• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Seminole81 (and son)'s Maverick Quantum MT and XT Build Thread

Seminole81

13 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Really nice write up and glad both you and your son are enjoying it :good:

9 hours ago, mmrr said:

Nice write up, and thanks for the nod:good:

8 hours ago, Ag100 said:

Great write up, and it really elects well on Model Sport, great service really is key.👍

Cheers everyone 😊 Tried to be as detailed as possible for anyone else lurking around with one of these models and for my own memory 😄

@mmrr of course, always credit where credit is due 🙂

@Ag100Yes, I am very impressed with Modelsport to be honest. Fantastic service and friendliness.  I probably could have got a few different things from other places, but the first contact with them made me really want to buy from them, and subsequently keep using them!

My XT is supposed to turn up today, will post photos when it arrives 🙂

19 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

This is just how it starts ....... the problems come later when the current cars are not enough...and you want MORE!!!!!

Haha yes mate, this is already started:rofl: I was looking at the Big Rock or a Granite, but don't want to die at the young age of 31 by the hands of my wife 😄

Anyways, my XT just turned up! 😄 My lass laughing at me as I ran down the stairs to answer the door 😄 Sorry about photo quality and upside down. 🙂

Plan on doing the same mods again as above. Might do it tonight or tomorrow. Will take some photos this time though. 

Looks like the pins got switched around as well, it's all good though. Got an extra 2 and body pins are body pins 😄

Absima Body Clips Small Silver (10) - 2440012

Also looks like the grub screws were changed for the correct ones I should have ordered 😄 

RW Motor M3x3 Pinion Grub Screws and Allen Key - RW618

8B17F7BD-FCB2-45C6-AB7F-F00134EC516A.thumb.jpeg.d0997a832772d081a1ca932ca335623a.jpeg

Maverick Quantum Flux XT - used, but looks like it's only been ran once.

47CF7E3E-64D9-4CE2-B420-9215D36D7442.thumb.jpeg.d567dbaffe6d5c2c5e815cdc47ad574a.jpeg

Internal shot. The deal from Modelsport also included this LiPo as well. I put the heat sink on and also the little tube for over the antenna. Side note, I don't think I got one for the MT.

C2CB375D-EF69-41D5-9C05-609BB2E4393C.thumb.jpeg.da25148dd9a27819c074c3bd187b3bc5.jpeg

Underside of the XT. As you can see, it's very clean.

84D07E2B-117D-4102-8CBF-1154E80043EA.thumb.jpeg.44fa465608ade0bda6c7ab206bdee45b.jpeg

Upside down, sorry! Took the LiPo out as I didn't want it in the car. Also got this Overlander VSR Mini included in the deal from Modelsport.

60473F6A-14FA-454A-92AF-65E8CE528BF7.thumb.jpeg.25b25708716b73eaa8d6562c897b5b5e.jpeg

Upside down, sorry! Like I said in first post above, wanted some more drivers as the 19 in 1 kit tended to slip on higher torqued items, like wheel nuts. Never have enough drivers anyway. Same for the body clips which got switched out. Not bothered, got 2 additional clips and clips are clips. Also the little grub screws, just in case.

6A2C1260-B769-4D3D-99A9-0C5D5A193CAC.thumb.jpeg.313a190d27e9b49f5cd87725d642bf51.jpeg

Upside down again, sorry! Some GT85 for cleaning, will get my lass to get some nice soft toothbrushes for cleaning. Also the foam body protectors, and my new big Absima LiPo. Expecting about 30 minutes running on this 🙂

Edited by Seminole81

Building up quite a collection there @Seminole81😃 

When cleaning my car, especially after getting wet I use one of these air dusters, 

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073F9NY1X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_0PWPJ72456120EFPV664

Does a great job of removing dust, grit, small stones and water from all the parts.

I am running mine with a 3s 5000mAh Gens Ace, and get at approx 40-50mins from it. My boy has the same but 2s and gets between 30 and 40mins.

No reason you shouldn't get the same as me really with that battery.

No get off here and go bashing:insane:

30 minutes ago, mmrr said:

Building up quite a collection there @Seminole81😃 

When cleaning my car, especially after getting wet I use one of these air dusters, 

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073F9NY1X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_0PWPJ72456120EFPV664

Does a great job of removing dust, grit, small stones and water from all the parts.

I am running mine with a 3s 5000mAh Gens Ace, and get at approx 40-50mins from it. My boy has the same but 2s and gets between 30 and 40mins.

No reason you shouldn't get the same as me really with that battery.

No get off here and go bashing:insane:

Aye, it's getting canny isn't it 😄

Ooh might look into one of those, although I do have a leaf blower already 😂

I'd be tempted to try 3S at a later date. I've read the motors run a bit hot with them though and I want it to last a bit. Will give it some time before upgrading to that. Really need to get use to running them first and they're already only running on about 3/4 speed on the 2S so we've got some room to play with once we're use to them. I clocked the 2s Core RC 4000mAhr ones at 18 minutes to be exact. Thought it seemed slightly low, but we were literally running them flat out around the field. Probably would last a bit longer somewhere else. I just did some rough maths to figure out I think the 6200mAhr would last about 10/12 minutes longer.

