much better parts supply , i want to call it a day and sell this model on but i cant as i would lose to much money on it, so it would appear i am stuck with a pig in a poke, i wont spend any more money on it and dont see me using it so looks like i have my first shelf queen model.

When i looked at getting this i also considered the budget LDRC cheap 1/12 Unimog and in hindsight it would of been a better buy as its a LOT less money!

Sorry to be brutal honest but i like to speak my mind

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

You have run yours side by side with an Element but i have a modified gatekeeper and no way will the NT4 do what the Element can do, it has been okay`ish so far but if i am brutally honest i regret spending £400 on this model plus the cost of a few upgrades like the wheels and better radio, for what i have paid out i could of got a Traxxas TRX4 hi trail and we know that is less scale looking but more capable of road and more than likely tougher along with a much better parts supply , i want to call it a day and sell this model on but i cant as i would lose to much money on it, so it would appear i am stuck with a pig in a poke, i wont spend any more money on it and dont see me using it so looks like i have my first shelf queen model.

When i looked at getting this i also considered the budget LDRC cheap 1/12 Unimog and in hindsight it would of been a better buy as its a LOT less money!

Oh yeah I wouldn't dispute that, apart from the trx4 being more capable... If it is, it's not by much, my NT4 has sailed past a fair few stricken trx4's in the last few weekends.

I have been into the portals, diffs and gearbox and it all looks suitably sturdy and it seems to like heavier oil in the shocks (600)

I bought mine because I liked the shell and the reasonable level of performance as a trail truck has surprised me to be honest.

But If was heading out to do some serious stuff it would be the Capra😂

I will keep mine semi scale and keep trucking....

• Like 1

I do wish i had a solution to the situation with mine, and the more this dilemma goes on the less i want to run it, a real shame as i had such high hopes for this model, but the only outlook i see is to keep it and just run it on trail drives once in a while to try and have some use from it 

On 21/02/2024 at 21:36, racing shed said:

Not sure about the RTR models but the kits that come with pre-assembled axles and gearboxes are not greased (maybe something to do with greases and liquids being banned during shipping).  You should take off all the covers and check for grease.  My AT4V has performed well so far.  Other than having to tighten the slipper clutch it all works to my satisfaction, including the diff-locks and gear change.

DSC02827.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlackSeaRC said:

Not sure about the RTR models but the kits that come with pre-assembled axles and gearboxes are not greased (maybe something to do with greases and liquids being banned during shipping).  You should take off all the covers and check for grease.  My AT4V has performed well so far.  Other than having to tighten the slipper clutch it all works to my satisfaction, including the diff-locks and gear change.

DSC02827.JPG

I appreciate what your saying but i wont be doing this, another issue with RTR is they wont come apart, screws are in so darn tight that even using my trusty quality Wera hex drivers, the bolts wont come out, i have tried to remove a shock to check oil wont shift, i tried to get a portal cover of, yep wont come undone.

The more i look at this rig and talk about it the more i dislike it

On 21/02/2024 at 19:00, Lone-wolf said:

Jeez that sucks, like you say your in too deep and would lose a load of money if you sold it so maybe keep it for trails so still get some use out if it. I've found myself a number of times looking at non "big name" brands and liking them only to be put off by the parts supply and what's worse is that there doesn't seem to be much second hand at the moment that I could even take a punt on.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stretch said:

Jeez that sucks, like you say your in too deep and would lose a load of money if you sold it so maybe keep it for trails so still get some use out if it. I've found myself a number of times looking at non "big name" brands and liking them only to be put off by the parts supply and what's worse is that there doesn't seem to be much second hand at the moment that I could even take a punt on.

had i of known how i would feel about this i think i might of bought the cheap FTX Gladius for £259 and done a few nice upgrades

small positive update, i have watched a fair few NT4 video`s over the weekend and seems a lot of people have bought this model, they seem to be doing okay on video so next time i get a chance for a run out i will try the NT4 again and see if i can start to like it a bit

• Like 3

On 23/02/2024 at 17:23, Lone-wolf said:

I appreciate what your saying but i wont be doing this, another issue with RTR is they wont come apart, screws are in so darn tight that even using my trusty quality Wera hex drivers, the bolts wont come out, i have tried to remove a shock to check oil wont shift, i tried to get a portal cover of, yep wont come undone.

The more i look at this rig and talk about it the more i dislike it

I've been into mine with no difficulties.. it is light on grease and lubricant pretty much everywhere but that is the same for every rtr I have ever owned, my shocks were fine and I just last week swapped the oil for some slightly heavier stuff.

The drivetrain is much quieter now that the transfer box has some heavier grease in it.

Performance wise, i will maintain is pretty good, wheels and some Injora silicone inserts have really helped, it's is constantly surprising because it looks really tippy with the bodyshell but isn't.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...