• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tire recommendations for an Schumacher Cougar Laydown on Astroturf?

cheapo

Hey guys,

I just acquired the above mentioned machine and hope to re-commence racing in a few weeks (lockdown ending?). So I'd like to hear a few suggestions for tire choices to run on the world famous Tiverton RCCC Astroturf track. I have a feeling that the pinspike fronts that came with it will be a bit too grippy, but I don't actually have any experience on astro. I've previously (years ago) raced on dirt, grass, asphalt, floors and carpet.

Also, this has a plate type slipper, so I'll ask, would a ball type be preferable? Someone mentioned it, but they may have said ball diff.

Cheers, Cheapo. 😁👍

Edited by cheapo

I'd say it would be a toss up between Schumacher Mini Spike (Yellow), Schumacher Mini Pin 1/2 (Yellow) Mini Dart (Yellow) or the new Mezzo. See what's popular at the track 👍

For the front, Low Profile Cut Staggers in Yellow compound would be a good place to start.

The slipper mechanism is fine, its a tuning aid to allow some wheel slip. Ball Diff vs Gear Diff is a debate that will never end, basically whatever you prefer but generally, the fastest guys will be running a gear diff on Medium grip upwards, low grip astro, or wet astro you would be see them running a ball diff as the grips level lowers.

Also, there is no Associated Cougar Laydown...

You have a Associated RC10 B6, 6.1 or 6.2 OR a Schumacher Cougar Laydown 😬

Edited by Derka
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Derka said:

I'd say it would be a toss up between Schumacher Mini Spike (Yellow), Schumacher Mini Pin 1/2 (Yellow) Mini Dart (Yellow) or the new Mezzo. See what's popular at the track 👍

For the front, Low Profile Cut Staggers in Yellow compound would be a good place to start.

The slipper mechanism is fine, its a tuning aid to allow some wheel slip. Ball Diff vs Gear Diff is a debate that will never end, basically whatever you prefer but generally, the fastest guys will be running a gear diff on Medium grip upwards, low grip astro, or wet astro you would be see them running a ball diff as the grips level lowers.

Also, there is no Associated Cougar Laydown...

You have a Associated RC10 B6, 6.1 or 6.2 OR a Schumacher Cougar Laydown 😬

Agreed, you beat me to it... Mini pins or mini spikes... 

And to settle the age old argument... Gear diff all day.. 🤣👍👍

Oh! Hahaha! How did I manage such a humongous erroneous brain fart!!!!!????? Associated! DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuh! 😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋

Actually it's prolly because I love the early Associated RC10 and was talking about them elsewhere on the forum.

And now I see I can't edit the thread title. Can a mod delete the word for me or do I have to look like the numpty I am for ever?😋

Apart from that, thanx for the tips you guys. This Cougar has Minispike 2s, not glued, all round. Probably ok for grass or average dirt, so I guess I'll use them to play around until racing re-starts, hopefully in early summer, and order in some of the recommended types.

in the mean time. Hmm, I'll have to get more dirt tires anyway as these won't survive tarmac bashing.

Cheers guys. 😋

Hmm, why am I seeing a difference in the tire beads?

https://www.racing-cars.com/cut-stagger-yellow-slim-pr-u6759?returnurl=%2fsearch%3fq%3dcut%2bstagger%2byellow

https://www.racing-cars.com/cut-stagger-low-profile-yellow-pr-u6770?returnurl=%2fsearch%3fq%3dcut%2bstagger%2byellow

The second, low profile, has the sidewall set back from the outer lip of the wheel rim. Seems to me that will allow a different kind of flexing than the other one, even when glued.#

( I worked in the full size tire trade many decades ago )

• cheapo changed the title to Tire recommendations for an Schumacher Cougar Laydown on Astroturf?

Ok, I found how to edit the title. Had to alter the contrast on my screen a bit to see the "Report, Share, Edit", drop-down text.

Edited by cheapo
  • Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 11:36, cheapo said:

Hmm, why am I seeing a difference in the tire beads?

https://www.racing-cars.com/cut-stagger-yellow-slim-pr-u6759?returnurl=%2fsearch%3fq%3dcut%2bstagger%2byellow

https://www.racing-cars.com/cut-stagger-low-profile-yellow-pr-u6770?returnurl=%2fsearch%3fq%3dcut%2bstagger%2byellow

The second, low profile, has the sidewall set back from the outer lip of the wheel rim. Seems to me that will allow a different kind of flexing than the other one, even when glued.#

( I worked in the full size tire trade many decades ago )

Exactly as you say. Most people run the low profile ones as you get a more precise front of the car.

The full height version is better on bumpy surfaces, but bumps that are close to the size of the wheel if that makes sense. 

You also have wide and narrow front wheel options, most people run the narrow option.

For driving on tarmac Schumacher venom tyres are good on the rear of the car. 

What tracks are you going to run at? I run Cactus mainly in yellow compound when dry, Stagger Ribs in yellow on the front. The Laydown has a lot of front bite so I find the Stagger Ribs help soften it. In any other condition, Cut Staggers and Mini Pin 2s in silver.

Setup is key for conditions but you’ll learn all that.

• 1 month later...