• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX mauler speed upgrade?

Simon newton

Hi all, I purchased an FTX mauler crawler for my son for Xmas, he loves it but not bothered about the crawling and wants it faster, what’s the best upgrade I can do for mor speed?? I’m not bothered about losing the torque for crawling, any links with the answers would be great as I haven’t got a clue ha ha! 
thanks

36 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Depends how much faster you want it to go.

It's really not designed for lots of speed.

Solid axles and FTX plastics are really not a good combination for speed I'm afraid.

True but they are not the worst, they flex and are not brittle.

2 hours ago, Simon newton said:

Hi all, I purchased an FTX mauler crawler for my son for Xmas, he loves it but not bothered about the crawling and wants it faster, what’s the best upgrade I can do for mor speed?? I’m not bothered about losing the torque for crawling, any links with the answers would be great as I haven’t got a clue ha ha! 
thanks

Hello welcome! Aslong as its just more speed rather than doing jumps & stunts, a cheap brushless combo will give you a speed boost and run time increase. Otherwise you can try increasing the pinion size but will stress the motor and esc.  Motor + Esc (£60+)
As the mauler is locked diffs, you could try the kanyon axles that support the large open diff used on other ftx models that is an open diff. eg the outlaw rear diff is the same as the kanyon just with a locker.
New axels will widen the track but will help with rolling over when turning if your going to be going faster anyway. Axels and parts (£35)
Another option is bigger tires and wheels this will upgear the drive, i think the mauler runs 140mm tires you can get 148mm ones. Tires + Rims (£60)

But as oho said, its a crawler not made for speed, could spend this money on a basher like a small buggy or stadium truck.

39 minutes ago, Redback said:

But as oho said, its a crawler not made for speed, could spend this money on a basher like a small buggy or stadium truck.

I somehow have to agree.

My son started with the FTX Mauler and still likes to do some crawling.

But he also wanted speed and the Mauler is not really made for speed.

Then I bought him the FTX Bugsta Brushless.

Brushless was good, because I could initially program the ESC to just 50% power.

And think about that:

Your son wants a bit more speed now and you tune the Mauler to the max which is not much.

With that you loose more or less its crawling ability.

Then he wants even more speed.. What do you do?

You might want to consider also giving him a faster car.

Since you have already a FTX, the FTX Carnage/Bugsta could be an option.

I would go for Brushless, reduce the speed initially and your wallet has some peace for a while.

Or you get a crawler yourself and show him the path to some really good crawling challenges.

That might keep him interested in crawling for a while longer.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Simon newton said:

Hi, thank you for all your help, so the best option is a brushless and esc combo for now,  have any of you got a link for the right one please. I think this will keep him happy for a bit till I buy him a new one! : )

You want to convert the Mauler to brushless?

Then you can find a number of budget combos on ebay.

The stock Mauler has his ESC combined with the receiver.

In addition to the Brushless Combo you would also need separate receiver.

That should either match with your transmitter or get a new transmitter/receiver combo.

Since I didn't do any changes to mine, you might also want to have look at the Mauler owners thread:

"FTX Mauler Rock Crawler Owners Thread"