• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FMS FCX24 ?

Trev_TJ

After some advice please.
Am a newb with RC, have been looking around for my first one for while now.
The FMX FCX24 has caught my eye, but despite rave reviews on YouTube, doesn't seem to be very prevalent in the UK.

Does anyone have one and what do you think?

My main thoughts for going for it are:
I'm a beginner and will be sharing it with my 5 yr old son who has some toy RC's but still needs to learn to drive;
I thought the 2 speed would be good for the boy to learn plus we can run it faster when we take it out on walks;
We live in a small terrace so thought it would be a good size for our back yard, could leave the boy to it without needing to go out and about, could build a track too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

12 hours ago, Trev_TJ said:
After some advice please.
Am a newb with RC, have been looking around for my first one for while now.
The FMX FCX24 has caught my eye, but despite rave reviews on YouTube, doesn't seem to be very prevalent in the UK.

Does anyone have one and what do you think?

My main thoughts for going for it are:
I'm a beginner and will be sharing it with my 5 yr old son who has some toy RC's but still needs to learn to drive;
I thought the 2 speed would be good for the boy to learn plus we can run it faster when we take it out on walks;
We live in a small terrace so thought it would be a good size for our back yard, could leave the boy to it without needing to go out and about, could build a track too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I can't specifically comment on the FCX24 as I don't have one but I do have various 1:24 and 1:18 scale RC crawlers.  My son started to have an interest in RC cars when he was 4.  He first got a toy RC car and found it difficult to get used to.  The controls are non-proportional and they are either full power or no power so hard to drive smoothly.  Also steering is poor and battery life rather disappointing.  Outdoors was impossible.  He then started using my hobby grade crawlers with fully proportional controls and it was immediately much more successful.  The speed is much lower and when you release the throttle the car stops rather than glides.  He got used to it very quickly and soon learnt how to control it nicely.  We use the cars indoors where we crawl over various home-made ramps and obstacles or outdoor in the sand and dirt.  Due to the lower speeds, crashes are forgiven more easily.

If I had to choose between 1:24 and 1:18 I would go for the slightly larger 1:18 scale just because it has slightly better performance if going outside.  FMS / ROC Hobby / Eazy RC have some nice machines at this scale that start at less than 100 GBP.  The Axial SCX24 are also well regarded and come with polycarbonate or hard body options.  Other options are the FTX Outback Mini X and new Traxxas TRX-4M.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, norwegiarc said:

I believe i saw news that FMS  released 24scale Monstertruck Bigfoot with metal axles ?

Yes, the Max Smasher with Bigfoot and USA-1 style versions (not licensed).