• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fastest Banzai

Redback

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

Does the weight of the board help, or are the boards not actually that heavy?

Good luck for ROSSA 👍

Thanks mate, its less about weight more about stopping the air getting up under the bumper foam and making the body parachute, they are pretty light maybe not stiff enough

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/06/2023 at 22:08, Redback said:

Thanks chaps, was up late upgrading the cutting board splitter with something decent. Ready to be sent...

20230628_232229.thumb.jpg.d52272a6b8f864489ce23c6c859a89e5.jpg

Out of curiosity, what % of your Banzai is still the original FTX parts, or official upgrades, and what % is either custom parts, or parts intended and designed for different RC cars and even class of RC cars made by either other manufacturers, like Yeh Racing, Scorched Parts, Perfect Pass and so forth, or 3d printed by either yourself or by someone on your behalf?

On 01/07/2023 at 07:46, Grogg said:

Out of curiosity, what % of your Banzai is still the original FTX parts, or official upgrades, and what % is either custom parts, or parts intended and designed for different RC cars and even class of RC cars made by either other manufacturers, like Yeh Racing, Scorched Parts, Perfect Pass and so forth, or 3d printed by either yourself or by someone on your behalf?

Mines 99% stock. the only change is the rear drive shaft is custom made, the rest is all the stock plastics, nothing fancy. (red and green shell)
The lads (yellow and orange) is mostly ftx carbon parts and upgrades, and honestly they made the car worse, it was uncontrollable at full speed, when my stock banzia was planted no issues.
I dont use parts from other rcs, the challenge is to the get the stock cars as fast as possible, this means plastic hexes, unlocked diffs, etc.
Obvoiusly i have removed the garbage motors and escs and put in semi decent race ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Rossa results with the Banzia's
Lads results are great all runs are his besides the one listed as mine.
The car "Hurricane" wasnt smooth to drive and always ended up on its roof vs the other car "Typoon", the diffs are basically locked, i think this is whats sending it to its roof as it wasnt lifting and flipping, along with the body not being ideal. Thats for a later post, this Rossa was for the lad not me and he got a good amount of practice and runs in.
New PB for him on " Hurricane" 52.6mph, PB with his car for me was 54mph.
Sat 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 2 CELL 2S 41.83 41.70
Sat 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 2 CELL 2S 40.28 40.28
Sat 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 2 CELL 2S 52.59 52.63
Sat 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 2 CELL 2S 39.35 39.34 (Spin out)
Sat 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 2 CELL 2S - 44.69
Sat 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 2 CELL 2S 28.24 28.12 (Sideways)
Sat 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 2 CELL 2S 10.84 10.82 (Flipped)
Sun 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 4 CELL 4S 25.08 25.08 Car Flipped.
Sun 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 4 CELL 4S 30.28 30.28
Sun 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 4 CELL 4S 41.11 41.07
Sun 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 4 CELL 4S 39.35 39.40 (On Roof throug traps)

Sun 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 4 CELL 4S 54.37 54.41 Redbak Driving (Flipped)
Fastest car upside down through the traps 😂

The other banzai "Typhoon" ran perfect, this time a castle sytem and half the kv motor of the 108 pass, same 4s battery and negative gearing. 34 pinion - 27 spur.

Sat 10 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 4 CELL 4S 63.84 63.66 Redbak Driving
Sun 10 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 4 CELL 4S 91.77 91.77 Redbak Driving
Sun 10 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 4 CELL 4S 90.49 90.49 Lad Driving
New PB for the lad 90mph, almost got his hat. Next time, its all about practice and preperation

"Typoon" has 125mph in it for sure, and once sorted "Comet" has 100mph in it easy with all its upgrades.
Was great to get the cars back out after so long, its a long wait for Rossa 2024. If only i could get to rd3 this year haha 🤔

Edited by Redback
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Redback said:

Sun 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 4 CELL 4S 39.35 39.40 (On Roof throug traps)

Sun 9 FTX BANZAI ELECTRIC 4 CELL 4S 54.37 54.41 Redbak Driving (Flipped)
Fastest car upside down through the traps 😂

Sounds a good weekend out, your lad should be well chuffed with 90mph 👍 You really ought to make a trophy for fastest upside down through the traps though 😎

Edited by Shergar
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Wow!!!

