• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Modernising an old classic!

Rustic Ade

My folks were sorting their loft out and found an early 90's Mardave Cobra sport I had back then.

The car is complete but the transmitter is missing.

Has anyone upgraded an old car like this to modern electronics/motor etc?

How did you get on?

Could it be done on a budget?

Any pictures?

I had considered monkeying about and converting other cars to run off the same control so would need to get a tIMG20230129161440.thumb.jpg.0a3757926bd63a5547ad1d247d8eb939.jpgIMG20230129161448.thumb.jpg.0805659147a95d0b1c5cba08d8961c90.jpgIMG20230129161457.thumb.jpg.8ba7ccbfd2c43968f6cfd943fa0cef83.jpgIMG20230129161506.thumb.jpg.eaf9e9b0cd81cf3f9385bbd999474c14.jpgIMG20230129161516.thumb.jpg.d813c9935c5734fa141bef3305379c48.jpgx compatible with the receiver's in other cars so was thinking separate rx and esc.

What batteries is the motor shown compatible with? I have some 2s lipos from the kids wltoys cars.

• Like 1

Any suggestions? I really am novice and need to figure out 'turns' etc.

Had been tempted to just wing it and buy the electronics set for something like the kids wltoys buggies, i.e motor, esc, steering servo. Then but a tx and rx (hearing about flysky and Dumbo RC), which I could then convert to control other cars by fitting new rx units to them.

Or am I being naive with regards to simply slapping some gear in?

What about the Dumbo/Flysky transmitters so I can have one handset for different cars. Was thinking of putting a gyro rx in my Big Rock, my brother has one in his Votecks and he'll hand me my arse on a plate when we catch up.

1 hour ago, Rustic Ade said:

Is that motor just not suitable for that car?

Should be ok however if it's 20 years old personally I'd replace it. 

If you want a multi channel radio look at the flysky GT5, new RXs are about £7 and you get get one with a gyro for £15-20 plus it has a nice screen.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2023 at 20:24, Alex97 said:

Should be ok however if it's 20 years old personally I'd replace it. 

If you want a multi channel radio look at the flysky GT5, new RXs are about £7 and you get get one with a gyro for £15-20 plus it has a nice screen.  

Bought one, great unit, even I have been able to monkey about with adjusting settings!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve-O2021 said:

Yeah but it's a bit of fun. Or would be if I could get it going faster than I can walk!

I don't know anything about the motors and pinion gears. I have a 14 tooth on the motor which goes to a 58 toothed gear.

All standard gearbox/diff, motor isn't but don't know what it is.

Any suggestions for making it quicker, it does seem to handle well albeit slow.

6 hours ago, Steve-O2021 said:

Back when I had one brushless wasn't around and it was all 27mhz crystals etc and transmitters with 6ft antennas lol...

Only mods I did was an ESC and Modified Motor

That's the era I got it, mid 90's.

49 minutes ago, Rustic Ade said:

Yeah but it's a bit of fun. Or would be if I could get it going faster than I can walk!

I don't know anything about the motors and pinion gears. I have a 14 tooth on the motor which goes to a 58 toothed gear.

All standard gearbox/diff, motor isn't but don't know what it is.

Any suggestions for making it quicker, it does seem to handle well albeit slow.

I’d just run it with the gearing you have for now. But if you want to go a bit faster get a larger pinion, or if you feel it needs more torque, get a smaller pinion. Pinion gears are relatively cheap and easy to swap, so experiment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fat Freddy said:

I’d just run it with the gearing you have for now. But if you want to go a bit faster get a larger pinion, or if you feel it needs more torque, get a smaller pinion. Pinion gears are relatively cheap and easy to swap, so experiment. 

It really is slow. The pinion gear it the small one right? Attached directly to the motor?

The one I have it 14 toothed, how much bigger would I go to have a noticeable increase in speed? I guess it's compromise between speed and strain on the motor.

22 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

if you go with a bigger pinion youl have to watch motor temps to makes sure it doesnt get to hot 

It already gets hot. Just has no guts. Could the age of the motor be an issue? Do you reckon I should contact Mardave direct and see what they recommend?