• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which Radio set? - Fed up with range issues on Flysky

champ222

Hi All

So i have a Flysky FS-GT3C transmitter, and ive been having range issues for a while. i'll try and keep this consise:

• Bought a used 1/8th buggy, came with Flysky FS-GT3C transmitter, with the flysky reciever. It also came with the FS-GT3B transmitter and another receiver, which seems largely the same except for 8xAAs vs 1S lipo. All seemed well at first. 
  • Built a new 1/8th Truggy, used the spare Rx, used the same GT3C Tx. Immediately had range issues, 15 - 20 meters max. i recognised the symptoms, and realised i had similar issues, though less severe, with the buggy too.  I did some testing with the other Tx, swapping the Rxs about, tested the BEC on the ESCs and i concluded that either the system is just rubbish, or both receivers were suddenly knackered.
  • I bought two new Rxs as they were cheap enough, and all seemed ok-ish. the range was much improved, but the symptoms i get just before it loses range all together is a delay in response. both steering and throttle. this still did happen, closer than i would expect, but it didnt really cause me too much issues bashing.
  • I bought another Rx as a spare.
  • Then bought another RC car and used the spare Rx in that. All seemed well.
  • Then bought another RC car, and since i figured i would sell the previous one on, i moved the Rx to the new car. First run out with the new car, crappy range again.

This has caused me enough trouble now, so i'm looking to move on to something else. i know plenty have had no issues with the flysky, but i'm not doing anything out of the ordinary here.

So what is the go to radio system these days? some years ago i had the Spektrum DX2 and was pretty happy with it (it was all about spektrum in those days). The Spektrum systems on the ARRMA cars gets a right slating though, These seem to use different systems. The DX2 used "DSM" and the ARRMA versions use "FHSS" Are the better Spektrum systems still worthwhile?

My requirements are as follows:

• Multi-model
  • 2 channels
  • Affordable receivers. I need to buy three receivers, and you know how it is, there may be more.
  • End point adjustment
  • Dual rate steering would be handy, but its not essential
  • A range that i can rely on.

Cheers guys

there is two great long range cheap radios at banggood

Dumbo 6ch  with gyro

or the new Radiolink V2 6ch with dual antenna 7ch gyro receiver

you have atleast 250m  range with both

sometimes 300-400m

Edited by m-racing

Thanks for that, i dont see a programmable dumbo, but i see the radiolink V2. 

I dont need insane range, just normal but reliable range.

Also looking into sanwa mx-6 Futaba 3pv and Spektrum  dx5c, all look like good options, though more expensive than your suggestions.

Cheers

Radiolink V2 6ch got all you need.

And with 7ch dual antenna receivers you have 100% range and all other things you may need.

Price is great also

If you got 2-10 cars.  Extra Receivers are cheap.

I dont see any way why Sanwa or others is better.

IF you Bash and want programmable great radio system that most of speedrunnes use today, and also many bashers with happiness

then go for Radiolink V2.

Why not ?

This system has all,  great  range,  great price from start. great price for extra receivers.

And 99 of 100 users loves it.

What else can One Basher need ?

Nothing i thing.

Racers need racer radios offcourse.

This RadioLink V2 is the best for Bashers only.

In the end,

Dont listen to me 100%

Check out what others know too.

This is the best way buy good product.

Listen to 4-5 others.

Then  buy something at the middle what all recomments :)

This is my way to success

Good luck

take care

be safe

PEACE :)

The Flysky GT3 were known to have range and lag issues back when they came out, so you're right to change it.

In terms of replacement, here's some options.

Personally I'd get the Flysky GT5 or Radiolink if I was after a new basher radio. I think the GT5 looks nicer.

As with all things RC you'll find loads of great reviews for them and then a couple saying its crap.

Thanks everyone. I hadnt heard of the Radiolink before this thread, so I'll look into that. 

You mention those models as the cheapest "proper" radios. Is there a reason why you didnt include the sanwa mx-6 and the futaba 3pv? They seem like basic but dependable radios.

The radiolink and the spektrum seem to have more channels that ill ever need. The gyro does seem interesting though, not tried one of those.

Spektrum all the way for me - i've got the DX5R and DX5 Rugged. The quality is way above the Flysky stuff IMO. The genuine DSMR receivers are a lot cheaper than they used to be - about £23 for the new SR215 2ch's.

My personal view on radio's is similar to buying ditchfinder tyres on performance 1:1 cars. We spend a lot of money on these RC's and they're getting more and more powerful. Relying on budget radio gear to keep these things under control is a false economy IMO :good:

44 minutes ago, J.K said:

Spektrum all the way for me - i've got the DX5R and DX5 Rugged. The quality is way above the Flysky stuff IMO. The genuine DSMR receivers are a lot cheaper than they used to be - about £23 for the new SR215 2ch's.

My personal view on radio's is similar to buying ditchfinder tyres on performance 1:1 cars. We spend a lot of money on these RC's and they're getting more and more powerful. Relying on budget radio gear to keep these things under control is a false economy IMO :good:

Does the dx5 rugged have multiple model memory? Can't see it on the specs.

Edited by shaunm

1 hour ago, shaunm said:

Does the dx5 rugged have multiple model memory? Can't see it on the specs.