Leaf blower for cleaning out the van or car, if it's petrol it'll take about 3 seconds as opposed to 20 mins with a hoover😁

The 2s setup is the sweet spot for this car in my opinion. 3s is too powerful and tears the car apart. I have the 3s only because I thought speed is king, and when I bought my son's car I have him my 2s. I now have the throttle trim on the controller set at its lowest so it is only just faster than the 2s.

That may be the reason why I get good run times🤷‍♂️ bigger battery, with power dialled down.

A few days ago I received some spare parts and a replacement lid. I decided to go with the MT body but keeping the ride height the same as the XT. I bought a clear body and am undecided what colour to paint it, any ideas?

I did think Le man's blue like my big car.

1 hour ago, mmrr said:

Leaf blower for cleaning out the van or car, if it's petrol it'll take about 3 seconds as opposed to 20 mins with a hoover😁

The 2s setup is the sweet spot for this car in my opinion. 3s is too powerful and tears the car apart. I have the 3s only because I thought speed is king, and when I bought my son's car I have him my 2s. I now have the throttle trim on the controller set at its lowest so it is only just faster than the 2s.

That may be the reason why I get good run times🤷‍♂️ bigger battery, with power dialled down.

A few days ago I received some spare parts and a replacement lid. I decided to go with the MT body but keeping the ride height the same as the XT. I bought a clear body and am undecided what colour to paint it, any ideas?

I did think Le man's blue like my big car.

Nah, electric leaf blower 😄

Aye, that would explain the good run times for sure!

Yeah, I'm looking at more replacement parts, more heavy duty parts actually...does the MT body just fit on the XT once you take the wing off? I might do that with the spare blue body we got...

As for colours, I'm a big fan of flat matte black. Think it was @tomr who threw an old school Ford shell on it which looked good and I think it would look ace in a matte black colour. A deep blue with a slight sparkle (like the BMW Le Man's blue) or a candy apple red? I'm thinking more hot rod style for those colours though. Always liked sun-burnt orange colours as well. Think Nissan just released the latest generation of Juke in a colour called "Fuji Sunset Red" which is reddish/orange colour depending on the light you catch it in and it has a nice sparkle to it. Think it depends on if you want it to "pop" as well. Ford's Nitrous Blue or the Ford Deep Orange or someone did the Ford Ultimate Green. Those could be good choices as well. All depends on what you're looking for though. 🙂

So I finally went over the XT pretty throughly late Friday night so we could have a decent session out on Saturday  (it’s early doors Sunday now 😅)

First Modifications to the XT (with promised photos!):

The Washer Mod. - Background - Washers are too small and act as a fulcrum on the axles and cause them to bend and/or break.

Same as above. I did the washer mod to the XT as well. Interesting to note, I think I could get maybe two M5 washers on some wheels, but not others. The trucks come standard with two smaller washers, and I figured it should be equal shimming on all wheels. Also had one wheel hex nut that had me cursing as the little pin was stuck in it as I believe the slot on the hex was too small at one end. 

9E6751D6-3693-47C4-9F25-2078F92ECB73.thumb.jpeg.dd172d5b29625dba78501216374ba260.jpeg

Final decision that I did. Mostly because I don’t have enough M5 washers 😅 Tempted to try the option below though if I can manage it on all the wheels.

86DB048F-2781-477F-ADF8-83A171251316.thumb.jpeg.d9441defb6260cd9d9e979fea92fff62.jpeg

2 M5 washers stuck on. Think this is a much better improvement in long run.

9E8D2FBE-0A45-4CC3-9E61-822FB1537DD0.thumb.jpeg.a985d05d93d952a0fa2696501383bd2c.jpeg

1 M5 and 1 original washer. You can see why that would act the way it does (as a fulcrum and bend/snap axles).

Loctite Servo Horn Screw - Background - Servo horn screw becomes loose and drops out whilst running causing steering to be lost.

Well, this time it proved to be more difficult, maybe because of my n00bieness 😅 Anyways, I managed to get it done. Glad I did it as well as it was extremely loose, and probably would have fallen out on the run. I had trouble connecting the steering on this one. I made a school boy error and turned the wheels to full lock and then tightened the bolts back down. This worked, but then the wheels kept getting stuck on one side every so often via manual movements. Figured out after some help from some friends that I needed to take the bolt out, turn car on and let it set to centre, then put the bolt back in. I did that, but now I’ve got about 3-5 clicks on the steering trim to straighten everything up. It works, but I’m not happy about it. Also the cars wheels turn to full lock straight away when I turn controller off and then car off. Doesn’t do that if car off then controller oddly.

CD3FE52E-4A78-408B-A849-5A89E08B426C.thumb.jpeg.c80d168389935d33f471dc6ce4ec2df6.jpeg

Bit of a pain to get it to this state, but it’s a good idea!

