• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hello - New to RC

Hello everyone, my name is Spike (yes real name) and I'm a 41 year old who has always wanted to get into RC but never really taken the plunge. 

I've now made a purchase, nothing fancy, I ordered a HBX 16889a Pro as a way to get started. I read and watched a lot of reviews and this seemed to be a good model to get started with without forking out a large sum of money. 

I've been reading a lot about electric RCs but the one thing I'm struggling with is body sizes. I spend all my time customising things, I love anything I can customise so I've already been looking into clear body shells and how to paint them but I've not yet been able to identify if a certain body shell will fit an RC car? I've seen the scales such as 1/16 etc but I've also read that you can't just pick any 1/16 to fit another 1/16 scale RC car and when I've searched on Google for something that may help me understand what body shells are compatible with a Hbx16889a Pro I only seem to find the same 4-5 body types. Is there any kind of website that shows you what is compatible with certain models or is it a case of measuring out the RC car and its clip placements and drilling your own holes to essentially make a body fit? 

I feel I've dived onto something very complex head first haha

• Like 3

welcome to MSUK spike and the hobby 👍

on the shell question do some measurements etc you can get away with different brands if you can drill the holes yourself yes !! i see that models a truck shell so most 1/16th truck or truggy shells will fit with a bit of fettling 😁