• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Suits' - Arrma TLR ***Woodland Basher Update - 17/08/22***

Suits

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

X Maxx’s make me smile so much 😂😃

It was possibly the most fun I’ve had with it. Was really nice to have some company, it made all the difference. I had a cheesy grin on my face for the rest of the day!

• Like 2

• Suits changed the title to Suits' - Car/Build/Adventure Thread ***Replacing broken parts - 07/02/22***

Did Mrs Suits notice the yoga block was missing? Perfect size for the job!

Glad you got it all fixed up ready for next time. Im looking forward to another session! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Did Mrs Suits notice the yoga block was missing? Perfect size for the job!

Glad you got it all fixed up ready for next time. Im looking forward to another session! 

Yeah man, she knows, she don't care - she's not using them !!!!! 😁

14 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Fair play looks like youve done a stellar job. 

Bold choice of Traxxas Pit Mat with an Arrma, youll cause World War 3 if you put that on social media!

Cheers dude, to be honest the best thing was the hex drivers I bought, they made all the little jobs much, much easier.

Yeah, let all that lot have their fanny fights, I DGAF. I use whatever brands I like 😎.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Had another great run out with @Ant.p this morning in the glorious, Spring-esc sunshine at our little BMX pump track.

Only had the N6 with me today but ended up putting four lots of batteries through her and she flew all day.

Really starting to enjoy this car now that I'm using it in a more open, more airborne way. 

No real damage, although I have ripped out another front bumper mount - which was my own fault, getting a pretty bad landing right on the nose. The ground was super soft, so thankfully it seems that the damage is only to the mount and not the chassis.

Really chopping through these, think I'll go for something else next time.

IMG_2614.thumb.jpeg.739ccfee447c503ef6dc408e0af974a0.jpeg

Was hard to tell at the time due to the bumper being a mess but the chassis still seems to be OK.

IMG_2613.thumb.jpeg.a0c83b3c12fbd43c6447e4ea8a5af9ca.jpeg

When the car was dry and rid of most of the chunky dirt, I had a few beers and started doing some chores on it.

IMG_2612.thumb.jpeg.2ef38193d5ecc61be310bc5c29e92f7a.jpeg

Couple of cheesy vids from today, (thanks to Ant), it felt good jumping today but sadly the videos make it all look pretty sketchy 😆.

I think next time we're going to go visit some woods and maybe grab the Go-Pro 😎.

• Like 3

• Suits changed the title to Suits' - Car/Build/Adventure Thread ***BMX Pump Track - 26/02/22***

Was another great day. Perfect weather for it, even if the ground was a little damp.

That front flips so sketchy it almost looks like a backflip 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • Suits changed the title to Suits' - Car/Build/Adventure Thread ***New TLR Typhon 28/04/22***

fully equipped now! Can’t wait for the next meet to see all this in action. More batteries too 👍🏻😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just having a beer and poking around with a screwdriver and very much getting to know it.

First thing I did which is a bit of a mess on Arrma cars, is the battery tray - those straps suck (in my opinion).

I fitted the batteries, had a think about best support, accessibility and then cut the slack. ** just be mindful you still need to be able to get your fingers into the car to get the strips loose..

IMG_2848.thumb.jpeg.09a7e143e6cdaef3050090d9718c53f9.jpeg

I'll also need to flush cut the ESC mount as the Max6 is just fouling on the ridge.

Perhaps you could squeeze it in, but there's no rush and I'll happily flush that mount, scruff it up and have a much better platform to mount the ESC.

** The ridge in question is to the top of the mount just below right of the cable clip.

IMG_2854.thumb.jpeg.32d7378d926349e20c8c1492a223720d.jpeg

I have to say, the manual is excellent.

It has a great breakdown of basic geometry that shows (through diagrams) what adjusting what dose what.

I'll be getting well into this. I've done a bit of driving IRL, so I have a very basic understanding of adjustment and application.