Loctite Rear Driveshaft Grub Screw - Background - Grub screw works it's way loose and either becomes lost or stick partially out of it's home. If lost, car will not move. If sticks partially out, can move back towards spur gear and shred it.

The easiest job of the night 😅 All went smoothly!

C9B67209-ED6D-43EE-9517-5DBE78846C4F.thumb.jpeg.a2786b0ee21e0eeee66f2fb20dd5a930.jpeg

Tiny little grub screw that goes on rear drivetrain 😊

Didn’t bother doing the other little modifications, like checking spur and pinion mesh, as Modelsport replaced the spur gear before I got it. Another thing I did notice though was that the rear springs on the shocks actually foul the upper control arms when they’re compressed. Luckily, they shouldn’t compress fully loads, but it’s still a concern. Think I may try and add a washer to bring it away if I can.

5975A5FC-AEF1-4386-B45C-95CC10554F39.thumb.jpeg.a2f78111b402c658edfeaf2524a107ca.jpeg

Rear suspension under load. You can see the spring fouling the arm.

91520F61-2B57-426A-9883-22CBF4D1EAF6.thumb.jpeg.838750facbb96efd5e02583b5b878fb5.jpeg

Rear suspension not under load. Bit more difficult to spot, but it does foul still.

Run Out:

Charged all the LiPo’s up late Friday night for a run out the following day. Was a blast yet again, and even more fun with the two trucks. Got through all 4 LiPo’s with no damage. Maybe we’re not bashing them hard enough, but they seem to be alright! See loads of complaints about these trucks and not sure it’s warranted if I’m honest. Had a few flips/cartwheels, but nothing too major. My son hit my truck a few times, but luckily just a slowish bump straight on and a few wheels to wheels. Think my son did more damage to himself when he somehow managed to hit himself in the foot with his truck 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Even got my old wagon out (been his for a while in truth) from America to take them over to the field with. Did a decent job actually! We also found a man hole cover with a slight concrete ramp leading up to it and managed to jump it every once in a while.

One thing to note, I think the MT may be slightly quicker over tall grass etc. It seems to grip way better than the XT, which has different tyres. I did notice the XT also didn’t want to flip as easily which I’m guessing is due to the lower centre of gravity it has over the MT. Was great fun once again though! I think I really like the XT a lot more now as well. I also noticed that the XT body was a bit stronger, probably due to the extra forms in it.

46EEA73F-CB65-4BF5-B0E5-98740C2F74B7.thumb.jpeg.8d700d468303a209211486a007142c46.jpeg

Walking over to the field with the Radio Flyer wagon and trucks inside!

AEF4F801-5903-4921-9BED-55DBB78C479A.thumb.png.beec2b6ccfad74ae99dfbcca941117c3.png

Sorry about image quality, Screenshot of video on my phone! Can see the MT getting a bit of air on this one! He managed to make it nose dive so, I think we’ll take it easy with the jumps with him until he starts landing it properly! 😅

0B823792-7655-493D-8793-763BA846C522.thumb.png.72d9b9b22626bd5d82879fb9ad5bef76.png

Again, sorry about quality. You can see my XT here getting some air off the man hole cover.

• Like 1

Had another run out again on Sunday as well. Got through all the LiPo's between the two cars. Unfortunately, the XT took a decent knock halfway through my second LiPo. I crashed into my son's accidentally! His is FINE, mine, well, I ended up breaking the lower suspension arm, as well as bending the front shock shaft. Possibly a bit more damage other than that, but I haven't pulled it apart yet to be honest. Probably a weekend job.

At any rate, that lead to another order from Modelsport 😅 Going to seriously have to cut back for a bit now I think, but I got LOADS 😄 decided to get the HD stuff. Probably could of saved a bit of money going to eBay or something, but whatever. Sadly, half of it is on back-order, but I'll be able to get it up and running I think. I've got those spare suspension arms from the first order and I'll try and bend the shock shaft back into place. To think, I was going to try and get some HPI Work wheels (something like the HPI Work Meister S1 might look cool with the silver/green colour combo of the truck. Only work on the XT though I think)..

Fourth Order from Modelsport:

Parts to turn up imminently: 

Arrowmax LiPo Safe Bag (185mm x 75mm x 60mm) - AM199502 - Another bag to hold all the LiPos a bit better. Can fit all four in, but it is tight.

Maverick Quantum Rod End Set - MV150259 - Again, trying to beef up the XT.

Maverick Quantum+ Spring Set 16mm x 65mm x 1.4mm 9 Coils (Firm/2pcs) - MV150236 - Based upon a few reviews, figured it wouldn't hurt to try and beef up the XT.

Maverick Quantum HD Steering Turnbuckle (2pcs) - MV150259 - Again, trying to beef up the XT.

Back-ordered Parts:

Maverick Quantum HD Aluminium Shock Set (2pc) x 2 - MV150261 - I was going to order the parts and do it myself, but it worked out cheaper to just buy these. Could have done a eBay job, but there's that whole "buy cheap, buy twice" saying...  know our Quantum's are "cheap"...

