• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC advice

245jhy

1 hour ago, Bert_w164 said:

Yep, that's why it's worth looking into as a wild card, who knows for the right car OP may just be willing to spend more or go the DIY conversion route. 

As for chargers, IMAX b6 clones do well and are really cheap, happily charge 6S cells, the run time on a decent sized single 4S lipo isn't bad on a buggy. 

At the end of the day it's about options and letting OP know he has a few, budget models, used stuff, build your own and so forth 👍🏽 

Edit: I forgot to say, don't interpret my posts as going against the other options laid out in this thread, not at all. The beauty of this hobby is the vast options available, the Traxxas suggestions are solid with good parts availability and a user base (pretty important when you are looking for advice and or parts)...and Kpowell clearly has a thing for trucks and knows them well, I'm just a buggy-aholic nowadays 😁

I like the look of the traxxas or arrma route. My only sway against traxxas was to get a brushless model seemed alot more of an initial outlay. This is why I was looking at the FTX or arrma route more. 

I would love to build one in time to come, I feel a near enough RTR would be my best route at the moment. 

I'm going to try and check out a local RC hobby shop soon and see what stocking they have or any used possibly. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

We were all Buggy-aholics once….. before we tried Truggies

All of the fun of a buggy but less speed and worse handling. None of the fun of driving a MT on 2 wheels and constant traction rolls…truggies are boring 😄 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 245jhy said:

My only sway against traxxas was to get a brushless model seemed alot more of an initial outlay.

This is a true story, traxxas do overvalue their stock brushless systems…best to get a brushed and slap a China brushless combo in it imo (or get a used traxxas brushless).

Edited by Ross9999992
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ross9999992 said:

All of the fun of a buggy but less speed and worse handling. None of the fun of driving a MT on 2 wheels and constant traction rolls…truggies are boring 😄 

But dont have to be used on pristine surfaces. 1:8th Buggies suck off road

49 minutes ago, 245jhy said:

Thank you for the links, are the rustlers worth the money? I've never used one, but have found contrasting information online. Same for all products I know 🤣

Thats fair, yes you can go Brushless from the off for that money. I just personally “trust” Traxxas more than the likes of FTX/Maverick etc. 

I also saw you were new to RC so thought a 30mph RC would be fine for you to learn the ropes, and then you can wack a brushless system in it for not much. In fact, the stock Traxxas Brushed ESC and Motor can be sold and a budget brushless system brought for a similar price. 

Id urge you to look 2nd hand. Much more bang for your buck. An Arrma 3S model would be a great model

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ross9999992 said:

This is a true story, traxxas do overvalue their stock brushless systems…best to get a brushed and slap a China brushless combo in it imo (or get a used traxxas brushless).

That sounds like a plan to me, better with a stampede or a rustler do you think? 

38 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Thats fair, yes you can go Brushless from the off for that money. I just personally “trust” Traxxas more than the likes of FTX/Maverick etc. 

I also saw you were new to RC so thought a 30mph RC would be fine for you to learn the ropes, and then you can wack a brushless system in it for not much. In fact, the stock Traxxas Brushed ESC and Motor can be sold and a budget brushless system brought for a similar price. 

Id urge you to look 2nd hand. Much more bang for your buck. An Arrma 3S model would be a great model

I'd definitely love an arrma 3S, I've not found many used locally or at all with delivery currently. I will keep looking at them though. 

30mph would be definitely more than enough for a newbie and brushless in the future will be a fun setup for me in the future 😎

5 minutes ago, 245jhy said:

better with a stampede or a rustler do you think?

That’s a personal preference kind of thing, personally if I could only choose one for starters I’d take a mt (so the stampede) but a little st (2wd rustler style) can also be fun but limits where you can use it more. Kinda like what @Kpowell911 said about truggy vs buggy off road up there 👆🏻

5 minutes ago, 245jhy said:

I've just come across this arrma granite brushed 4x4 brand new full setup 

https://www.applianceelectronics.co.uk/viewproduct/16042/granite-4x4-mega-c-ara4202v3it1-550-slt3-monster-truck-rtr-blue

Seems a very good price and good modifications can be done for 2s or 3s brushless also. 

