• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Tracer / HBX 16890?

bertberr

On 24/11/2021 at 21:53, Captain Howdy said:

I mentioned above the Arrowmax 2s Lipo designed for the Tamiya Dancing Racer.

It's 3200mah 50c.

Expensive battery but it made a huge difference to this wee car.

And fits right in the 16890

Highly recommended !

Bet that gives amazing run times!  Not sure I could bring my self to spend £40 on a truck that cost me £80 though 😆

• Like 1

Here we go, proof of concept. Need to tweak it a bit but the idea is sound. The final design will use 4 existing screw holes with slightly longer screws to secure it to the chassis, then the battery will be secured with velcro straps.

IMG20211127115737

IMG20211127130650

IMG20211127130700

IMG20211127130918

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MrCake said:

Got a feeling @BigGingemight have used these ones on something which were good https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32971464457.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.41863c00iity3o&mp=1 

I’ve used those in my LC Racing truggy but don’t know if they might be a bit big for the tracer? They measure up at the same size as a 1/10 buggy wheel I think. 

The other ones I’ve tried which might be a better fit, assuming they have enough clearance around the hub, would be these ones which are a bit smaller than the ones linked above. 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKPkThY

edit: looks like the remo ones have a 75mm diameter and are 35mm wide compared to a 90mm diameter and 42 mm width for the ones @MrCake linked to. 

Edited by BigGinge

Have to say, really impressed with the HBX Pro for the £80 I paid.   I already had the 16890 Truggy  which was a good cheap car but this pro does feel like it has quite a bit more punch.  Hoping for some better weather and time to get this thing out.   

Will be taking the EMB-MT out at the same time so will be interesting to see how they compare.  EMB-MT is no doubt better made but with a bit of indoor testing, the HBX feels like it has more punch and is more nimble.

On 22/11/2021 at 18:20, MrCake said:

Lower capacity than I hoped but have a couple of these heading to me "Turnigy 800mAh 2S 40C Lipo Pack".

Will feedback on how well they fit and what kind of runtime. 

Batteries arrived today and these are a great fit, even with the foam still installed.  Can't comment on runtime yet but will hopefully get out at the weekend.  Shame they are only 800mAh but at something like £6 or £7, I can't complain.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MrCake said:

Batteries arrived today and these are a great fit, even with the foam still installed.  Can't comment on runtime yet but will hopefully get out at the weekend.  Shame they are only 800mAh but at something like £6 or £7, I can't complain.

If you want some extra runtime then grab a couple of these and I'll print you a battery tray. If anyone else wants one printed then just hit me up 🙂

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-1600mah-2s-20c-lipo-pack-losi-mini-compatible.html?wrh_pdp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_gb_shopping&countrycode=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJeNBhCVARIsANJUJ2H93_eSQogsI_uBdrgL6bz6LbkKNkumpNyLVaZRtm3Ld2SsH_DWeZIaAprMEALw_wcB&___store=en_us

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

I'm just finalising the design. It'll be deeper than the one a posted previously as I found the battery needed more support. I'll post up some more pics once it's finished printing.

IMG20211130204233

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrCake said:

That looks great, very inventive!  Does it affect the handling much as far as wanting to roll over with a higher CG?

Not that I've noticed, but then we only gave it one run on the original battery. Still seems to jump fine and the stock tyres are too slippery on concrete to worry about grip roll lol.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I have put this on hold and ordered a wltoys 124018 instead with 3 batteries plus i have several batteries already even with correct plug, i feel its more what i want for the purpose i am looking at but will revisit this tracer or a version of it at a later date

It is worth keeping an eye on the HBX Pro.  It normally sits at £100-105 but I managed to grab mine for £80.   Bit of a steal I think.

• Like 3

On 17/12/2021 at 17:31, Bmlfc88 said:

Is it better to buy this model

and upgrade or just get the HBX 16889a Pro which seems to have the key upgrades done as stock?

Not priced it up myself but this article suggests you would spend a lot more doing it yourself  https://www.quadifyrc.com/rccarreviews/hbx-16889a-pro-review-i-think-this-is-the-best-small-basher-ive-ever-had

On 17/12/2021 at 17:31, Bmlfc88 said:

Is it better to buy this model

and upgrade or just get the HBX 16889a Pro which seems to have the key upgrades done as stock?

Definitely get the pro, if you can wait Banggood might knock a bit off after the christmas period. Apart from the electronics, which I can see the appeal of changing out for better feel, the drive line and shock upgrades are still worth the cost.

How many of you have fitted the upgraded metal diffs and centre shaft?  I've bought the other upgraded parts, the front CVDs, diff outdrives and rear axles, but thinking I may need the tougher diffs etc when I drop the 'big block' in... 😁  Haven't any diff issues thus far with the stock BL setup on 2S. 

• Like 1