Metsafil MV150122 Maverick Quantum HD Lower Suspension Arm Set - MT150122 - Based upon a few reviews. A lot of people seem to be running these and having less issues. There's another set of 3D printed ones on eBay I may try next time which are only £6.50 shipped I believe.

Fastrax Deluxe Alum Locking Rotating Maintenance Stand Black - FAST404BK - Figured I'll be working on these fairly often and just doing it on the table is a bit annoying.

Of course, straight after ordering I realized I should have got a few extra bits...

Some antenna piping as neither of the two trucks have any. Was just looking at grabbing HPI Antenna Pipe Set (3pcs) - Z149. I then realized I don't have a pit mat either. Not a necessity, but nice to have, especially as we've rearranged my work from home space so it now includes a small pit area for the trucks (see photo 😄). Probably just something cheap and simple like Hudy Pit Mat roll 600mm x 950mm - DY199912. I also managed to find a load of larger clear empty boxes as well as well as some grey ones to put all of the gear into. Lot less cluttered and cleaner now. Of course, speaking of boxes, maybe a few of the  Fastrax Parts Box - FAST676-? would come in handy to have. Might have to pick a few of those up as well. Just have to make a note to get that down on the next order 😅

Next job is to clean everything up and fix the parts that need to be fixed. Have to say, impressed with the MT's life so far (knock on wood). 6.5 LiPos through it and hasn't missed a beat. Wondering if it may be down to having his turned  down a little bit.

Anyways, here's some photos:

5DC91039-6E92-47F7-8AEB-E1B9D48A354D.thumb.jpeg.fe735d4216ea12f213cbee3827b7b946.jpeg

The broken lower suspension arm on the XT.

00927A97-8372-40B3-B6F9-3328DD761E1D.thumb.jpeg.52c219eac30fed22d2fbdc45ee3da891.jpeg

You can see the shock shaft bent here on the XT as well.

C1454E34-A7B4-4D37-84D5-D6A01DB25506.jpeg

Decent little action shot of the XT kicking up some grass and dirt.

A163C02C-A1F9-492E-B0A6-E23DC2008A3A.jpeg

XT cornering hard.

E94B3BDA-F153-4273-9ED4-D93EDA8ABC58.png

Sorry, screenshot from a video. Action shot of the XT though.

71C97225-A4DD-4662-831A-AD4DB997425C.jpeg

Another action shot from the XT.

7FE73210-7EA4-4E89-A7A8-1B9AD037DB32.jpeg

Little boxes I found to keep everything tidy. May as well keep my drill in there as I think I'll be using it more often for these than anything else 😄

B0CF03FB-F5AD-4BC3-BA77-11338ED9C98F.jpeg

New home office setup. Can see the boxes with the gear under the makeshift desk and the MT and XT have a little home on the side.

Added side note: Need to figure out how to make attachment size larger. 10.3 MB is not large enough and I've got some short little videos that aren't much bigger and would love to post them!

Edited by Seminole81
  • Like 2

• Seminole81 changed the title to Seminole81 (and son)'s Maverick Quantum MT and XT Build Thread
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip @Nitroholic. I've just grabbed a Imgur account. I use to have a Photobucket account back in the day, but it appears they charge for it now. At least now I can see about doing little videos on here. I do have a YouTube, but I don't really use it much. My son is bigger into that for streaming etc. Need to get something so I can take footage easier whilst driving though 😄

Anyways, quite a bit has happened since the last update. Still waiting on some parts to come in from the last order (4th order, page 1.), but Modelsport were very kind and hooked me up with some spares in the mean time to get me back running. 🙂

image.thumb.jpg.a54befb2e5c3b6ab82ecaa1bf863f7a4.jpg 

I also managed to get a friend to 3D print me a set of suspension arms (got the file if anyone would like it) in PLA. Fitment is tight, but it works after a bit of work to them. I had to file down the area where the shocks fit into ever so slightly, and also tap out where the pillow ball joint screws into ever so slightly. Got it to work, but I had my reservations about it as it was PLA which is fairly brittle. Weight came in at 15g compared to the 17.5g from the original Maverick arms if you're curious.

2B693D56-EB4B-4CB3-B41F-6C845111EDAE.thumb.jpeg.b3ba85270783abfa70a7d8cbe107777f.jpeg FC10DA23-A191-4001-A8DB-616CC40F6DD5.thumb.jpeg.d44ca9c5564d8a434eed10e082be9d27.jpeg

Suspension arms 3D printed. They looked pretty cool especially in the red. I wasn't complaining, I got them for free and wasn't keen on the red originally, but the red really grew on me when I saw it out and about.

At any rate, we took them out again after I fixed the XT back up, re-straightened the shock shaft, added another set of washers to the front of the XT to test. Also noticed I bent a rear axle, but whatever figured it wasn't THAT bad, so ran it anyway with the aim to fix it next time. Pretty much left it all standard until I get my other parts. Plus the wheel hex nuts where the pin goes on two of them was fairly tight. Think there may be a slight issue with the nuts themselves.

