• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Engine upgrade

Jblaze86

Never had one, but if you research then I think some had issues, think it was the carb.  Dont think you really need the extra low down torque in a truggy, so I would stick to 28/4.6 engine.  If your spending £170-80 on a new HPI 5.9 then I would get LRP28 spec 4 which is cheaper.  

It was the K5.9 that wasnt so good as the new F5.9 is a rebranded Force 36 engine, which are typically reliable.  Remember larger engines will drain your fuel tank quickly just for  faster acceleration which maybe at the detriment of driveability. 

Really not worth it.

The Force .36 went through a period of iffy QC with a run of blown cranks, but if you get a good one they are fine. Just not that powerful. Plenty of torque....but in a Trophy, you won;t notice the benefit. It will, however, drink the fuel a lot faster.

If you want to go for more speed, get a good .28 ( the stock HPI option is OK, but its a cooking RTR motor, so not in a high state of tune ) like the LRP Spec4 ... or if you really want a bit more of the ole 'cubes' ... go for the LRP .32.  Botrh will give you a big chunk more power than your stock motor, and more than the big 5.9 engine. Plus they won;t empty the tank quite so fast.