• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

long range rc?

hi, I'm completley new to this whole thing. I've spent a long time googling but im not really sure what to be searching for and i ended up here.

sorry if this isn't thr correct place to be asking this!

im looking to build a RC car. long range. somethung around 5km there abouts with FPV. ive really got no idea where to start so any help would be appreciated!

6 hours ago, Bajadre said:

will need a VTX and something to view on brother like a screen or googles etc a few brands to have a look at fatshark Teamblacksheep  immersionrc etc

As above but TBH this is dead in the water before it starts, as no surface radio will get any where near that range even a Taranis  with long range receiver wont do any great range at ground level, you may be able to get a range of about maybe 1000metres but it will be hard and expensive 

• Like 1

5km is way out of reach for 2.4 Ghz car radio ( radiolink range is around 600 meters and you can plug tbs crossfire module that will get you further or just use aircraft stick radio with crossfire.

Standard 5.8 Ghz vtx used in Fpv, even newest DJI system  won't get you to 5 km on ground either as laws of physics are unbreakable read about fresnel zone basically any obstacle between vtx and googles will hinder signal that's why variable latency digital systems are best for ground vehicle as googles will ask vtx to re-send data to produce best picture while analog will start flashing picture roll etc. akin to 70s TV in bad weather ( it's possible to carry video signal further with LTE or 4g but latency will be to much to drive, other option is 1.2 analog but antennas are really fragile and big and I'm pretty sure illegal to use) . best you can get with modern gear is DJI o3 with new googles ( not cheap and you have to use drone flight controler or solder  and program arudino to get higher power out of o3 and for Car you could get newest radiolink as it's only car radio that possible to use with ELRS ( or use with stick radio with ELRS if you not bother driving car with gimbals )

This run is with older DJI system and because of all obstacles I got car radio glitching and losing signal few times 

Edited by Douge one
More info to add
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Douge one said:

5km is way out of reach for 2.4 Ghz car radio ( radiolink range is around 600 meters and you can plug tbs crossfire module that will get you further or just use aircraft stick radio with crossfire.

Standard 5.8 Ghz vtx used in Fpv, even newest DJI system  won't get you to 5 km on ground either as laws of physics are unbreakable read about fresnel zone basically any obstacle between vtx and googles will hinder signal that's why variable latency digital systems are best for ground vehicle as googles will ask vtx to re-send data to produce best picture while analog will start flashing picture roll etc. akin to 70s TV in bad weather ( it's possible to carry video signal further with LTE or 4g but latency will be to much to drive, other option is 1.2 analog but antennas are really fragile and big and I'm pretty sure illegal to use) . best you can get with modern gear is DJI o3 with new googles ( not cheap and you have to use drone flight controler or solder  and program arudino to get higher power out of o3 and for Car you could get newest radiolink as it's only car radio that possible to use with ELRS ( or use with stick radio with ELRS if you not bother driving car with gimbals )

This run is with older DJI system and because of all obstacles I got car radio glitching and losing signal few times 

This, though funnily enough, you can legally buy them in the UK and very easily and relatively cheaply too, they're just illegal to use in the UK.

Edited by Grogg
  • Like 1

good upload wolfie and the reason for stand by mode is VTXs get red hot very fast with out a decent airflow etc which is fine in the air but on the ground nana 🤣 my drone disarmed is 25mw which is the current limit of the law over here atm if we fly together we need to use 25mw or we clash even on different channels when flying solo i bump it up to 400mw you can also hack the range on DJ googles upto 1200mw

16 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

good upload wolfie and the reason for stand by mode is VTXs get red hot very fast with out a decent airflow etc which is fine in the air but on the ground nana 🤣 my drone disarmed is 25mw which is the current limit of the law over here atm if we fly together we need to use 25mw or we clash even on different channels when flying solo i bump it up to 400mw you can also hack the range on DJ googles upto 1200mw

With digital systems doesn't really matter how much power you output even on 25mW processor crunching bits of data all the time ( 100°C after 7 min on 25mW on a bench) so good fan it is a must.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bajadre said:

No hacking required, you can buy video transmitters - and ones that do both audio and video, as well as multiple styles of receivers that will not just run 1200mw, but allow you to select everything from from 25mw, 400mw, 600mw, 800mw, 1200mw and more, all legally in the UK.  And not only that but since different countries have different laws regarding this equipment, you can actually buy say the drone in the UK with an FPV system that is legal to use in the UK, and buy the exact same make and model of your drone's FPV system that is destined for say America where the laws regarding the use of this equipment and it's limitations are much much laxer, and swap them over, therefore still retaining the FPV system designed for your model of drone and extending the range of it's FPV capabilities.  It's extremely an extremely common thing to do among people who race drones, and like to be naughty around airports with their drones.  And you don't even need to import any of this, UK retailers stock and sell it all, I'm running my FPV system at 800mw, which is naughty in the UK, I bought all the equipment to do it from a UK retailer, and it was delivered next day, so it was stored in the UK as well, the retailer just has a note - read the bolded part in the overview, in the description/specs stating that it's not legal for use in the UK and is being sold for use outside of the UK, or if it's one that you can switch the power output on to make sure if you are using it in the UK not to use a power output that is not legal for you to use in the UK.  And most of the time to be honest, all the manufacturer has done has put a transmitter with a select-able power output in the drone set it to a power output level that is legal for where that drone is going to be sold, so it's just a case of getting to the transmitter and setting it to a different power output via a few presses of a button located in a convenient location on the transmitter.

Edited by Grogg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

yeah groggs super easy on the dji gear just drop a text file on the root and you have UK EU and USA FCC limits etc i got games on mine too love a bit of doom when out chilling haha 🤣👍

The girlfriend and I used to run ''our'' - well more hers, DJI drone at 2500mw, lag becomes an issue the further away you get, but there are ways to reduce it though not completely eliminate lag - musician and their techs have spent a fortune and decades trying to reduce lag not just on their wired systems but especially their wireless systems for longer than I've been alive.  We kept talking about buying a second DJI, and putting LEDS on them and doing synchronised drone flights, but she's since sold on her DJI and is replacing it with a fixed wing drone - out the box with no mods these things have much much longer rangers and fly times.

On land with clear line of sight - no obstacles between the transmitter and receiver, or interference 1 mile is very easily achievable, and relatively cheap, though due to the lag, you wouldn't want to relay on FPV for directional control 

• Like 1