XT:

The 3D printed arms failed in the same location as the Maverick ones after a few LiPos through it. Not surprisingly really, but I was testing it. Think maybe an ABS or a carbon fiber filament would be much stronger. I also noticed that it was the same side as previously, the same side that had the shock shaft that was bent back into place. Not sure, but maybe that could have been a factor.

The rear axle was still bent, but probably not in any worse condition I'd say so that was good.

Also snapped another body post.

MT:

All well with this, except I noticed, by chance, that we lost power to the front wheels and the MT was now running as RWD. I suspect the front diff has gone, but haven't investigated properly. Seems a common problem from other forums/groups though.

So, evidently, that all lead to another quest of parts searching. Starting to worry a bit at the fragility of the XT. MT seems alright though to be fair. During looking for parts, I noticed that Modelsport were now selling Quantum Flux's supplied with HD Universal Drive Shafts AND HD Wheel Axle Shafts in the box. They also do another version with an upgraded 80A ESC for £20 extra now. Shy bairns get nowt, so I've cheekily asked if I could get these as we only ordered so recently. Modelsport kindly accepted and shipped out a few sets of them along with the broken bits covered by the Maverick warranty. Happy days, can't complain. Once again, Modelsport I can't praise highly enough. They did ask about the ESC from Maverick, and are still waiting for a decision on that, fingers crossed we get it. Would be a decent little upgrade. I would have paid for it like to be fair if it was an option when we bought it.

Fifth Order from Modelsport:

Parts that arrived next day: 

Maverick Body Clips (8pcs) (ALL Strada and EVO) - MV22029 - Lost a few more on the last run out.

Maverick Body Post & Mount Set - MV150119 - Replaces the broken body posts again.

Maverick Quantum Suspension Arm Set - MV150122 - Replaces the broken suspension arms again.

Maverick Body Post & Mount Set - MV150119 - Replaces the broken body posts again.

Maverick Drive Shaft 92mm (2pcs) - MV150148 - Part of the now included kit with new Flux's that ship out.

Maverick Drive Shaft 92mm (2pcs) - MV150148 - Part of the now included kit with new Flux's that ship out.

2 x Non-Maverick Tagged HD Wheel Axle Shaft (2) - MV150232 - Part of the now included kit with new Flux's that ship out.

2 x Non-Maverick Tagged HD Universal Drive Shaft (2) - MV150231 - Part of the now included kit with new Flux's that ship out.

2 x Modelsport Antenna Tube - MSAT - MT didn't come with one. Got one in black and one in neon green.

Schumacher Axle Grease Pot - U1300 - To use on the diffs.

2 x Etronix 2s 30cm Balance Lead Extension Wire - ET0245 - Figured it best be safe as the LiPo's don't sit full in the bag properly when charging.

Maverick 12mm Wheel Hex Hub Set (4pcs) - MV150150 - Stop gap until the aluminium versions come in.

Modelsport also provided me with a full front diff. replacement as apparently Maverick just try to send out piece parts and it can be pain if you haven't figured out what is entirely wrong with it.

Back-ordered Parts: 

2 x Maverick Aluminium 12mm Wheel Hub Hex Set (4pcs) - MV150184 - Part of the now included kit with new Flux's that ship

00CE4E89-B1E3-4CA9-A76C-FDFC465E3243.thumb.jpeg.2e6e2d0c4ff468bafc13343626e9a453.jpeg

Sixth Order from Modelsport (no photos):

Parts that arrived next day: 

Maverick Quantum+ Spring Set 16mm x 65mm x 1.4mm 9 Coils (Firm/2pcs) - MV150236 - As I got a set already that I planned on putting on the rears, I figured I may as well go all out and grab a set for the front as well.

Core RC Silicone Diff Oil 50,000 cSt 60ml  - CR226 - Few suggestions to add this to the front diff. Apparently makes a big difference.

Core RC Silicone Diff Oil 30,000 cSt 60ml - CR224 - Same as above. Few suggestions to use this on the rear diff.

Back-ordered Parts: 

Core RC Needle Files in Case 6pc - CR265 - After filing down the 3D printed arms and looking at filing a bit of plastic away for the suspension post, it just made sense. I've got files, but nothing small or easy for RC use. No rush to get them.

Also, my aluminum body posts from China turned up this week (link here: 4PCS Body Post Mounts w/ R-Clip Pin for 1:10 1:8 Racing Crawler RC Car Parts | eBay). They do fit, however they're a bit tight and the holes in the post are slightly larger than the OEM ones. Think they'll work with a bit of persuasion. Just worried about the knock-on effect of fitting these only to snap the actual body mount now instead...

Beginning to think I should have just bought a Quantum + for everything I'm buying, but then again, that's part of the fun. Just need more time to fix things. At least I'm having fun with it though...don't think my wife is overly impressed though 😄 I'm working on her to let me get a 3D printer bought now 😅:insane:

Edited by Seminole81

3D printed parts with PLA are weak on the bonding between layers. If the arms were printed 'edge on' thats as strong as they are going to get. I use £D printing for battery boxes, receiver trays, ESC mounts....that sort of thing. PLA isn;t really up to suspension arms.

