• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Re-Charging Lipo Battery after Just Been Used.

RG1

What are members views on re charging a lipo battery after it has been run in a 1/8th buggy till it reaches the esc cut off 

voltage. My grandson has a limited number of lipo's and wants to re -charge one as soon as it has been used and luke warm to the touch. Is this ok are is it a bad thing to do. His funds are limited so cant afford to buy any more. Your views really appreciated.

If you charge at 1C, it'll cool while it charges. 

On the other hand, my race nimh packs used to come off the charger too hot to hold. 

You're fine, carry on. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tug said:

If you charge at 1C, it'll cool while it charges. 

On the other hand, my race nimh packs used to come off the charger too hot to hold. 

You're fine, carry on. 

One time i only had 2 nimh packs  so i had to charge them in the freezer.

6 hours ago, turok007 said:

One time i only had 2 nimh packs  so i had to charge them in the freezer.

I've had to charge drill batteries in the fridge because they were cooking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As Tug and Walkbythe sea both said...you will be fine.

The only thing to avoid is using higher amp fast charging. Keep it at 1C .....and the battery will not heat up.

'1C' meaning if it's a 5000Mah pack, charge at no more than 5A ..... 3000Mah at 3A and so on. That keeps the pack from getting hot while charging...and if it was hot to start with, you don;t want it to get hotter.

Some guys take a 12V leisure battery out with them to run a charger off, so the packs could be charged 'in the field'. Chargers like the old IMAX B6 can run off 12V sources. If you are running  charger off your car battery...don;t over do it. Coz then your car wont start when you want to go home. I have also seen that happen...

Check the video out on the opening page of our web site. If any one lives near the Mansfield area check us out at out next meeting thats if covid rules have been allowed by then due to Covid.

DeerdaleLogo - heritage center combo.jpg