• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

'Noob' Questions on 2.4GHz Receivers

ZaphodB

Okay,

So I have a few questions on receivers that perhaps the cognescenti can help with 🙂

1. My son seems to be getting some interference with his 2.4GHz transmitter/receiver combo.  He has a Planet RC TS2+2  2-Channel Stick Transmitter with 6-channel Planet Proteus receiver.

Could it be the aerial is too close to the power leads - specically the motor leads?

We've done what we can to move them as far away as possible but he is still having issues in a small sports/community hall (approx 20m x 10m) where he appears to be either losing signal or getting interference.

And yes, we have changed the transmitter batteries for fresh ones!

Is there any way to change the transmitting channel (like Broadband WiFi routers using a less "clogged' channel for better bandwidth?

2. Can you use any receiver with this transmitter? 

I'm guessing that the answer is "generally, yes" however aren't Spektrum sysstems somewhat finnicky and don't play nicely with other manufacturer's equipment (or do I have that somewhat round my neck?)

3. If you can use any receiver with this transmitter, is the Planet Proteus okay or are there better ones (i.e. with better reception - e.g. Futaba)?

4. If the Planet transmitter/receiver combo is a poor choice - can you suggest a better transmitter and/or receiver that is at the "budget" end of the market (in other words, not in the £100+ bracket).

Given the size of the hall, I'm most surprised that he seems to be having these sorts of issues.

Tnanks in advance,

Zaph

Hi Zaph,

I don't have any experience with that radio system in particular but generally you can't mix and match receivers and handsets. Only certain pairings work. You also cannot change band width as this will be set when you turn on the handset. Interference used to be more of an issue on older radios, and moving the aerial away from the motor should help. Is it sticking up? 

Maybe something in the hall itself is causing issue. I would expect high end radios to suffer less, but I myself use fairly cheap ones and rarely have issue. Recently I attended a meet in a hall and believe it or not I did have interference (only slight) when driving past a particular chair. 

If you have another handset and receiver combo, it might be worth a try, but it could be the same. Maybe post a photo of your current receiver setup?

• Like 1

could try a receiver box for your RX OP if you dont use one and yes keep it as far away from esc and motor leads as possible,sounds that its picking interference in that hall? 2.4ghz should scan the range why your able to run aload of rcs on same freq etc 

am not sure on which protocol Planet RCuses but some clone brands can be used with some makes.

luckily nowadays even the cheap 2.ghz TX/RX have great range unto the old days of AM/FM i use this TX on mine and gets out a good few hundred metres buts its only a one model TX etc

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/futaba-t3prka-3-channel-24g-fhss-dry-with-r203gf-401033 

let us know your budget am sure the lads can steer you in the right direction if you wanna change transmitter 👍

Recently I attended a meet in a hall and believe it or not I did have interference (only slight) when driving past a particular chair. 

can believe that andy when we fly our video link is 5.8ghz if you fly near any large metal object we get  some video interference etc luckly we can change the power output my googles are hacked to  1200mw  😲can head miles out on that power lol when flying together we use channels as far apart as possible and bring it down to 300mw etc when i fly local on the hack i can pick up free view TV channels😁

On 15/02/2023 at 10:35, AndyMB said:

Hi Zaph,

I don't have any experience with that radio system in particular but generally you can't mix and match receivers and handsets. Only certain pairings work. You also cannot change band width as this will be set when you turn on the handset. Interference used to be more of an issue on older radios, and moving the aerial away from the motor should help. Is it sticking up? 

Maybe something in the hall itself is causing issue. I would expect high end radios to suffer less, but I myself use fairly cheap ones and rarely have issue. Recently I attended a meet in a hall and believe it or not I did have interference (only slight) when driving past a particular chair. 

If you have another handset and receiver combo, it might be worth a try, but it could be the same. Maybe post a photo of your current receiver setup?

Can't post a pic of the old set-up as I've had a go at 're-plumbing' the electrics to make it much more tidy (and less of a rat's nest of wires) but I can post the 'new & improved' setup no problem.

Haven't run the car with this new wiring set-up yet - last race meet was on 17th Feb and I only re-wired the car on Monday 20th.

Pic below is of the new wiring.

1099832896_X-RAYT1Chassis.thumb.jpeg.5017045ee8689547330c285d96541ff7.jpeg

Note the above has a NiMH battery pack, in race meetings, we run a 6000mAh 2S Hard Case LiPo.

[Car is an X-Ray T1 FK '05 dating from 2005 (so Vintage) as is the ESC which is a Novak GTX.  The hardest part of running this car now is adapting it to fit a LiPo battery.  Picture above shows our bodged solution - using Velcro straps attached to the battery retaining strap.  I have just finished a further mod today to use Velcro on the batteries themselves - which is shown below.]