What I have done in the past on smaller cars is to buy some plastic sheeting. Nylon sheet can be had in 6-8mm offcut pieces 10cm x 20cm for about £5 in black. Drill and cut and suspension arms are sorted. Slots you drill either end and use a fret/coping saw.

For some of the projects I have made all sorts of things this way. For body posts....you can buy nylon rods.....and shave them down

12 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

3D printed parts with PLA are weak on the bonding between layers. If the arms were printed 'edge on' thats as strong as they are going to get. I use £D printing for battery boxes, receiver trays, ESC mounts....that sort of thing. PLA isn;t really up to suspension arms.

What I have done in the past on smaller cars is to buy some plastic sheeting. Nylon sheet can be had in 6-8mm offcut pieces 10cm x 20cm for about £5 in black. Drill and cut and suspension arms are sorted. Slots you drill either end and use a fret/coping saw.

For some of the projects I have made all sorts of things this way. For body posts....you can buy nylon rods.....and shave them down

Yeah, I figured they would be. I did ask him to do it in ABS or a carbon fiber filament, but he said he didn't have carbon fiber and the ABS machine was kaput. Not sure how it was printed to be honest. I really do want a printer and would love to get one to play with. My wife isn't keen though (understandably, would print loads of useless things😄).

Yeah, I've debated on grabbing nylon sheets to be honest. I just haven't got all the tools at my house to cut it though. Work tools I probably could, but it's time to sort into that. I could probably ask a few favours for CNC'd aluminum parts, but again, it's time as I'd have to create a CAD file (easily done, I've got SolidWorks and Creo for my work, just time consuming).

I've got some aluminium body posts. I'm more worried about the transfer of energy from that into the mount though haha. May as well try it though I suppose. My XT is more the test dummy rather than the MT. Seems the MT has less issues than the XT though and that seems to be fairly true for a few. I did notice @James.Salso lost his front diff on his MT as well. Interesting that both MT lost that, and I haven't seen that problem on XTs (yet).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since I've update. Been busy with work.

Anyways fixed up the XT again.

XT:

Replaced the suspension arms again, but swapped them both for the new "upgraded" set from Maverick as the Metsafli still hadn't arrived. Also fit the little aluminium body posts. Very tight, but they do fit. Not overly sure if it's a good idea on fitting these yet as the force will just transfer to other parts of the truck (like the diff housings that are currently hard to find).

Whilst I was at it, I figured I'd rip the car apart and do the upgrades I was wanting to do. Helps that I had to bend one shock shaft back into place until the new HD ones turned up. Anyway, replaced the shock oil with some 500 cSt. The stock oil is super thick! Couldn't believe it to be honest, no wonder the cars have no rebound. As my new maintenance stand hadn't arrived, I improvised. Rear wing on the XT makes a decent shock building area 😄 Got them set and rebuilt them and threw on the Quantum+ springs. Much nicer and the car has a decent rebound now. Think the stock springs would be OK, but I think it would bottom out on a decent jump.

4D88B046-3725-42BA-BFC8-7C3768330F61.thumb.jpeg.30b96c99ee8c69ae773aa197f709263f.jpeg

Replaced the rear turnbuckles as I managed to bend one. Found these on eBay. Got 8 sets for a decent price and got them more or less next day. Seem to be fairly beefy. Had to add a small nut though to push the turnbuckle off the rear shocks. Quite a bit of play in the pivot ball area though sadly.

image.thumb.jpg.59aa144b2e530c23deda1f8008d642f3.jpg

Also tore the front and rear diffs out and added some oil. There's hardly anything in these, just a bit of blue gunk. 50k front and 30k on the rear.

58F6469A-09DE-416E-BC80-693702EBF955.thumb.jpeg.3371179f2d0f069890de85adb82407b8.jpeg

So got it all done and put back together and wanted to test it. So took it out to the front street and ran it around. Seems very quick over the tarmac mind, but the grip on the tyres is horrendous in my opinon! Anyway, I managed to flipped it on the road and it hit a curb. Seemed alright actually! Was a bit surprised, but then it started grinding horribly on accelerating and braking. Stopped running it, as I was planning to go out the following day with my son and his MT.  

We ended up going out the next day and I managed to move the XT about 10 foot with the grinding before it just stopped and didn't move. Assumed it was the spur gear, as you could hear it spinning, but nothing. Oh well, back into the bay for repairs. Didn't put a downer on us though. We still managed to have a blast with the little lad'sMT. He wasn't impressed at the RWD as it was a bit difficult for him to control. Explain what it was to him and how he had to take it a bit slower around corners and when going from a stop as it was just "squirrely." Eventually he got the knack of it and we managed to give it a really good bash about.  After 4 LiPos through it we lost a few body pins and broke a body post mounting pillar. Nothing too major. Thought it was the diff. housing at first.

