• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Silver can budget rally build off

Cuiken

It’s been another busy weekend with the family but I managed to get a couple oh hours to myself this evening so have made a bit of progress with the XV-01 kit. 

C41749E1-D7A2-4CF3-ACC1-827645FC23FF.thumb.jpeg.6dabfe80291393816c3f25412d78dd2f.jpeg

Things I’ve learnt so far:

️ Tamiya do love to add in a spacer piece or two. Some (most?) of these seem to be there just to give you more parts for the build?

️ Tamiya turnbuckles and my fingers aren’t good friends anymore. 
️ I really hate JIS screws. They are possibly slipping because I’m using a Philips screwdriver but whatever is going on with them they feel like a massive step down from every other kit I’ve built before this one. I’ve managed to swap out all but two of them so far, with stainless socket head parts, but I have had to order one new screw size that wasn’t in my stash.

47FD100E-41E7-486B-9197-2D90EBCBCC1D.thumb.jpeg.43f9362bfa16de4ca194f40fcc9026eb.jpeg

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Cuiken said:

Loving the look of the HPI under that Audi shell. Looking forward to hearing how that runs.

Nice job on the XV-01 too. It's a great build and great fun to drive when you're done too. Are you using the stock pinion? I'm still having heat issues on mine. Keen to hear how you get on.

The Traxxas rally is just too big to be in class but it is a really appealing car. I've nearly bought a used one several times. Never quite gone for it.

As an aside, I was away at the weekend and found this spot just outside Aviemore. I hade no RC cars with me but it looked like the ideal spot to mark out a rally course:

rUrtCFW.png

Lastly, I got the TA03F all serviced and reassembled. I even managed to salvage the battered shell with some shoo goo and tape:

QvuFf7g.png

Total spend on this car remains very low. £70 purchase - sales of radio and ESC bring it in at ~£30! I've had to ball race the car and splashed out on a torque splitter (£25) but even then it's only £70 and drives superbly.

You’ve got to go back there for a spot of rallying! It looks perfect 👍🏻 

Hoping to have the HPI finished and out for a run at the weekend providing I have no work on.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cuiken said:

Nice job on the XV-01 too. It's a great build and great fun to drive when you're done too. Are you using the stock pinion? I'm still having heat issues on mine. Keen to hear how you get on.

Thanks. For now I’ll be keeping things pretty much stock to try and get in under the budget so will just be running with the stock gearing. I’ve gone with the kit’s ceramic grease in the main gears to try and keep the friction down rather than stuffing some of my usual sticky waterproof grease in too. I’ve upped the diff oil weight to 5000 cst too as I’ll hopefully be running in more dirt than tarmac, though I doubt that will have much impact on motor temps. 

I May need a clarification on the rules soon as I’ve only sold the Tx/Rx combi from the spare bits I put up on eBay so far. I wasn’t sure if using money from that towards the build was fair game or if I should only be counting stuff that was in, or could have gone in, the car. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, BigGinge said:

Thanks. For now I’ll be keeping things pretty much stock to try and get in under the budget so will just be running with the stock gearing. I’ve gone with the kit’s ceramic grease in the main gears to try and keep the friction down rather than stuffing some of my usual sticky waterproof grease in too. I’ve upped the diff oil weight to 5000 cst too as I’ll hopefully be running in more dirt than tarmac, though I doubt that will have much impact on motor temps. 

I May need a clarification on the rules soon as I’ve only sold the Tx/Rx combi from the spare bits I put up on eBay so far. I wasn’t sure if using money from that towards the build was fair game or if I should only be counting stuff that was in, or could have gone in, the car. 

Well, donning my cap as the Bernie Ecclestone of this particular racing class, I'd say this:

The original rules stipulated a total £200 or less with the following guidance:

1. Money spent on the car or any parts for the car must be deducted from the budget

2.  Any components that come with a purchased car or kit that are not being used (a brushless motor/ESC or receiver/transmitter for example) can be sold on with revenue from sale added back onto available budget

3. You can raid your own spares box. My thinking on this would be things like wheels/tyres, receiver, brushed motor and/or ESC, servo etc

I think an area of ambiguity is the sale of things from your spares box to fund the car. This could get tricky as I probably have a couple of hundred quid's worth of stuff in my spares box that I could sell if I include wheels, motors etc.

That said, Bernie has never been averse to a bit of creative accounting so who am I to judge?