797350772_X-RAYT1Chassis(2).thumb.jpeg.4a07ac785b23c154c7ed65488f7c05f1.jpeg

On 15/02/2023 at 12:48, Bajadre said:

could try a receiver box for your RX OP if you dont use one and yes keep it as far away from esc and motor leads as possible,sounds that its picking interference in that hall? 2.4ghz should scan the range why your able to run aload of rcs on same freq etc 

am not sure on which protocol Planet RCuses but some clone brands can be used with some makes.

luckily nowadays even the cheap 2.ghz TX/RX have great range unto the old days of AM/FM i use this TX on mine and gets out a good few hundred metres buts its only a one model TX etc

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/futaba-t3prka-3-channel-24g-fhss-dry-with-r203gf-401033 

let us know your budget am sure the lads can steer you in the right direction if you wanna change transmitter 👍

can believe that andy when we fly our video link is 5.8ghz if you fly near any large metal object we get  some video interference etc luckly we can change the power output my googles are hacked to  1200mw  😲can head miles out on that power lol when flying together we use channels as far apart as possible and bring it down to 300mw etc when i fly local on the hack i can pick up free view TV channels😁

@bajadre

Sorry for the late reply to your post (above).

Budget is sub-£100, ideally below £80.

Looking at the FlySky FS-ST8 with the FS-SR8 receiver which (if you can get one) seems to be about £80.

Any thoughts on this transmitter/receiver combo?

Looking to control a 1/10 on-road RC car.

Cheers,

Zaph

Edited by ZaphodB
  • Like 1

I might be wrong but it could be your ESC and the power cap that is causing the interference. Quite old tech (although really cool to see) and could be causing some glitching. Maybe just something to try if you had another ESC you could use.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AndyMB said:

I might be wrong but it could be your ESC and the power cap that is causing the interference. Quite old tech (although really cool to see) and could be causing some glitching. Maybe just something to try if you had another ESC you could use.

Tnanks Andy,

That's an idea - we hadn't considered that.

Will give that a go.

Zaph

On 23/02/2023 at 01:38, Bajadre said:

Flysky do some decent TXs mate yeah  👍 i see its a stick radio obv your preference,i find a pistol grip radio a lot better for racing as the throttle control is a lot better also the steering but thats my opinion only.

the GT3B or C is worth a look 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GT3B-2-4G-Flysky-FS-GT3B-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B00LP1LYAI

Thanks @Bajadre  Unfortunately, my son needs more than a 3Ch receiver (steering servo, ESC, MRT Transponder and at least one fan).

The current Planet RC Proteus is a 6Ch affair so more than enough capacity (as can be seen in the first picture in Wednesday's post).

Looking at the FlySky FS-ST8 Tx/Rx combo (my son prefers stick throttles to wheels).

We will swap the radio gear into a Tamiya TT-02 chassis that has the kit-supplied Tamiya ESC and see if it still has loss-of-signal issues next Monday evening (27th).  If it does in a 20 x 10m hall then it is deffo either the Tx or Rx unit methinks.

Zaph

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZaphodB said:

Thanks @Bajadre  Unfortunately, my son needs more than a 3Ch receiver (steering servo, ESC, MRT Transponder and at least one fan).

The current Planet RC Proteus is a 6Ch affair so more than enough capacity (as can be seen in the first picture in Wednesday's post).

Looking at the FlySky FS-ST8 Tx/Rx combo (my son prefers stick throttles to wheels).

We will swap the radio gear into a Tamiya TT-02 chassis that has the kit-supplied Tamiya ESC and see if it still has loss-of-signal issues next Monday evening (27th).  If it does in a 20 x 10m hall then it is deffo either the Tx or Rx unit methinks.

Zaph

The Transponder and Fan dont need a channel per se, they just need power, be it via a y lead etc.

All that load could be dragging your BEC voltage down, thus causing either a brown out (brief cut of power to radio gear) or just shortening the range because the voltage has dropped a tad. 

That’s a good point Tug

We could try running with and without the fans (he’s running two)  then try it with one.

We’ll see what happens on Monday night. 

Zaph

UPDATE:

Well ...

It ran better but there still seemed to be the odd brief dropout and a fellow (experienced) racer commented that the car seemed to have transmitter issues.

We decided to drop the Tx/Rx back to the retailer (in a day or two when it is convenient - the shop is 40 miles away) and we'll see what they say.

Zaph

Edited by ZaphodB