Anyway, back in the repair bay, both of the trucks. They both sat for a few weeks until repairs were made. In the mean time, my Metsafil arms turned up, as well as my lovely little Fastrax maintenance stand (wish it had a lock on it though to stop spinning if you push it, otherwise it's excellent).

XT:

Pulled the spur gear out and replaced with the metal 64T 0.6 mod and replaced the pinon as well with a 19T 0.6 mod. That was fun as I ended up snapping my 1.5 hex in the grub screw when I went to tighten the grub screw down onto the motor shaft...so I had to fight to get the bits out. Used a cigar lighter to heat it up and loads of WD40. Was a right pain, but I eventually got it sorted. Everything nearly went through the window 😄 At any rate, both pinion and spur sit perfectly, not modifications needed. Used the old piece of paper trick I saw on a YouTube video (think it was on one of the original post ones actually). Think these pinion and spur are slightly dfferent from the 48T and 17T (I think, forgot to count it) originals. Found this little calculator here RC Gear Ratio Calculator (sodialed.com) and it says the pinion and spur is a 19% increase so it should have a bit more acceleration and torque whilst also putting less strain on the motor. The top speed of the original was fun before, but I think for the way we drive this will be more fun.

spacer.png

Hard to see, but the gear is worn quite a bit, some of the fins are flattened into others.

1Yqfiub.jpg

Metal spur gear and pinion fit. Remeshed it so the pinion sat on the spur a bit better 🙂 

MT:

Well, started off with going to replace the front diff as I thought that was the main reason why we lost FWD. So I pulled that out to have a look at it. Looked ok and actually turned fine as well. So I filled it up with the diff fluid (50k for front) and gave it a quick test. Still no FWD and it was all connected up fine. Strange. Anyway, further investigation it turned out the diff was fine and it was actually the center drive shaft that lost a pin on the rear and also slightly bent the center cup that connects to the rear diff.  So, I replaced both the center drive shaft and cup set with new ones. Of course, I then figured I may as well put the rear diff fluid in as well, so I pulled the rear diff off and tore it apart and stuck somet fluid in it (30k in rear). I replaced the body post mount when I had it out as I thought it was the diff box housing originally. Nice easy fix . However, when I was doing the diff I noticed that the pinion was super loose! It was literally sliding back and forth on the motor shaft. No idea how the spur didn't end up getting stripped. Grub screw worked it's way loose, so I figured I'd just whip the pinion and spur off and replace it with the same metal ones I did on the XT. All set. Finally, I replaced replacing the body post mount. I thought it was the diff box housing originally, so was a fairly easy fix. Decided to leave the turnbuckles until they went and then I can replace them with the same aluminium ones I have on the XT.

8jPe9k5.jpg

Center cup! Look where the pin bent the steel! Probably will still work, but replaced anyway.

ADhinTH.jpg

Missing pin from center drive shaft. Can this be replaced?

All set for a non-rainy day to go out for a session of fun. Of course, the HD shocks turned up as well, but I'll just wait to replace them when I stick the Metsafli arms on. Speaking of Metsafli, I noticed they're also producing HD rear turnbuckles and a center cup set. Might invest.

In the meantime, I've ordered some carbon tube to make a brace across the middle of both cars. Just some 8mm diameter,  6mm internal diameter tubing and a few wall plugs so I can stick a bolt in them. Should be lightweight and vastly improve the durability of the car. Going to look into 3D printing a few custom roof rails once the printer is setup and going. Here's the link for the carbon fiber tube if anyone's interested 🙂 Matte 3k Carbon Fiber Tube Length 1000mm All sizes OD From 8mm to 40mm Twill | eBay

Edited by Seminole81
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

Just picking this thread up now I found it very helpful as a noob coming into RC with the Maverick.  On the above do you find your centre drive shaft loose I.e. it slides up and down the chassis?

also when I turn my wheels it doesn’t always turn the shaft, do I have a problem?

finalys come here to do the chassis brace mod you mention and your thread has stopped 😞

On 16/04/2022 at 15:18, Dazg23 said:

Just picking this thread up now I found it very helpful as a noob coming into RC with the Maverick.  On the above do you find your centre drive shaft loose I.e. it slides up and down the chassis?

also when I turn my wheels it doesn’t always turn the shaft, do I have a problem?

finalys come here to do the chassis brace mod you mention and your thread has stopped 😞

Haha, to be honest, we're noobs as well when it comes to RC. I didn't expect this truck to be rock solid like it seems a lot are at the price range, and the way they are driven. We've not had too many issues aside from when I have bad landings then things break, but that's my fault, not the truck or build quality I'd say. I'll check on the centre drive shafts later for you as I can't remember as I haven't had them out in a while and they need fixing up from the last session we went out on, just haven't had the time. You may have a problem, it just depends which wheels aren't turning. I found one of the pins on the centre shaft came out and we lost FWD on one of the trucks one before, or it could be the diffs slipping.