• Haha 2

If anyone in this thread is struggling to come in under budget ill donate this for the price of postage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334567938173?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=t4BQ8_QoRBC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=t4BQ8_QoRBC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just send me a PM

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

If anyone in this thread is struggling to come in under budget ill donate this for the price of postage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334567938173?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=t4BQ8_QoRBC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=t4BQ8_QoRBC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just send me a PM

I don’t need it but that’s very generous mate 🍻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomr said:

Coming along nicely 👍🏻
Are ya going box art with the body?

I think I’m going to try something a bit different for this one. Though probably not anything too original. 

there may have been a clue in the postie thread a while back. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

I think I’m going to try something a bit different for this one. Though probably not anything too original. 

there may have been a clue in the postie thread a while back. 

Ha ha yes just had a look, they actually look great in that colour 👍🏻

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigGinge said:

So, despite the wife being scheduled to head into the maternity hospital we’ve been sat at home all day so far waiting for a bed to free up. This has given me plenty of time to finish off the XV-01 chassis build. 

5249714B-BFBF-4E91-9830-1F04134BF4D9.thumb.jpeg.f92a4901966c6eefa4dc4dbde7e1d889.jpeg

I’ve started putting the electronics in but forgot to “borrow” some wire for making up a battery lead and redoing the wiring to the motor when I was last at work so will have to finish up another time. 

Depending on how things go for the rest of the day I may  or may not, make a start on the shell. 

Looking good mate 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

I did have one question about the electronics on the XV-01. 

How hot do people find their ESC gets inside the lidded electronics box? Will I likely be ok if I’m running a hobby wing 1080 and the stock silver can on 2S or is it best to try and take one or more of the caps off the lid to get a bit of extra air in?

4 hours ago, BigGinge said:

So, despite the wife being scheduled to head into the maternity hospital we’ve been sat at home all day so far waiting for a bed to free up. This has given me plenty of time to finish off the XV-01 chassis build. 

5249714B-BFBF-4E91-9830-1F04134BF4D9.thumb.jpeg.f92a4901966c6eefa4dc4dbde7e1d889.jpeg

I’ve started putting the electronics in but forgot to “borrow” some wire for making up a battery lead and redoing the wiring to the motor when I was last at work so will have to finish up another time. 

Depending on how things go for the rest of the day I may  or may not, make a start on the shell. 

All the best to you and your Mrs mate x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BigGinge said:

How hot do people find their ESC gets inside the lidded electronics box? Will I likely be ok if I’m running a hobby wing 1080 and the stock silver can on 2S or is it best to try and take one or more of the caps off the lid to get a bit of extra air in?

I’m just gunna run mine with the lid on and see what happens 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomr said:

I’m just gunna run mine with the lid on and see what happens 👍🏻

In the absence of any comments to suggest doing otherwise that is probably my plan too. 

• Like 3

Despite buying zero offset 24mm wheels the Quattro body is still a little narrow to fit the HPI,  ordered a new body, paint, wheels and tyres for £61 so the budget spend is now at £186 …..ooooooh still got 14 quid to spend 😁

I found a lightly used Maverick Strada DC brushless for £60 pretty local to me so went and picked it up.

It didn’t come with a body but everything else is there and it’s in great condition, hopefully it’ll make a decent rally machine.

EC02ADF2-3BB6-4A8E-914F-A7F35F752346.thumb.jpeg.05df36411b5094fdb8934cb71eaf3183.jpeg

E7473E16-6395-4DF3-AB3D-020E4A429CFA.thumb.jpeg.538b03b7fc998013eaaed750b3ac54b5.jpeg

• Like 2

On 23/09/2022 at 18:20, BigGinge said:

I have a wee fan on the smaller of the two caps on mine. No idea if it helps 🙂 

More importantly though, congrats and hope all is well mate!

• Thanks 1

On 25/09/2022 at 16:25, tomr said:

Despite buying zero offset 24mm wheels the Quattro body is still a little narrow to fit the HPI,  ordered a new body, paint, wheels and tyres for £61 so the budget spend is now at £186 …..ooooooh still got 14 quid to spend 😁

I found a lightly used Maverick Strada DC brushless for £60 pretty local to me so went and picked it up.

It didn’t come with a body but everything else is there and it’s in great condition, hopefully it’ll make a decent rally machine.

EC02ADF2-3BB6-4A8E-914F-A7F35F752346.thumb.jpeg.05df36411b5094fdb8934cb71eaf3183.jpeg

E7473E16-6395-4DF3-AB3D-020E4A429CFA.thumb.jpeg.538b03b7fc998013eaaed750b3ac54b5.jpeg

Nice find!

Yeah, the HPI bodies are fractionally wider. I have one on my XV01 and had to go with fairly extreme offset wheels to fill the wheel arches.

• Like 1