• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Question about scale

Grogg

1 hour ago, Grogg said:

I have a feeling, but I'm not sure, that the guy who gave me it runs the one he uses on 8s, though I'm not sure.  It's something I'm planning on checking when I go round his to measure his wheels.  Despite requiring no assembly, it looks and feels like a serious bit of kit compared to my Tamiya Rock Socker, and all the other Tamiya RC cars I've seen to date.

I think you're mistaken there. 

I promise you, a 1/8th anything (be it buggy, truggy, anything) on 8s (that's 33v) will be undrivable. I know this for a fact, because my neighbour did try to run his 1/8th Kraton on 8s. Nothing in the rig is built to take that amount of power, so if you don't immediately tear the tyres apart (literally, ballooning then exploding), you'll bend everything in the drivetrain that isn't hardened steel - and even the hardened steel parts will torque/damage the parts they're bolted to. 

As a rule of thumb, i think it was mentioned already, 1/10s is around 2s-4s, 1/8th is up to 6s, and everything in scale above that goes 8+. There are 1/7th that run 8s (Arrma Limitless, Felony etc) - but they're built to go 150mph+. 

What you want is the "average Kraton" system. 150ish amp ESC, 2000-2200kv motor, 6s maximum - and then "tune" through gearing. Most rigs on 6s are capable of 60mph and more. You might think that your RC there is big, but it's not: it's 1/8th scale, the average size for bashers. 8s systems are designed for things like the X-Maxx (which is considerably bigger than the Hyper Cage Truggy. Here's a picture with the X-Maxx next to a Kraton 6s, which is another 1/8th (bigger than the Hyper Cage). 

maxresdefault.jpg

Since you said you want a HW system, just order this:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-ezrun-max8-g2-esc-combo-with-4278sd-2250kv-motor-1347107

and be done with it. It's going to be plenty fast, probably more than comfortable in the beginning (depending on gearing, you're looking at 50mph-60mph). It's the sweet spot - @Kpowell911 and i tried to go bigger than the "average" 1/8th system (in a Kraton 6s EXB like the grey one in the picture), and i think it's safe to say that both of us did regret it. 8s really only makes sense in rigs weighing 20+ lbs. 

To put differently: there's a buggy called DBXL-E 2.0, which drives on 8s. Here's the size comparison to a 1/8th buggy. 

8AZwf7BEGAgqNttts6sbRTix_zUsWDsmC50F0lQe

Of course, your rig, your rules - but i don't think you'll have fun with an 8s system in that truggy. I, in fact, am not entirely certain that you could make it physically fit (8s systems have pretty chonky motors, from slightly smaller than a coke can to bigger than a coke can). 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I think you're mistaken there. 

I promise you, a 1/8th anything (be it buggy, truggy, anything) on 8s (that's 33v) will be undrivable. I know this for a fact, because my neighbour did try to run his 1/8th Kraton on 8s. Nothing in the rig is built to take that amount of power, so if you don't immediately tear the tyres apart (literally, ballooning then exploding), you'll bend everything in the drivetrain that isn't hardened steel - and even the hardened steel parts will torque/damage the parts they're bolted to. 

As a rule of thumb, i think it was mentioned already, 1/10s is around 2s-4s, 1/8th is up to 6s, and everything in scale above that goes 8+. There are 1/7th that run 8s (Arrma Limitless, Felony etc) - but they're built to go 150mph+. 

What you want is the "average Kraton" system. 150ish amp ESC, 2000-2200kv motor, 6s maximum - and then "tune" through gearing. Most rigs on 6s are capable of 60mph and more. You might think that your RC there is big, but it's not: it's 1/8th scale, the average size for bashers. 8s systems are designed for things like the X-Maxx (which is considerably bigger than the Hyper Cage Truggy. Here's a picture with the X-Maxx next to a Kraton 6s, which is another 1/8th (bigger than the Hyper Cage). 

maxresdefault.jpg

Since you said you want a HW system, just order this:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-ezrun-max8-g2-esc-combo-with-4278sd-2250kv-motor-1347107

and be done with it. It's going to be plenty fast, probably more than comfortable in the beginning (depending on gearing, you're looking at 50mph-60mph). It's the sweet spot - @Kpowell911 and i tried to go bigger than the "average" 1/8th system (in a Kraton 6s EXB like the grey one in the picture), and i think it's safe to say that both of us did regret it. 8s really only makes sense in rigs weighing 20+ lbs. 

To put differently: there's a buggy called DBXL-E 2.0, which drives on 8s. Here's the size comparison to a 1/8th buggy. 

