• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can anyone ID this 1/5th Scale?

Steve-O2021

It is indeed what is left of an Aowei Yama buggy. Engine and clutch are missing, as is the shell. Whats left is pretty corroded and neglected.

I think the rest of the transmission is sitting on the chassis plate in amongst the dirt.

It was a cheap and pretty poorly built buggy in its day.  Some parts are still out there, but I don;t think they are still making them...or at least, I don;t think anyone is selling the cars anymore. For what they cost, you can buyy an entry level KingMotor Baja, which is a much better car and able to benefit from upgrades meant for the HPI buggy. Pretty much killed these off.

The stock motors and carbs were utter garbage, and a nightmare to tune. A guy near me brought his Yama round as he could not get it to run right and asked if I could help. I took off his carb...stuck on a spare Walbro unit I had lying around...and it ran like a dream.

It also had a poor exhaust setup, but hte engine was laid down like an FG onroad...so no aftermarket pipes fitted. Don;t try jumping it either..the chassis will bend.

To be brutally honest.... this will probably cost more than it;s worth to get going.

Your shopping list will require:

Engine / carb and exhaust and airfilter.

Engine and carb is easy...any CY, Zenoah or copy will fit. The exhaust won;t be quite as easy as it will probably be possible to fit a beantin square pipe....but not a tuned one. I cannot see if you have all the engine mounts present, but I suspect you don;t.

Clutch / transmission/brake

The clutch bell is there, but it;s broken. You have one of the gears to connect the engine and diff ...but the clutch bell shaft would have the other, and it's not there. Also missing is the brake assembly ( you have the disc) and the clutch support main part is there, but not all of it.

You have no fuel tank or pipes, and no throttle/brake servo. The control rods are there, but the servo has been smashed. Rear drive is heavily corroded, but should clean up. No idea if the diff is functional unless you open it up.

So....say £100 to get a decent used motor with carb, exhaust and clutch. Another £50 to get the clutch assmebly parts and gears. servo  and radio gear...another £50. Add in fuel tank and system plus whatever bearings, fixings and sundries and top it off with the £67 the project started with and you should be able to complete the project for around £300 total. Assuming you don;t need to spend much on the bits that look OK and you clean up and re-use the rusty driveshafts and shocks etc.

A brand new entry level KMN Baja clone can be had for £399

15 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

To be brutally honest.... this will probably cost more than it;s worth to get going.

Your shopping list will require:

Engine / carb and exhaust and airfilter.

Engine and carb is easy...any CY, Zenoah or copy will fit. The exhaust won;t be quite as easy as it will probably be possible to fit a beantin square pipe....but not a tuned one. I cannot see if you have all the engine mounts present, but I suspect you don;t.

Clutch / transmission/brake

The clutch bell is there, but it;s broken. You have one of the gears to connect the engine and diff ...but the clutch bell shaft would have the other, and it's not there. Also missing is the brake assembly ( you have the disc) and the clutch support main part is there, but not all of it.

You have no fuel tank or pipes, and no throttle/brake servo. The control rods are there, but the servo has been smashed. Rear drive is heavily corroded, but should clean up. No idea if the diff is functional unless you open it up.

So....say £100 to get a decent used motor with carb, exhaust and clutch. Another £50 to get the clutch assmebly parts and gears. servo  and radio gear...another £50. Add in fuel tank and system plus whatever bearings, fixings and sundries and top it off with the £67 the project started with and you should be able to complete the project for around £300 total. Assuming you don;t need to spend much on the bits that look OK and you clean up and re-use the rusty driveshafts and shocks etc.

A brand new entry level KMN Baja clone can be had for £399

Damn should have signed out of eBay...

Maybe an easier option would be converting it to Brushless?...

Not when you see the prices of 1/5 scale brushless motors and ESCs .....

I would suggest looking on E-Bay for used parts and stuff you can use. You may hit lucky on another broken Yama you can use for parts, or at least pick up some stuff you can use for the project.

First thing I would try and do is to get hold of the manual/exploded diagrams so you can work out exactly what you are missing. Then you can get a list of what you don;t have. Then tear apart what arrives in the post so you can clean up the rusty parts, grease/lube what needs it and generally check the condition of bearings and the bits you do have. Anything broken or unusable goes onto the list of what you need.

Then the part search begins.

On 07/06/2021 at 22:51, Nitroholic said:

Not when you see the prices of 1/5 scale brushless motors and ESCs .....

I would suggest looking on E-Bay for used parts and stuff you can use. You may hit lucky on another broken Yama you can use for parts, or at least pick up some stuff you can use for the project.

First thing I would try and do is to get hold of the manual/exploded diagrams so you can work out exactly what you are missing. Then you can get a list of what you don;t have. Then tear apart what arrives in the post so you can clean up the rusty parts, grease/lube what needs it and generally check the condition of bearings and the bits you do have. Anything broken or unusable goes onto the list of what you need.

Then the part search begins.

Good news, the buyer cancelled the sale. Will change my eBay password lol

So you say a KingMotor Baja would be best to go with for a budget?. What about a Rovan buggy?

Thanks

Not so sure on Rovan, but I have owned both an HPI and a KM Baja, and hte base KM one can be had from a UK retailer.

If you are looking to get into 1/5 RC, then the Baja/clone Bajas are the way to go IMHO. There are still plenty of spares and upgrade parts out there and plenty of knowhow

KingMotor make reasonable clones of hte HPI, and 90% of the HPI parts are direct fit.