As for the centre brace, yes I've done that, and not updated the thread. Been less active as I've been mega busy the last 10 months with work and other things. For the brace, just buy some tubing, cut it to the exact size, stuck wall plugs in the ends and then use some bolts to stick it to the chassis. It's fairly simple to be honest, and I have to say it's made a massive difference. I'll see if I can get some photos soon.

Other updates, snapped a body post on the MT, body tower on the XT, the rear wing mount on the XT, and cracked the shell slightly too. Both need a good clean as I haven't had them out in a month or two now.

On 18/04/2022 at 17:19, Seminole81 said:

Haha, to be honest, we're noobs as well when it comes to RC. I didn't expect this truck to be rock solid like it seems a lot are at the price range, and the way they are driven. We've not had too many issues aside from when I have bad landings then things break, but that's my fault, not the truck or build quality I'd say. I'll check on the centre drive shafts later for you as I can't remember as I haven't had them out in a while and they need fixing up from the last session we went out on, just haven't had the time. You may have a problem, it just depends which wheels aren't turning. I found one of the pins on the centre shaft came out and we lost FWD on one of the trucks one before, or it could be the diffs slipping.

As for the centre brace, yes I've done that, and not updated the thread. Been less active as I've been mega busy the last 10 months with work and other things. For the brace, just buy some tubing, cut it to the exact size, stuck wall plugs in the ends and then use some bolts to stick it to the chassis. It's fairly simple to be honest, and I have to say it's made a massive difference. I'll see if I can get some photos soon.

Other updates, snapped a body post on the MT, body tower on the XT, the rear wing mount on the XT, and cracked the shell slightly too. Both need a good clean as I haven't had them out in a month or two now.

Hi mate, I hope you're having better luck with your trucks than I did with my Quantum+ XT Flux. I sold mine on eBay this week as I wanted to cut my losses with the constant repairs.

I'll give you my honest opinion, I don't think they are terrible at all, they just can't handle 3S. It's just too much power IMHO and despite the ESC and motor being 3S capable I'd say the chassis, suspension  arms, rods and everything else just isn't really capable of having the extra force put through them. All my drive cups got chewed up and I've only really put about 15-20 battery packs through it in the time I've had it.

Mine was a rocket ship on 3S, really quick and got amazing air on the jumps but the truck would just be destroyed on landing. A little cart wheel was enough to smash the shell to pieces and break the wing mount. I highly recommend the HD wing mount as it is really flexible and not brittle at all, I'd say that's a pretty essential upgrade once you snap your wing mount because you'll just snap it again if you buy the standard one. Then the metsafil HD suspension lowers. I should have bought them immediately because I've been through 5 lowers in my time. If you just catch a kerb when sliding a corner then it's game over for the standard lowers. Also my rear Turnbuckle rod ends seemed to get warped so look out for that. 

Again I'd say the culprit was me running it on 3S when the truck really isn't built for it. Keep it on 2S and it'll probably last much longer

17 hours ago, BaldyMan said:

Hi mate, I hope you're having better luck with your trucks than I did with my Quantum+ XT Flux. I sold mine on eBay this week as I wanted to cut my losses with the constant repairs.

I'll give you my honest opinion, I don't think they are terrible at all, they just can't handle 3S. It's just too much power IMHO and despite the ESC and motor being 3S capable I'd say the chassis, suspension  arms, rods and everything else just isn't really capable of having the extra force put through them. All my drive cups got chewed up and I've only really put about 15-20 battery packs through it in the time I've had it.

Mine was a rocket ship on 3S, really quick and got amazing air on the jumps but the truck would just be destroyed on landing. A little cart wheel was enough to smash the shell to pieces and break the wing mount. I highly recommend the HD wing mount as it is really flexible and not brittle at all, I'd say that's a pretty essential upgrade once you snap your wing mount because you'll just snap it again if you buy the standard one. Then the metsafil HD suspension lowers. I should have bought them immediately because I've been through 5 lowers in my time. If you just catch a kerb when sliding a corner then it's game over for the standard lowers. Also my rear Turnbuckle rod ends seemed to get warped so look out for that. 

Again I'd say the culprit was me running it on 3S when the truck really isn't built for it. Keep it on 2S and it'll probably last much longer

Hi bud!

Yeah, ours seems to be alright for what we do with them to be honest. I have heard the 3S is a bit too much for them, but we only run 2S as it's plenty fast for us.

I know they do HD drive cups as well as Metsafil do them I think now too. I had one of mine go, but I had a spare so just replaced it and no issues since thankfully. The little lads MT seems to be stronger than the XT, but they're both alright overall for us. Haven't had too much bother with them, and I enjoy fiddling around with them when I have the time. I did see the HD wing mount, but full transparency, I've just not ran with a wing on for ages haha. I have the Metsafil HD suspension arms, but haven't used them yet still, just waiting for the current ones to snap and then will switch them over.  My rear turnbuckle went on one side, so I bought some random beefy ones off eBay,  you can see them in the photos above. I have heard that I believe Traxxas ones fit and are much stronger, and I believe there are some HD versions and Metsafil versions flying about now too.