• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Looking for my first kit.

Nesiah

I've had a Maverick Strada brushed MT, this was my first rc, just a lockdown toy really,but it was super fun, then I learned about brushless, so got an Arrma big rock V3, with a 3s lipo, this absolutely ripped about and was even more awesome that I imagined.

The problem arises then they break, I'm utterly clueless how to fix, this got me bummed out and sold both.

I still really want to get into the hobby, so I think it would be a great idea to build my own from scratch, that way I will know or understand more about fixing in the future.

So I'm looking for my first full kit, a buggy style like the Typhon.

Recommendations for the electronics

And a list of any and all tools I would need to sit and build one.

Budget is around £200 for the chassis and electronics. Will spend more if it's worth the cost.

Many thanks

• Like 1

Not sure you'll get something exactly like the Typhon for £200 all in.

It might not be your thing, but I'd highly recommend the Tamiya Holiday buggy.

£85 for the basic kit, probably another £80-90 for electrics, then you'd need to factor in radio gear and battery/charger, but that's the same for any kit.

I bash mine pretty good and so far it's standing up to it, the body has a few cracks, but mechanically it's excellent, it really surprised me, I spoke to a few people about drivetrain upgrades when I put a brushless system in it and they said the drivetrain is actually really strong, for such a cheap buggy too.

That would get my vote, but it depends if you like the style and size or not.

As OHO suggests a Tamiya kit would help to teach you basics of repair etc in building it and what parts are what but they probably wont have the speed of the Typhon but they can be great fun :cheers:

i would go the  sandviper route as it is the same chassis as the holiday buggy but better specs out the box, oil filled shocks and a 540 motor instead of a 380 and i love mine 🙂

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-sand-viper-dt-02-/rc-car-products/25688

either would be good and oh how original has done a mental job on his holiday buggy lol

out the box both will be pretty slow compared to what you had but they both also come with a motor and a esc which helps the budget a bit,  just a servo for steering and a rx and tx needed for leccy assuming you have batts and a charger all ready  🙂

Edited by Yrkoon

for tools something like this would be helpful https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-multi-driver-set/rc-car-products/370422

long nose pliers are really handy as are cutters and a model knife/scalpel

thread lock for metal to metal contacts like the wheel nuts to stop wheels going flying after working loose don't use it on any thing plastic though 🙂

@Nesiah - this is my Holiday buggy, not quite your average one though... But hasn't cost all that much really, especially consider it handles very very well on tarmac too.

That's my friends Maverick Timberwolf, he's running a 4000kv motor on 3s... I am using the same motor on 2s, but a lot less drivetrain to push, lighting and overall gear ratio is a bit higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

@Nesiah - this is my Holiday buggy, not quite your average one though... But hasn't cost all that much really, especially consider it handles very very well on tarmac too.

That's my friends Maverick Timberwolf, he's running a 4000kv motor on 3s... I am using the same motor on 2s, but a lot less drivetrain to push, lighting and overall gear ratio is a bit higher.

Wowsers, that's a beast. After looking at the costs and what my style is I'm upping the budget.

dark impact is a no no hard to get any parts for i think, there was a guy on this forum that invested in a dark impact but found it hard to get parts for, was a shame as it looked like a cracking buggy  😞

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Yrkoon said:

dark impact is a no no hard to get any parts for i think, there was a guy on this forum that invested in a dark impact but found it hard to get parts for, was a shame as it looked like a cracking buggy  😞

For some reason I thought the dt03 was the dark impact.

I like the look of the neo fighter and sand viper

1 hour ago, Guns said:

If youve upped your budget, get an Arrma 3s and pull it apart and rebuild it?

What are parts and availablity like for these? And what vehicle would u recommend, do arrma or Traxxas do any kits?

Edited by Nesiah

Neo Fighter is DT03, Sand Viper, Holiday Buggy, Fighter Buggy SV, Nissan Titan etc are all DT02, but with differing spec levels, as alluded to above.  Dark Impack is, I think, DF03.  Had a few weak spots, and as Guns said, parts situation isn't great.

To my knowledge, Arrma don't do proper kits, but Traxxas do a kit version of the Stampede 4x4 and the Slash, though these are going to set you back a fair chunk more than original budget after elecs etc.  Personally, I'd go with some form of DT02, very tough out the box, drivetrain wise at least, think the chassis is pretty good too, good fun to build, loads of aftermarket, and not that pricey.  Or a Blitzer Beetle if you can get one.  I have a Stadium Blitzer in the restoration queue, and from my initial research, these trucks, like the DT02, have very tough tranny's, more than able to take 'sensible' BL & lipo. Unlike some other cheaper Tamiya kits. 

21 minutes ago, Nesiah said:

What are parts and availablity like for these? And what vehicle would u recommend, do arrma or Traxxas do any kits?

I meant an Arrma Typhon 3S as its the style you want and the quality of your Big Rock.

Its not a kit, but theres nothing stopping you stripping it down.

The problem is yovue experienced the Big Rock on 3S, so I think the Tamiya's mentioned will be a dissapointment?

Or Traxxas do a kit? Not sure if they're in budget though.

1 hour ago, Guns said:

I meant an Arrma Typhon 3S as its the style you want and the quality of your Big Rock.

Its not a kit, but theres nothing stopping you stripping it down.

The problem is yovue experienced the Big Rock on 3S, so I think the Tamiya's mentioned will be a dissapointment?

Or Traxxas do a kit? Not sure if they're in budget though.

My Tamiya is faster and more stable than my Senton lol.