• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Hotshot re-release ESC help!

Three_Stacks

I recently bought a Tamiya Hotshot re-release, and upgraded the motor to a 10.5T brushless using the 13T pinion.

I have the standard Tamiya TBLE-02 ESC, with a 2S Lipo. I purchased the Tamiya ESC fan, as recommended with the brushless set up, and all installed working fine. Everything was working well for maybe x2 charges, but now I'm getting a shut down after about 5 mins, with the ESC flashing Red, which I understand is an Overload protection error. The ESC is not hot, the motor is not hot either.

I tried running the car at night, with the body off, and also removed the access cover to the ESC, so plenty of cold air... but still getting the shut down and Red flashing light on the ESC.

So my question is, am I really So much on the limit of the ESC (I don't actually know the amp limits - constant or peak) but it does say it will work with a 10.5T Brushless motor ?

Should I just accept defeat and purchase one of the Hobbywing Quickrun 10BL60 ESC's ?

Or should I purchase a Quickrun 10BL120 to be extra safe and totally covered ?

Is there any downside to running a an ESC that is twice as capable as what might be required ?

My thinking is that if I run a 120A ESC when I only really need a 60A ESC, then it will be almost bulletproof, thinking that if it is hardly stressed, it won't get hot, and will never get close to the amp limits so it is not working very hard and therefore unlikely to fail or shut down, but im not sure it that is the correct logic?

You are beter of with a hobbywing 10bl60, I have stop using the tamiya TBLE-02 esc they are not very good I had a lot of problems with the tamiya esc and they do not have a lipo cut off so you have to use a lipo alarm.

The hobbywing 60a is enough you do not need a 120a esc, I am running a castle 5700 kv moter in mine with a 15 tooth pinion and it is fine never had a shut down.

IMG_7345.JPG

• Like 2

As said above, 10BL60 sensored is more than enough for a light 1/10 buggy, hell I still have  a big SCT, prob double the weight of the Hotshot, that came with a 45 amp esc and that's been ragged remorselessly for 6 or 7 years now and esc is still fine.  Furthermore, the 120a quicrun is a LOT bigger than the 60a version, fine with a big truck, but not great when you're trying to squeeze things in a little buggy.