• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

laptop and video editing

Lone-wolf

I only use a laptop so a desktop base station is not happening.

I am using a Lenovo X260 i5 with at least 8gig ram and 500gig SSD, its a good solid browsing lappy but of course it struggles a bit processing/editing rc video`s, i could upgrade to an i7 with 16gig and at least 500gig ssd, this would be another used Lenovo my budget would be £300 max, question is would i see a good improvement with editing, my current Lenovo manages but the cooling fan is going ten to dozen and it does take a while to sort a 5-6 minute edit

8 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

will render and encode faster with a multi core i7 and more memory brother tbf depends what software you use am using the built in windows app video editor does most things slo mo etc

Im using Openshot free editor is there an editor on win 10 that i did not know of?

5 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

no movie maker is gone, not on win 10, another option might be to upgrade the ram from 8gig to 32gig

You can only go to 16gb on a single ddr 4 dimm
Usally a dedicated GPU will improve video editor performance vs the inbuilt intel hd graphics that share the os resources.
You cant upgrade the GPU nore can you desolder the i5 chip.

I use shotcut a free open source video editor since win 10 lost movie maker.
Like buying budget crawlers vs the element, You wont see a good performance increase unless you increase your budget.
Dedicated GPU and i7 with 16gig of DDR 4 is atleast 800£

Edited by Redback

3 minutes ago, Redback said:

You can only go to 16gb on a single ddr 4 dimm
Usally a dedicated GPU will improve video editor performance vs the inbuilt intel hd graphics that share the os resources.
You cant upgrade the GPU nore can you desolder the i5 chip.
I use shotcut a free open source video editor since win 10 lost movie maker 😞

I think shotcut is very similar to openshot, so really its back to getting a more powerful laptop unless i could fit an external graphics card of some kind but not sure if i can

9 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

I think shotcut is very similar to openshot, so really its back to getting a more powerful laptop unless i could fit an external graphics card of some kind but not sure if i can

The caddy for a external gpu is more than your budget, then you need another 400£ for the gpu card itself.
Your laptops also dont have the supporting thunderbolt socket.

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X260/ThinkPad_X260_Spec.PDF

I custom built a laptop for 3d art and game development, 4 years ago, dedicated gpu, 16gb of ram. i7 cpu.
Cost 1000£ worth the investment considering its still high end to this day.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redback said:

The caddy for a external gpu is more than your budget, then you need another 400£ for the gpu card itself.
Your laptops also dont have the supporting thunderbolt socket.

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X260/ThinkPad_X260_Spec.PDF

I custom built a laptop for 3d art and game development, 4 years ago, dedicated gpu, 16gb of ram. i7 cpu.
Cost 1000£ worth the investment considering its still high end to this day.

Appreciate the reply Red, i think decision made keep an eye out for a refurb X270-280 or even T 480 with min 16g ram and i7  i can do this sub £300. Lenovo has ALWAYS been really good for me

12 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

yeah your right about movie maker gone wolf also from yesterday that video editor seems to have gone from apps too 😢just opens up windows photos now lol grrr so i downloaded one called CAPTCUT now free version does what i need etc 

the openshot i use does all i need but it hammers the laptop, i think for now my best option is upgrade ram to 16gig that will only help things in general and maybe save a bit to see if i can spend a little more and get a faster more powerful laptop at a later date

• 2 months later...

How did this go?

I edit between 3-6 video's a week between 10-45minutes long for both of my YouTube channels and I use Premiere Pro on a MacBook Pro

Specs are...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Prosessor 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

It takes around 17minutes to render a 45minute long video with little to no effects. If I've added lots of music and effects it'll be around 25minutes.

I'd be interested to know what you ended up doing!

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/11/2023 at 14:19, Cactus said:

How did this go?

I edit between 3-6 video's a week between 10-45minutes long for both of my YouTube channels and I use Premiere Pro on a MacBook Pro

Specs are...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Prosessor 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

It takes around 17minutes to render a 45minute long video with little to no effects. If I've added lots of music and effects it'll be around 25minutes.

I'd be interested to know what you ended up doing!

so far all i did was upgrade the ram to 16g not that it made much difference, at some stage i will get an i7 lenovo just not in a rush as this i5is still going strong

• Like 1