• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Rally New Build - Questions

Chris Curby

Hi All,

So cracking on with my new project kindly supplied by @Gaz! for a fee of course 😁

I am looking at the following upgrades to begin with.

Motor and ESC: Traxxas Velineon VXL-3S and 3351R Motor (taken from a Rustler)

Traxxas Chassis Brace Kit (Blue)

Traxxas Shocks GTR front and rear

Arrma Dboots Hoons (White)

New Shell designed and painted as a Ken Block Tribute shell

My issue and question at the moment is the Pinion and Spur, @Gaz! can you remember if the spur is standard or have you upgraded in the past? The pinion i have at the moment is a 25t pulled from the Rustler so therefore to big really, the stock standard pinion is usually 13t so if I want to upgrade the spur to a Robinson Racing Gen3 Slipper Kit for a slash 4X4 (54T) what would be the recommended pinion size for the Robinson Spur?? I am going to place a large parts order tonight from Wheelspin so ideally need to know this before I do so. The Rally will mainly be ran on road so I am aiming for more top end speed. 

The Velineon setup is also very close together although it will just fit with a few mm spare between the ESC and Motor 🤨

I also noticed on a previous build by @Kpowell911 the servo was upgraded to a 9IMOD RC Brushless Servo, was this upgrade worthwhile? Or is standard stock ok?

I have many more upgrades I want to do but for now I will do the ones above before boring you all with the list I want to fit.

Cheers Chris 👍

RC4.jpg

RC1.jpg

RC5.jpg

• Like 2

Hi mate, for the record Im guessing youve taken the VXL system out of a 2wd Rustler? Hence the huge pinion? Youre right you need a much smaller pinion, have a look thorough my thread but I ran the Traxxas Centre Diff and I forget what pitch that is?

I always recommend upgrading a servo from Traxxas’ as theyre electronics arent great. Doesnt have to be a 9imod, in fact doesnt NEED upgrading, I just think its beneficial. 

• Like 2

I had a good read of your thread earlier and got most of the good ideas from it 😂, I couldn't see any mention of the pinion though.

And yes from a 2wd rustler it was. I just need to get a good setup on the spur and pinion so would prefer upgraded parts as opposed to stock.. Any suggestions or Links? I will upgrade the servo at a later date 👍

It gets a bit confusing. First of all, did this start out as a Rally or a Slash 4x4? I think the diffs are different ratio’s if so. The Rally came brushed. 

To be fair it looks like youve got the alloy motor mount, and has a metal drive shaft, the stock brushed rally had a plastic one.

Edited by Kpowell911

Answered your pm’s mate, ill try my hardest to reply asap :good:

yes it was a brushed rally when i bought it, the combo i have for sale was great in it though even on 2s lipo. The seller had me over big time hence me fully rebuilding it, it did come with a plastic driveshaft that was almost beyond use, fitted a spare i had along with the motor mount too as it came with plastic throughout.

a 54t spur gear would indicate 32dp so a 13t 32dp pinion with standard shaft size is whats required. For the record, i used a 11t 32dp pinion with a 5mm shaft.

• Like 1

Regarding the Pinions the pictures shown are of the 14t 32P I purchased against the existing pinion removed from the 3351R motor. Clearly the inside diameter of the two are way out!!

The simple issue is finding the right size pinion to suit the 3351R Motors shaft 😐

What am I missing here??

Pinions A.jpg

Pinions B.jpg

What @Kpowell911 said ^^^

you used to be able to get a small sleeve that took up the slack, no idea if they are still available though…

just gone through my pinions i found a 14t but the same 5mm bore, closest i have is i think 15t but its aluminium not steel if thats any use??