It does - 20 if I remember correctly!

• Thanks 1

I'd hardly call using a budget but capable radio on an RC car the equivalent of sticking nasty ditchfinders on a 1:1 performance car, but each to their own 👍.  I use a GT3-C, and while I know it doesn't have the quality feel of the DX5, 4PM, MT44 etc, it's plenty capable for my level of bashing (I'm not racing).  And for me, at times using all 10 model memories, from 1/18 through to 4S 8th scale buggies, inc. crawlers, it is a great option.  Worth mentioning I've never had range issues either.  Yes, sure the other radios above are better, nicer feel to buttons, control points etc, but even with 23 quid receivers (as opposed to a fiver for the flysky) you're still talking 230 quid for rx's alone with the DX5, vs 50 I have invested.  And that's before you compare cost of radio - 200 vs 30. 

For 60 quid, the Radiolink V2 seems like a good option for most people if you want to move up from the GT3, particularly if not racing, and with receivers still half the cost of the newer speccy ones, its a great option for multi model on a budget.

Thanks guys.

With all these things, there are people with and without problems. I just need something i can rely on. 

So i have issues with the flysky. Personally, i think its the receivers at the moment. If i get chance, which i probably wont for a while now. I'll take a different car back to the same spot and see if the issues persist. If not, then its the receiver. Perhaps it got damaged removing it from the old car. A replacement would be cheap, but ill be waiting for it to fail again, and ill be paranoid about it, and i'll get less enjoyment out of it when i do take it out. Ive lost confidence in it.

Had i have come on here asking if the flysky gt3-c is any good. A load of people would be saying how great they are and that they havent had any issues. And quite rightly so. 

Im leaning towards the futaba 3pv at the moment. Futaba do a 2 channel reciever for 25 quid which seems like a fair price. Its not on the compatability chart, which is annoying, but it seems like it should work with the 3pv.

I will read some reviews of the radiolink though. It does seem like good value for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, champ222 said:

Thanks everyone. I hadnt heard of the Radiolink before this thread, so I'll look into that. 

You mention those models as the cheapest "proper" radios. Is there a reason why you didnt include the sanwa mx-6 and the futaba 3pv? They seem like basic but dependable radios.

The radiolink and the spektrum seem to have more channels that ill ever need. The gyro does seem interesting though, not tried one of those.

I've made a mistake on the 3PV, I thought it was missing expo and didn't have the latest TFHSS protocol but it does. It is missing SR mode but you need the pricey futaba servos for that. I'd say its a good buy. I'd drop your hobby shop an email on rx compatability.

The MX6 is using an old protocol so isn't compatible with most Sanwa receivers, I would avoid. https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1013194-new-2018-sanwa-mx-6-a.html

Edited by lorrylemming

29 minutes ago, bertberr said:

I'd hardly call using a budget but capable radio on an RC car the equivalent of sticking nasty ditchfinders on a 1:1 performance car, but each to their own 👍

That's fair enough. It's all down to personal experiences I guess. Most will never have an issue. The GT3b I had years ago was glitchy as hell. Seeing your nitro buggy continue on at full throttle for 3-4 seconds after you let off the throttle is frankly terrifying and just killed my confidence in the radio. 

This was about 6yrs or so ago so they may have upped their game since!

• Like 1

On 01/04/2021 at 17:04, champ222 said:

Thanks for that, i dont see a programmable dumbo, but i see the radiolink V2. 

I dont need insane range, just normal but reliable range.

Also looking into sanwa mx-6 Futaba 3pv and Spektrum  dx5c, all look like good options, though more expensive than your suggestions.

Cheers

The Futaba is great but receivers arent that cheap?

Im very impressed with my Noble, it does so much and is so well built, the alloy casing is such a nice touch. Comes with 2x RXs, for around £160 with a code?

Edited by Guns

2 hours ago, Guns said:

The Futaba is great but receivers arent that cheap?

Im very impressed with my Noble, it does so much and is so well built, the alloy casing is such a nice touch. Comes with 2x RXs, for around £160 with a code?

There is a 2 channel futaba receiver for around 25 quid. Just waiting for confirmation that it works with the 3pv.

Also looking into the radiolink. It gets good reviews, but i havent had the chance to do some proper research yet

3 minutes ago, champ222 said:

There is a 2 channel futaba receiver for around 25 quid. Just waiting for confirmation that it works with the 3pv.

Also looking into the radiolink. It gets good reviews, but i havent had the chance to do some proper research yet

From what I remember the R202F is the cheapest that works with the 3PV, which is around £25?

3 hours ago, Guns said:

From what I remember the R202F is the cheapest that works with the 3PV, which is around £25?

Yeah thats the one. I dont see why it wouldnt work with the 3pv, but it isnt on the compatability chart. Ive asked futaba for some confirmation. 

Even with the best pricing on the transmitter and three receivers, im still looking at £150 ish to get set up.

The radiolink plus one extra rx (it comes with 2) would be about half that.  I would have less confidence in it though, as i hadnt heard of them before, regardless of how many reviews i read. The first sign of trouble and ill wish i went futaba. Cant argue with the cost saving though

Edited by champ222