• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

NiMH battery charging worries

Harv7810

I just got a FTX Kanyon and i ordered 2 new battery's and a new charger with it. I got an etronix Powerpal Peak Plus charger and 2 5000mah 6 cell nimh battery's. The battery's seem to get warm at even a 1a charge and the voltage was at 9.5v by the time i took it off because i was concerned. The charger didnt say it was finished though. Is this normal and ok?

IMG_20211025_125559250.jpg

36 minutes ago, Harv7810 said:

I just got a FTX Kanyon and i ordered 2 new battery's and a new charger with it. I got an etronix Powerpal Peak Plus charger and 2 5000mah 6 cell nimh battery's. The battery's seem to get warm at even a 1a charge and the voltage was at 9.5v by the time i took it off because i was concerned. The charger didnt say it was finished though. Is this normal and ok?

IMG_20211025_125559250.jpg

getting warm is normal

• Like 2

yeah nimh and nicads warm up some when charging can remember that much 🙂 thats voltage seems very high though always though it should be 8.4v 6cell fully charged i see that charger does lipo mode too make sure its not in that mode as it will damage the battery and start fires  Harv

• Like 2

I always thought that nimh were charged once they get warm…sounds to me that the charger didn’t detect the delta peak properly and stop charging. Did the charger come with a temp sensor? I’d be using that and being all touchy feely with the battery while charging to check for warmth.

Edited by Ross9999992
Typo

It doesn’t 😞 

Tis only a basic charger and relies on delta peak to shut off…

…it may well have been the 1a charge rate on a 5a pack that caused it though because there wasn’t enough of a v drop.

B5761D78-1DB3-4A42-9382-4278A25003DD.jpeg

Edited by Ross9999992
Picture
  • Like 1