8AZwf7BEGAgqNttts6sbRTix_zUsWDsmC50F0lQe

Of course, your rig, your rules - but i don't think you'll have fun with an 8s system in that truggy. I, in fact, am not entirely certain that you could make it physically fit (8s systems have pretty chonky motors, from slightly smaller than a coke can to bigger than a coke can). 

good advice there listen to him and us 🙂

• Like 3

yeah like said already a 1/8th truggy on 8s wouldnt be much fun tbh maybe straight line runs be terrible for mostly other things even 6s is a handful lol you will defo be ripping tyres from rims  😁4s is the sweet spot unless you have plenty of space to play and parts will likely break alot  at anything above 50mph+

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

yeah like said already a 1/8th truggy on 8s wouldnt be much fun tbh maybe straight line runs be terrible for mostly other things even 6s is a handful lol you will defo be ripping tyres from rims  😁4s is the sweet spot unless you have plenty of space to play and parts will likely break alot  at anything above 50mph+

I'll be heading to the mate who gave me the thing later today after I visit the post office.  Space is not an issue where I am - Scotland, plus a few of us own land.

• Like 2

The mate who gave it to me is running his off of 8s, I had a blast on his earlier today, it fits everything inside, but it's a very tight fit, and it's insanely fun and fast, though he's also running a 47T spur and I think it's a 32T pinion.  Not exactly sure which motor he's running, other than it's a Castle sensored brushless motor, he's not sure which one it is.  I've now got wheels and tires on it, mate had taken them out to glue the tires onto the wheels because silly me didn't buy any tire glue, and forgot to put them back in the box, so my 1/8th scale is now a complete rolling chassis.

11 hours ago, Bajadre said:

sounds good brother build a little track couple of jumps and berms etc  truggys awesome fun round them 👍

One of my mates has done that on land he owns, he completely wrote off  his Baja on Friday in epic expensive fashion tearing it round his wee track

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Grogg said:

The mate who gave it to me is running his off of 8s, I had a blast on his earlier today, it fits everything inside, but it's a very tight fit, and it's insanely fun and fast, though he's also running a 47T spur and I think it's a 32T pinion.  Not exactly sure which motor he's running, other than it's a Castle sensored brushless motor, he's not sure which one it is.  I've now got wheels and tires on it, mate had taken them out to glue the tires onto the wheels because silly me didn't buy any tire glue, and forgot to put them back in the box, so my 1/8th scale is now a complete rolling chassis.

One of my mates has done that on land he owns, he completely wrote off  his Baja on Friday in epic expensive fashion tearing it round his wee track

This I need to see!!  I cant even fathom where the lipo’s fit, let alone the motor?! 

Guessing its this combo

https://www.applianceelectronics.co.uk/viewproduct/19200/castle-mamba-monster-x-8s-336v-esc-w1717-1650kv-sensored-motor-p-cc010-0165-02

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

This I need to see!!  I cant even fathom where the lipo’s fit, let alone the motor?! 

Guessing its this combo

https://www.applianceelectronics.co.uk/viewproduct/19200/castle-mamba-monster-x-8s-336v-esc-w1717-1650kv-sensored-motor-p-cc010-0165-02

He's pulled out the battery tray that comes with the RC, and the batteries are strapped and Velcro taped directly to the chassis, it's a very tight fit, but it all fits.

The motor and ESC you linked too looks identical to what he has in his, but then all the Castle motors I've been looking at since I got home look the same, green stainless steel sleeve with Castle Sensored written on them in white.  It's insanely fast, and a heck of a lot of fun, but burns through batteries very fast

• Like 1

My 2 pennorth. I run everything I have, Scalers, Rock Crawlers, Rock Bouncer and Rally on at least 1S lower than the maker says it'll take. My Axial RBX10 Ryft is huge fun on 2S and bananas on 3S yet Axial recommend 3-4S. My thought is if any maker say it will take 4S, then it will and they'll expect to be selling you plenty of spares/upgrades.

If you don't mind the cash and spanner wrenching then by all means go for broke on power.

• Like 3

On 13/03/2023 at 22:13, Grogg said:

He's pulled out the battery tray that comes with the RC, and the batteries are strapped and Velcro taped directly to the chassis, it's a very tight fit, but it all fits.

The motor and ESC you linked too looks identical to what he has in his, but then all the Castle motors I've been looking at since I got home look the same, green stainless steel sleeve with Castle Sensored written on them in white.  It's insanely fast, and a heck of a lot of fun, but burns through batteries very fast

can you get us video of that beast going? i would love to see it 🙂

• 1 month later...

I have to say that one of the huge advantages 1/10 scale has over 1/8 scale, or indeed any other scale I'd say, is the amount of accessories available for it.  I just bought another 1/8 scale, and a new body shell to go with it, the selection of lighting, or rather huge lack of lighting for anything other than 1/10 scale is glaring.  Even with body shells, I don't think I've seen body shells that aren't 1/10 scale that come with light buckets