• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Tracer / HBX 16890?

bertberr

Just wondered if anybody has one of these?  MS have the brushed versions of the truggy and MT for 54 quid, and you can get a BL version for circa 70 from China.  1/16 scale, look quite capable for the price.  Usually wouldn't bother with this size for a basher, but with lockdown and all that, I'm finding I'm doing a lot more patio/driveway bashing, using ramps etc, and this could well fit the bill.  I'm finding my little 1/18 SCT is struggling a little in these circumstances, wheels are quite small, and body parachutes a fair amount too (obviously!).

image.thumb.png.673acda12f32982a20a163b8d3b98218.png

Its a big patio...  no seriously, I don't anticipate being in lockdown for the rest of my life, so just thinking ahead - you can never have too much grunt after all.  But if the stock esc is only rated to 2S, then prob best to just pay the extra 15 quid or so and go BL.

Lol I get you.I doubt very much the stock esc will take 3s and even if it did I doubt the brushed motor would last very long so maybe you are better getting the brushless from banggood.I will go brushless with mine in the future but for now it's fine brushed with the stock battery and surprisingly nippy.

Edited by martin34
  • Like 1

Hopefully it wont take to long to get here and I am sure you will like it.I had mine down the garden after work and it really needs the oil filled shocks.I have ordered them but coming from China and estimated delivery isnt until the end of March!!

I'm working on 3-4 weeks at best, I've had to wait over 2 months before for a little drone I got from BG, so certainly not holding my breath, but its not like I don't have anything else to keep me busy in the meantime!  I ordered the shocks at the same time, really don't think this little rig will need anything else, which makes a change compared to some bigger rigs that cost five times as much.  We shall see!

I bought the bigger 1300mah battery and its really nippy now so brushless it must be like a rocket.It drifts really nice in my garden but thinking of getting the monster truck tyres to see if they give more grip off road.

Evening All!

Mine arrived today from banggood and I ordered it on 14th Feb and was free shipping- weird. Also ordered the oil filled shocks along with a lipo charger but they haven't arrived yet. This has Li ion battery but looking around I think the Lipo charger will stil work

For me, coming from the old Maverick Strada XB Evo brushed,  this thing is brilliant for the price . Had a few runs only but was impressed. Time (and my driving) will tell.....

Question- I can't seem to locate a spare battery for it anywhere- looked on banggood and Ali but the sizes don't match this- have any of you got any info or ordered something similar that will fit in the tray?

Cheers

Did you order the brushed or BL?  And MT or truggy?

Re the battery, one that a lot of folks are using is the 2S pack from the 144001, but really you could prob fairly easily find one from HK or even just off ebay - just measure the standard pack and any spare space in the tray (if there is any) and order the closest you can find.

Thanks.....its the BL Truggy- the 16890.

Quick search was fruitless as its such a small tray and battery (50x36x19)  but will keep seraching thanks! Have asked banggood as well for spare - will wait for a response

I have seen quite a few videos where people just cable tie a bigger battery to the centre brace but from what I have seen they go well on the li-on 1300mah they come with.

Edited by martin34

Yes I was surprised at how long the battery lasted- a good 25 mins . Think it will be the route of a slightly bigger battery (18650 2s as opposed to the 185000 2s supplied)  and tie it down as there is some space under the shell. 

Well it wasn't an empty box, so quite impressed with delivery speed.  Also well impressed with the car.  Feels noticeably heavier than the little 1/18 SCT, though chassis packaging/layout is pretty awful considering this is supposed to be 1/16, and has a longer wheelbase than the 1/18 SCT - really should have designed it so you could get a longer battery in without having to mod it.  Never mind, I have another 2S LiIo battery from my 1/12 crawler, only 850mah, but with the 1500 that came with it, should give me reasonable run time.

I went through the most obvious pre run checks, but before I tore it down to inspect diffs, I got impatient and took it outside for a quick blast up the side of the house, about 50ft of concrete, but only about 7-8 ft wide, with various hazards on each side to keep you focused!  After a few runs up and down, I was starting to wonder what all the fuss was about, bearing in mind this is the BL version...  Put it down to an under half charged battery out the box, however just before whipping the battery out for a full charge, I noticed there was a 'speed' dial on the Tx... and it was set at a tads over half way!!!  Turned it up, and my word, this little thing doesn't half go!  Can safely say, I won't bother with 3S now, this is more than enough for around the house, and reckon it will even be plenty for the skate park.  Brakes are ferocious though, did a few endos before deciding that I should call a halt before I smashed it up too much, as it still didn't have the body on, which I'm reinforcing with shoo goo and skrim tape before first use. 

IMG-3331.jpg

• Like 2

Glad you like it and they are really impressive little trucks.Good idea to reinforce the body first as they are brittle compared to most and crack easily.I had a dig around in my shed and found a losi 25amp brushless esc and a micro servo so I will probably just order the hbx motor from banggood and add my own radio.