• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 8 Centre Diff Bearings

ISMardKB

One of my bearings is shot and I need to replace it. Got a new one but how do I remove and replace it? Do I remove the 4 hex bolts that hold the large gear in place? I think it might be the spider diff as it’s the pro model. 

Edited by ISMardKB
Wrong word

Yes the diff needs to be apart to replace the bearings. If it is a spider diff then it is a pain as there are holes in the bottom case which allows any internal oil to come out when the retaining screws are removed. There is a one piece plastic tool to plug all these holes but I just use pieces of wooden cocktail sticks to plug the holes.  You will need to refill with diff oil.

The centre diff isn’t a spider diff after all but the f+r are. Awaiting diff fluid to refill centre one but haven’t taken the f+r apart yet. 
When I took the rear diff out of the box there was a lot of metal swarf around and the bevel pinion had been scraping the spider casing. The bearing with the red arrow in my pic was missing! Why would that be?

A5CAE512-10E1-40C6-83E9-EC15AFAD49F2.jpeg

FAE4DD40-E245-4272-9701-BAAD0E1D41AD.jpeg

A1234BDD-2904-4721-BC3E-E2FADDACCADE.jpeg

1BD11BBB-43E6-49A8-9AD8-028A7368AA20.jpeg

The drive pinion gear will not be held true without both bearings, so looks like it was rubbing against the diff case.  Put the diff in and check that there is no play side to side and also the drive pinion gear doesnt move in and out.  Hyper diffs dont normally need shimming. Rotate the diff to check how the mesh feels between he two gears.  If the teeth look good and mesh feels good  then your good to go. That's why it is always useful to tear down a new used car as there can be hidden faults.

Will do Locky. Ty. 
The Surpass motor and ESC arrived today, it has twin connectors. Can I just use one connector and leave the other as is or will it need something doing to it? Bypassing somehow?

Also going back to the diffs, do the internal gears need grease on them? I have normal LM grease, white lithium grease and a”food grade”  silicone grease intended for homebrew  O-ring beer connections. 
which if any would be best?

If using one esc battery connector then the other one needs a loop connector, just find one with same style plug...https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/2562/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=loop+connector&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=10

Diff should have grease or silicone oil.  Grease will do if at hand for garden bashing.  Silicone oil allows some tuning so racers swap diffs according to track conditions, centre diff oil is usually much thicker than front/rear .

15824512935_c4769325fe_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...