IMG_2847.thumb.jpeg.f1d1455565d03db3f8d133386a059d8b.jpeg

Then I've just sat here and fiddled with it, lol. 

Going to choose a pinion next.

IMG_2850.thumb.jpeg.b202b928c0311ed99b1cd5bac8739a4e.jpeg

Edited by Suits
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Does the 4985 motor fit in this?

Yes.

Just about, well it's fine you just have to take off the plastic side plate from the chassis to get the mount to slide in nicely.

On 28/04/2022 at 09:14, Suits said:

So, I've bought myself a new toy (been thinking about to for a while now).

Last weekend I was out with a few of the lads ( @Ant.p & @beyondRC ) and had a quick dash around on a Typhon and liked what I felt in terms of handing and grip.

IMG_2840.thumb.jpeg.3877f21823c9adc2d60c168973c1e4b7.jpeg

I'd been looking at the TLR for a while and kind of liked what it offered, I'm really enjoying my bashing at the moment but have always really appreciated handling and performance when it comes to driving IRL and having a quick go on a speed car last week I really started to feel the draw to a quick, solid, fast car.

I like the Arrma cars and platform, I have a few already, like the way they look and I'm comfortable working on them. Plus, I'm a sucker for a Limited Edition/Colab/etc...

I also used a Sanwa MX-6 recently and really noticed the response over the Spektrum radio I was using, so opted for that of RC gear.

Steering servo is one I literally have spare after a warranty replacement, I've also been told that this is an updated version of the S652 over the previous ones issued, so I'll give that a go I think.

Batteries are just a few 5000, 60C packs that will fit into my current rotation, but I'll try and keep these for the Typhon.

Motor and ECS was a choice made after reading the RPM vs Cells pinned post in the electric section. I wanted something I didn't have to rip the guts out of to get shifting and keep at a good temp, this seemed to fit the bill nicely.

Still not chosen a Spur gear yet and will be chatting about what will be the best option, 17t & 18t have been suggested from Modlesport but I may end going with something that will perhaps suit the set-up and use case better. 

This is my first, non-RTR car, so will be an experience in itself putting it all together.

Focus will be to set this up for fast road use, get it running, get it nice and set up for road use then start doing a few speed runs with the boys and their cars.

I'll still have my Notorious 6S for flopping about with but it'll be great to have this is the boot of the car for when we go sprinting.

Well looking forward to it 😁.

Cant wait to see this in action mate! Was a good laugh looking forward to the next one.  

Really glad you enjoyed the Typhon!

Fully agree @Nickthe Sanwa is a great bit of kit and so much better than RTR radios! 

I have no choice but to convert my typhon into a speed run car now just to keep up with you and @Ant.p 🤣

Edited by beyondRC
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, beyondRC said:

Cant wait to see this in action mate! Was a good laugh looking forward to the next one.  

Really glad you enjoyed the Typhon!

Fully agree @Nickthe Sanwa is a great bit of kit and so much better than RTR radios! 

I have no choice but to convert my typhon into a speed run car now just to keep you with you and @Ant.p 🤣

I’ve just replaced all the wheel bearings in my VSe and ordered some shims to take some of the excessive tyre wobble out. 

you’ll do well to keep up with @Suits and his 8s setup, that things gonna go like the clappers🚀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

I’ve just replaced all the wheel bearings in my VSe and ordered some shims to take some of the excessive tyre wobble out. 

you’ll do well to keep up with @Suits and his 8s setup, that things gonna go like the clappers🚀

Love the VSe and a very capable platform. Always loved the Hobao stuff since the nitro hyper 7 days.

Will discuss gearing and options with you Ant when I see you for the Typhon as I have wanted to make it into a 100mph+ car for ages now but never had a place to run those speeds where I used to live but hopefully now will be a good time as we have some good locations. 

It be may doable on stock electronics setup but an upgrade will probably make things so much easier and less grief. 

• Like 1