• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Screwz4RC any good?

Craigyboy83

Personally i found the stainless to be super soft and no good at all for what I wanted it for. I ended up going for hardened steel From elsewhere.

Edited by totlxtc

12 hours ago, Craigyboy83 said:

Trying to pick up a hex set of screws for a tamiya mini build and the place in the title  came up on Google, just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? If so are the screws decent quality?

Which tamiya are you building? 

I normally swap the screws out for 12.9 steel cap heads as they are extremely hard to strip. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Which tamiya are you building? 

I normally swap the screws out for 12.9 steel cap heads as they are extremely hard to strip. 

It’s an m07 concept for racing in the mini class, haven’t built a tamiya in a good 20 years, I may look into sourcing the screws individually, or at least the ones that will be in and out regularly 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craigyboy83 said:

It’s an m07 concept for racing in the mini class, haven’t built a tamiya in a good 20 years, I may look into sourcing the screws individually, or at least the ones that will be in and out regularly 

Most are m3x8, I've got loads of new ones if that would help. I've been selling 100 for £6 posted. This is the original RS link https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/socket-screws/3764577

Edited by Alex97
  • Like 1

i bought a lot of things from these guys https://boltbase.com/

you can ask for specific threading and length and diameter, stainless steel is a bit weak as its removed the carbon and stuff, im using the stronger black ones now but they rust 🙂

they are also cheap, very cheap compared to model specific screws and bolts 🙂

using some of their screws/bolts as hinge pins on my converted hyper 7 🙂

oh for bearings https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/

is a no brainer 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, totlxtc said:

ohhhh yes. My ol man always taught me with tools that you buy cheap you buy twice.

yeh that is very true i have started to build up mip hex drivers and i havent stripped a hex since while my cheap ones would 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

I know I keep banging this drum, but for hand tools you really cannot go wrong with Wera drivers and nut drivers. For power tools as mentioned the MIP set is great. I have the Hudy set and if im honest they are just as good as the MIP stuff but massively overpriced.

Arrowmax stuff is nice too.

• Like 2

Wera 

12 hours ago, totlxtc said:

I know I keep banging this drum, but for hand tools you really cannot go wrong with Wera drivers and nut drivers. For power tools as mentioned the MIP set is great. I have the Hudy set and if im honest they are just as good as the MIP stuff but massively overpriced.

Arrowmax stuff is nice too.

wera do make brilliant stuff, I use a lot of there stuff for work and the quality is above most brands

• 1 month later...
On 23/03/2023 at 02:29, Yrkoon said:

i bought a lot of things from these guys https://boltbase.com/

you can ask for specific threading and length and diameter, stainless steel is a bit weak as its removed the carbon and stuff, im using the stronger black ones now but they rust 🙂

they are also cheap, very cheap compared to model specific screws and bolts 🙂

using some of their screws/bolts as hinge pins on my converted hyper 7 🙂

oh for bearings https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/

is a no brainer 🙂

If you want to prevent black screws from rusting, stop any rust that started, or get rid of any rust on screws especially black screws, get an oil based black permanent marker and ''paint'' the screw with it.  It really works, it's an old trick guitarists use - screws on electric guitars are exposed to sweat, heat, and every other nasty thing you can think of on a daily basis.  It's doesn't just cover up the rust, and for best results remove the rust from the screw - it's generally the screw head that is effected, with a quick buff with some sand paper, nothing too abrasive, like 640 grit.

• Like 1