• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nitro cylinder repinching hpi k4.6

johnboybelfast

It works for a bit ..... and is better than binning a tired engine,  but it doesn;t remove wear from conrod or piston, or the liner... but if done carefully, will get a bit more life out of a motor.

Plus, of course, if you mess it up...well...if your compression was low, and the thing was on its last legs, the alrnative was either a replacement engine...or replacing piston/rod and liner.

• Like 1

Hi mate,this looks interesting!I've got an SH28 engine that has hardly any use from new,I've never cooked it or ragged it. It's got zero pinch now although the liner and piston appear to be mint. Can't return it due to the 'nature of the hobby' , disappointed as hardly used it!Anyway I'm going to try your method,as Nitroholic said there's nothing to lose really. Curious to know if you've had much use out of yours since you've fixed it?Good vid too mate👍, loving the tuneage in the background!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

It works for a bit ..... and is better than binning a tired engine,  but it doesn;t remove wear from conrod or piston, or the liner... but if done carefully, will get a bit more life out of a motor.

Plus, of course, if you mess it up...well...if your compression was low, and the thing was on its last legs, the alrnative was either a replacement engine...or replacing piston/rod and liner.

Yes i know all this bro lol the thing it if its done right it will last a good load of gals trust me this thing is banging 👌

This maybe a better clamp....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302160614643?hash=item465a2d14f3:g:HoYAAOSww3tY40ne

I think the most important part is to slowly tighten and rotate the cylinder in  small increments, always checking with the amount of new pinch by sliding up the piston.

Let us know how it performs after a few more tanks of bashing. 

• Like 1

split collet tools ...fancy 🙂 I remember a time, not that long ago...where re-pinching was done with jubilee clips and a gas burner.

How that ever worked well enough to be worth doing, I do not know. You cannot ever get even pressure with a thing designed to clamp a hose! At least that youtuber was using a clamp with an actual near circular clamping device.

Edited by Nitroholic