That looks great, but id try and get a better charger (straight away) and eventually a lipo to replace the stock charger and the nimh battery

3 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

That looks great, but id try and get a better charger (straight away) and eventually a lipo to replace the stock charger and the nimh battery

Definitely, I will look to get a 2s/3s capable charger. Ready for getting a 2s on it and then upgrading to 3s later on with a brushless motor on it. 

Thought much better and more robust than cheaper brands 

5 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Just double check the differences between the Brushed and Brushless Arrma 3S range. I think theres a few changes?

I will have a look, in all honesty I would be happy with this brushed on 2s and then possibly upgrade to brushless and stay on 2s system whilst I learn the ropes on it

7 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Rustler PERSONALLY!

or look at the Maverick Quantum Flux thingy? I Think @Jack Reacheris selling one?

Yes i did have the maverick flux MT 80+ for sale, i may well relist it at a later date  as just not using it

if trying to upgrade the arma mega to brushless it could prove quite expensive

9 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

I've ordered the arrma granite now, which charger would be good start point? I would probably want one that does 2s/3s to future proof 

59 minutes ago, 245jhy said:

I've ordered the arrma granite now, which charger would be good start point? I would probably want one that does 2s/3s to future proof 

The one I posted before would be suffice for the money. 

Or you could go for an Overlander 70a, around £45?

Bare in mind youll maybe need a charge lead with your desired connector so around £4 for that

3 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

The one I posted before would be suffice for the money. 

Or you could go for an Overlander 70a, around £45?

Bare in mind youll maybe need a charge lead with your desired connector so around £4 for that

That seems fairly priced for the better charger and then like you say different connector for using 2s battery's 

Are there any 2s to avoid brand wise? 

23 minutes ago, 245jhy said:

That seems fairly priced for the better charger and then like you say different connector for using 2s battery's 

Are there any 2s to avoid brand wise? 

Not really, just avoid anything which has terrible reviews or seems to be a too good to be true capacity/rating at its size. I've seen some funky stuff on eBay. 

I tend to use anything from Amazon that has a good enough review rating, e.g. vorjay, ovonic, turnigy, zee, sundapow etc. 

It's believed that lipos are built in a handful of factories and what you end up paying for is better QC/branding, of course C rating and mah too. Just go with the best C rating/mah within your budget. The C rating refers to how much current they can flow so the higher the better (to an extent, that being until you hit the limits of the rest of the circuit, e.g. what the motor will draw and ESC can provide). 

9 hours ago, Bert_w164 said:

Not really, just avoid anything which has terrible reviews or seems to be a too good to be true capacity/rating at its size. I've seen some funky stuff on eBay. 

I tend to use anything from Amazon that has a good enough review rating, e.g. vorjay, ovonic, turnigy, zee, sundapow etc. 

It's believed that lipos are built in a handful of factories and what you end up paying for is better QC/branding, of course C rating and mah too. Just go with the best C rating/mah within your budget. The C rating refers to how much current they can flow so the higher the better (to an extent, that being until you hit the limits of the rest of the circuit, e.g. what the motor will draw and ESC can provide). 

I've just been on amazon and there are plenty of high Mah 2s battery's for a very fair price point. The ones I'd seen before where gensace battery's in a YouTube video etc. They again seem well priced. 

• Like 1

On 04/10/2021 at 20:21, Kpowell911 said:

But dont have to be used on pristine surfaces. 1:8th Buggies suck off road

As you've been on the journey, how did you find truggy handling compared to buggy? I.e. in the air, what's the difference? 

I've always wondered if I need to complete the 8ight line up with a truggy, I have mini8, buggy 8, LST (not an 8ight, but an 1/8 MT) so based on what you say it may be motivation to complete the line up 😁

1 hour ago, Ross9999992 said:

When you have a buggy and a MT you don’t need a truggy imho 👍🏻

I don't use the MT at all, I've got so use to the handling of a buggy and tried different models, scales etc and time after time it's the buggy which I always go for.

I don't think the MT will stay, it's a shame as I've replaced gears, serviced the whole thing and it's in good shape. 

I'm toying with the idea of a truggy for that reason 😁 but most likely it's looking like another buggy will be joining.

As the op has ordered a granite now I guess we are ok to talk waffle here 😂

But yeah I know what you are saying, I’ve been through a few buggies, truggies and mt’s myself and well yeah…the hyper 7 that’s older than my son (18) is still with me (and a few others but you know the hyper is the favourite) 👍🏻