• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is bangood a decent place to buy budget motor and esc’s from?

Brett12

I’ve been looking at budget brushless hop ups for my sons 2wd traxxas rustler xl-5 and after posting on here have seen a  combo made by SMD from model sport for £55 which was suggested by somebody in here. But after seeing a video online about a guy using a 6s esc from bangood.com in his 2wd traxxas rustler. I want to get a new motor and esc but am now wondering if I should maybe go for a 4s setup. Giving the fact I’m looking at budget I’m guessing a 4s set up would be perfectly fine on 3s 100% of the time. I’ve seen a lot of people say Running 3s on a budget 3s system kills them quickly and that running 2s is more achievable without any problems. hence why I’m thinking of going 4s and running 3s but I’ve never bought anything from there and the prices seem pretty sweet. Probably too sweet in fact. Can I get your opinions. And maybe some suggestions ad if possible links to what I should buy from bangood. Tia chaps

4s might be a bit much for a rustler brett id say the sweet spot is 3s i had the vxl stampede and they flew along for a MT havent heard of SMD but have  bought a few gool rc systems from ebay and they always be good for the money.

just make sure the xl5 drive train will handle 4s power or you will be replacing parts all the time 

• Like 1

Yes, you are safe to order from banggood…..they also sell hobbywing stuff.

Personally I prefer AliExpress due to the customer services (banggoods is crap).

• Like 1

Sounds like you want a Hobbywing WP-SC8. Don't buy a surpass hobby ESC, they're trash. The surpass hobby motors are awesome though. 

After moving to Reds from Hobbywing, Hobbywing FTW. Even my Reds which is a ZTW rebranded, I'm not entirely happy with. Some really silly software issues. Just buy a decent ESC like everyone's echoed and save the drama. 

Banggood is legit, I have found them to be consistently faster than AliX, although anything I buy from China directly I consider to have no warranty or DOA protection so see it as risk. Luckily, other than a few items with very questionable specifications (I'm talking about electronic PCBs and power distribution stuff I've bought), I'd say 95% of the stuff I've purchased over the last decade has been pretty decent and without issue.

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 1

We have been running a banggood surpass esc/motor combo in my boys carnage for a while now. Granted its only run on 2S but never had an issue with it. Maybe we got lucky.