I cannot afford an FTX SuperForza GT or even an FTX Stinger :_{||=

Especially once I need to upgrade it!

But this opens up new possibilities with a cheap starting point :_})=

Although all that aero stuff that you have done could be a little tricky.

I still need to properly read this thread, only skimmed it.

Edited by abyd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hurricane updates.
Moving servo, testing front mounted and top mounting.
Added weights to the front splitter and moved shock ends in as was binding on wheels and running to low.
Moving the servo gives room behind the motor for larger escs and longer motors (if you cut back the chassis somewhat.
20240222_185644.jpg?ex=65ea0f75&is=65d79

• Like 3

Typoon updates.
Gets a the real speed run shell that was used on the HPI RS4 Sport 3 that was sold as i didnt enjoy running it nore was it suitable and safe to use at high speeds. 80mph with it was comendable it had a go.
This shell is 2mm thick and very stiff. The rim remains as it is like canards and helps pull the body down, some more might need to come off.
20240301_210432.jpg?ex=65f4baf7&is=65e24

To fit this body and reuse the same mounting holes, the front lines up pretty good, will need to make a new top plate to adjust it forward a little more.
The back  mounting will require a substantial plate hanging off the rear shock tower.
As the body is very low at the front, the front shock towers had to go, or i heat up and form the body around the towers, i opted to delete the tower and also delete the shocks replacing these with rod ends.
I cut the broken tower lower for the top of the steering wishbones to keep them offset correctly.
20240301_210455.jpg?ex=65f4baf7&is=65e24
Without mounting them this way the body wouldn't fit and the ride height of the body would allow to much air under the car.
The ride height is adjusted via these, sits about 5mm from the surface at the front and 10mm at the back with its limited shocks at full squat.

20240301_210551.jpg?ex=65f4baf7&is=65e24

Spot the diffrence, i was trying to keep the cars mostly stock, uh oh. 😄
Getting excited for ROSSA!

• Like 2

On 23/02/2021 at 14:31, Redback said:

Gave the drive shaft mod a propper test, using the same setup as the 61mph run, just with smaller sorex tires, so geared down a little if anything.
First up some tastey data, esc got a bit warm this time but nothing close to failure. Managed to max it this time.
unknown.png

20210223062112-10246-profile.png

3s power! 80mph, beat my personal best by 19mph, smashed the 70mph goal, so the next goal is 100. On 4s i think i 100mph is doable.

IMG_20210223_135236.thumb.jpg.19dec6705c9d16e20150b065fa4506d5.jpg

Very happy with this result, if it doesnt go faster im not fussed, hit my goal then some.

What kv and gearing was this on please bud 

13 hours ago, Mac Legge said:

What kv and gearing was this on please bud 

This would be on 4300kv 3665 hobbywing xr8 4s setup.
Gearing was traxass spur gear 32dp 34 - 38t or something with 24t pinion from the looks of it, sadly i dont have the exact details as i run 34 pinion and 24t spur now, both of these are pinions and requires a custom drive shaft mod to use.

11 hours ago, Redback said:

This would be on 4300kv 3665 hobbywing xr8 4s setup.
Gearing was traxass spur gear 32dp 34 - 38t or something with 24t pinion from the looks of it, sadly i dont have the exact details as i run 34 pinion and 24t spur now, both of these are pinions and requires a custom drive shaft mod to use.

Ok bud thankyou, I'm hoping to get atleast 45-50mph from 3900kv on stock gearing and 3s..  Just gotta find a cheap gps lol 😂