• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1800's house renovations

Steve-O2021

Thanks will try removing the pinion and seeing how it sounds. Been busy removing all the Itchy attic insulation stuff so thought I would ask first before looking at the truggy,

Didnt remove all the stuff left the original, just removing the stuff that's been added to see if it stops damp issues... think it's had too much put in by them government warm house schemes over thr years before I bought it...

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Steve-O2021 said:

Thanks will try removing the pinion and seeing how it sounds. Been busy removing all the Itchy attic insulation stuff so thought I would ask first before looking at the truggy,

Didnt remove all the stuff left the original, just removing the stuff that's been added to see if it stops damp issues... think it's had too much put in by them government warm house schemes over thr years before I bought it...

Thanks

I have been adding loft insulation to my house this weekend, there was none there before in the 1800’s bit, heres hoping it sorts out the cost of kerosene and keeping the house warm, surely it will!

2 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

I have been adding loft insulation to my house this weekend, there was none there before in the 1800’s bit, heres hoping it sorts out the cost of kerosene and keeping the house warm, surely it will!

Is yours built from  stone as well? Mines a stone built cottage from 1850. Amazing how they a sit the stones ontop of each other all of various sizes. I uncovered the original fireplace and removed all the infill that was put in and ended up with this -

20231015_184251.thumb.jpg.0872916c1e46f235da5a485a8ee01c79.jpg

20231015_184234.thumb.jpg.fd020c35a18780af315de381d8eb4920.jpg

• Like 1

We plan on doing something similar with out fire maybe, will need to uncover it first and see what we have to work with, only have 2 old pics that the old owner gave us, but we would want to remove the whitewash we are not a fan of that, first pick is whats there currently, next 2 are whats behind there and the last is what we want to end up with, but thats a job for next year

IMG_2165.jpeg

cannaharsfireplace 2.jpeg

fireplace 4.jpeg

IMG_2166.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

We plan on doing something similar with out fire maybe, will need to uncover it first and see what we have to work with, only have 2 old pics that the old owner gave us, but we would want to remove the whitewash we are not a fan of that, first pick is whats there currently, next 2 are whats behind there and the last is what we want to end up with, but thats a job for next year

IMG_2165.jpeg

cannaharsfireplace 2.jpeg

fireplace 4.jpeg

IMG_2166.jpeg

Nice the cats claimed the fire.

Just out of interest is the outside of your house rendered ?

1 hour ago, Steve-O2021 said:

Nice the cats claimed the fire.

Just out of interest is the outside of your house rendered ?

No its just granite, i had to do some pointing in it and also had to remove some of the pointing the previous owner had done as it was done with cement, using cement to point  a granite house is bad as it causes dampness within the walls. Looks like this outside in the old part

IMG_1487.jpeg

10 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

No its just granite, i had to do some pointing in it and also had to remove some of the pointing the previous owner had done as it was done with cement, using cement to point  a granite house is bad as it causes dampness within the walls. Looks like this outside in the old part

IMG_1487.jpeg

Nice, Yea guessing you took it out and used lime mortar?

Some past owner decided to have the full outside cement Rendered on the cottage I purchased... Apparently it was the in thing to do years ago but now it's just causing damp as the walls can't breath naturally!!!

Looks like its going to be a ball ache to remove as well...

Hoping removing the mass of added insulation in the loft will help

20230916_152308.thumb.jpg.a6bc0111867e9be2c1942d9a1904e72b.jpg

20231015_131924.thumb.jpg.693f9e24df1ff384b81cc216242dfa9d.jpg

20231015_142747.thumb.jpg.fecc1a97587e5145205e6acc65eb65e9.jpg

20231015_155236.thumb.jpg.4d3286c4ba56b62305402be980c35f6f.jpg

20231015_172401.thumb.jpg.5fe75df1a72bd699f6370731a86d4c34.jpg

Messy job... full of rat and mouse nests / droppings and dead birds etc....

• Steve-O2021 changed the title to 1800's house renovations
9 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

IMG_1487.jpeg

We have our own 1800's house thread now lol.

Are all your internal walls solid as well or has the floor plan been adjusted and walls replaced with stud partition walls? 

Mine are still all solid and give very poor WiFi and phone signals. Ended up getting a Deco X55 3 pack setup and running cat6 cables to them all 👍 

The Deco x55 is rated to cover a new build style 4-6 bedroom house.... I needed it to cover a 1 bedroom 1850s cottage 😆 

• Haha 1

Who would have thought it, our own special thread 🤣

The internal walls, some are lath and plaster and others are plasterboard with stud walls, yea 600mm + thick  granite makes a good job of blocking wifi signals thats for sure, there are some extensions built onto the house and they are built to a more modern design, the kitchen/diner is an early to mid 1900 extension and there 1 at the back which i believe is a 60-70’s extension and it has lots of insulation and is the warmest part of the house, this photo gives an idea of the thickness of some of the walls, its almost as wide as a doorway! We havent done anything yet to the main living room as thats next years job

image.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

Who would have thought it, our own special thread 🤣

The internal walls, some are lath and plaster and others are plasterboard with stud walls, yea 600mm + thick  granite makes a good job of blocking wifi signals thats for sure, there are some extensions built onto the house and they are built to a more modern design, the kitchen/diner is an early to mid 1900 extension and there 1 at the back which i believe is a 60-70’s extension and it has lots of insulation and is the warmest part of the house, this photo gives an idea of the thickness of some of the walls, its almost as wide as a doorway! We havent done anything yet to the main living room as thats next years job

image.jpg

Lol all started from asking about a motor noise...

Yea houses back then we're built solid. I got a big long SDS drill bit to run a wire through the wall outside and it was no where near long enough... plus drilling into stone isn't as easy as brick.

Want to pull the plaster board off and re do bits but I have a feeling there will be mice popping there heads into the room when I do 😆 

31 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

1800 year old house?

ouija board time 😄 

Might be one hidden in the attic somewhere lol... 

Attic wise I found

- a large old tree felling saw

- a creepy old doll with half its hair missing and eyes that blinked when you moved / leaned it back and forward (think my partner binned it as she didn't like it and I haven't seen it for a while now lol)

- old vintage rat and mouse traps