• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

m4inbrain's slightly less reasonably priced Reve D RDX

m4inbrain

36 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

At least you can make a start on it :good:

Very certainly,  just gotta cook now and then the evening be me, AC/DC and a screwdriver. 🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Lol have fun mate :rofl:

Boy do i.

Did get stuck in for half an hour now, can give a preliminary opinion on quality now, the manual etc. Lets start with the start. 

WpiH2uq.png

Always makes me giggle to think that this is an RC. Eventually. Not much to say here, it's bags, numbered. With stuff and things. 

Now, this is where i was impressed for the first time.

ISRsFzE.png

It's of course kind of impossible to tell via picture, but this is part of the bell crank assembly - and there's absolutely zero play vertically. It runs horizontally smooth as butter with no friction whatsoever, and without exaggeration, there's not even a micrometer movement up and down. I think in terms of precision for plastic parts, this is the best one i've ever seen. 

tb53OzL.png

Finished bell crank assembly. Also, Deus Vult, for the meme-lords amongst us. Next, this is what the manual looks like.

AmZ1oS8.png?1

In the beginning it was a little confusing, due to the Katakana before English, makes it a little awkward to just glance at a picture/text - but in the end turned out to be advantageous, because it makes you look at the picture longer - potentially making less mistakes. The manual is very precise, any potential question mark in terms of orientation for example is made crystal clear, like in this example (i couldn't tell the orientation of the lower front mount from the exploded view - they knew i'd be that stupid and provided an extra picture). It also mentions potential deviations from the standard build (mounting the arm upside down for droop/load shift setups) straight at the source. 

In terms of print and paper, it's good. Not outstanding, but absolutely good. Not that it matters that much, but i personally do think that details matter, and having a quality manual is a big plus. 

Lastly:

edSEj1X.png

Bell crank assembly installed with front bulkhead and servo. Take note MST, both short and long links were provided to suite both servo orientations. The manual also made very clear what position the servo horn is to be mounted (slightly offset to the right), again via picture. 

That's how far i got for now, need a new bloody chair at the desk - my back's already killing me lol, age ain't helping i guess.

Conclusion so far, the plastics are good - close to Traxxas quality. No stripped screws, and you can get screws proper tight. The tolerances/precision of the parts, especially considering they're plastic, is amazing. Beating companies like Axial by a few orders of magnitude, as well as Traxxas by some margin. Also beating the MST which in itself went together nicely, but this is a level or two above, at least so far. Incredibly happy with it. It goes together quick and smoothly, partially due to parts just magically lining up, partially because the manual doesn't leave room for interpretation or confusion. 

I'll have to go out for a bit, certainly hope i'll get a little more done today. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

coming on nicely , my work is having a HUGE new warehouse built and i fancy having a play with a drifter once the floor is laid but not buying a drift just for one run

Yeah that don't make much sense lol. 

Could always see if there's a track/club somewhere reasonably close to ya. 

• Like 1

So, tiny update, or rather a reminder to everyone.. 

Read, before you order. The body mounts by Reve D that i ordered? Yeah.. No magnets. And further, the front mount doesn't pivot, which leads to fitment issues if the bonnet isn't straight/slightly curved. 

I've continued building, it's basically almost done - just waiting for the electrics now (just got DPD email, arrive tomorrow). Built (not mounted) the shocks, most of the chassis etc - most of the other stuff arrived, will post a proper update post either tomorrow evening or the day after - gonna take some time to properly route the motor cables, have to run them in a length that allows ESC positioning both centre chassis and rear plate. 

And of course i gotta wait now for the new set of body posts - bloody £55. 

It does buddy, looks pretty mean. 

In terms of lights, i've dug out my MyTrickRC Attack light kit, meaning front lights, rear lights, brake lights, maybe marker lights if i can be arsed - and exhaust backfire LEDs. I'm not sure if there's space on the controller for additional underglow, gotta check - it would indeed look cool with purple underglow. 

Just fitted the motor and am now trying to figure out where to mount the electronics, neatly. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

I think you need to cancel your custom body as that 1 on there just looks absolutely awsome

It does, super surprised by the quality of the body considering it's relatively (and comparatively) cheap. I do have another Killerbody shell (orange GR86), but that's not even close in terms of details and even thickness, that 2000gt is sturdy. 

Buuut... more bodies is more better. 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

It does, super surprised by the quality of the body considering it's relatively (and comparatively) cheap. I do have another Killerbody shell (orange GR86), but that's not even close in terms of details and even thickness, that 2000gt is sturdy. 

Buuut... more bodies is more better. 😛 

well if thats your thinking a black FD RX7 with gold Enkei RPF1 wheels would look amazing 😜 but then again im a wee bit biased, i can certainly give you some inspiration for this project 

• Like 1