• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which Soldering Iron Kit??

Callyakn

Hello! My soldering iron has taken a battering over the years and it must be near 30 year old now... wanted to get a new kit with solder for the arrival of my new connectors for my EXB build... (not soldered in years)

anyone recommend a nice kit, that’s not too expensive with the correct solder wire?

19 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

worth looking at the lipo powered irons, they heat up quick, adjustable temps and can use it in the field , think i will get one sometime but not cheap, think around £40-50

That sounds pretty handy! but i think im going to stick with a 240v mains one, dont need to be that techy!!! 

Wondering on Soldering Iron!

For normal jobs I use an Aldi special buy temp controlled one, for connectors I use a cheap big tipped one meant for stained glass windows and for mobile iv got a gas one from aldi

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

worth looking at the lipo powered irons, they heat up quick, adjustable temps and can use it in the field , think i will get one sometime but not cheap, think around £40-50

Never heard of Lipo powered irons. I love to be cableless and use gas powered for years.

But always having to carry around a gas can is sometimes impracticable.

I will certainly look into the Lipo version.

• Like 2

I'm just going to copy & paste my response from a previous thread as my recommendation hasn't changed. I always recommend a Weller soldering iron after swapping to them a while ago.

I use a Weller mains powered 40w and it's more than good enough to do everything I've thrown at it from XT90's to 8mm bullets & 8Awg wire. 

Link: https://cpc.farnell.com/weller/sp40nuk/soldering-iron-40w-230v-uk/dp/SD01898?mckv=siSH2jC2V_dc|pcrid|224654335881|kword||match||plid||slid||product|SD01898|pgrid|50784539401|ptaid|pla-900817406776|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw5nnzNbU6QIVTLDtCh14hgCPEAQYASABEgKrhvD_BwE#

From this thread: 

• 6 months later...
On 01/01/2021 at 16:05, GMballistic said:

I'm just going to copy & paste my response from a previous thread as my recommendation hasn't changed. I always recommend a Weller soldering iron after swapping to them a while ago.

I use a Weller mains powered 40w and it's more than good enough to do everything I've thrown at it from XT90's to 8mm bullets & 8Awg wire. 

Link: https://cpc.farnell.com/weller/sp40nuk/soldering-iron-40w-230v-uk/dp/SD01898?mckv=siSH2jC2V_dc|pcrid|224654335881|kword||match||plid||slid||product|SD01898|pgrid|50784539401|ptaid|pla-900817406776|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw5nnzNbU6QIVTLDtCh14hgCPEAQYASABEgKrhvD_BwE#

From this thread: 

Been hunting through the forum re a soldering iron and found this thread. 

I have a 60 watt 450 degree (cheap Amazon special) which is struggling to heat my EC5 connectors. For this reason, I’m sceptical of getting an iron with less wattage, as the temperature isn’t the problem, it’s just that it takes an age to heat the bullets to temperature.

I was looking at 90w + irons. I have noticed in a few model shops that they have what looks like a big flat head screwdriver and are soldering with them effortlessly. Anyone know what irons these could be? From memory, I believe they had wooden handles.

If you’re sure this iron (the one quoted above) is capable, I will probably go for it, but hopefully you can appreciate my concerns after the troubles I’ve been having.

11 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Been hunting through the forum re a soldering iron and found this thread. 

I have a 60 watt 450 degree (cheap Amazon special) which is struggling to heat my EC5 connectors. For this reason, I’m sceptical of getting an iron with less wattage, as the temperature isn’t the problem, it’s just that it takes an age to heat the bullets to temperature.

I was looking at 90w + irons. I have noticed in a few model shops that they have what looks like a big flat head screwdriver and are soldering with them effortlessly. Anyone know what irons these could be? From memory, I believe they had wooden handles.

If you’re sure this iron (the one quoted above) is capable, I will probably go for it, but hopefully you can appreciate my concerns after the troubles I’ve been having.

There is a lot more involved with soldering than people tend to believe and poor heat transference could be down to more than one thing (dirty soldering iron tip, not properly tinned tip, lack of flux & so on).

Have a look at this guide here which has a ton of info so it will take a while to go through: 

I always recommend the Weller 40W because it is such a good iron.
The large chisel type tip is perfect for the type of connectors I mainly solder which are 6.5mm-8mm bullets using larger gauge wiring.  

Personally if you've already got an iron I'd firstly try some things with it to see if it really is the problem or just user error (no offence ~ I've been there myself). Have a look at that thread like I said when you get time.

Also I would buy some proper tip tinner like this if you don't have any to help properly clean and re-tin the tip; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353375454696epid=16016668785&hash=item5246d185e8:g:VQkAAOSw3ppgGoMZ 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GMballistic said:

There is a lot more involved with soldering than people tend to believe and poor heat transference could be down to more than one thing (dirty soldering iron tip, not properly tinned tip, lack of flux & so on).

Have a look at this guide here which has a ton of info so it will take a while to go through: 

I always recommend the Weller 40W because it is such a good iron.
The large chisel type tip is perfect for the type of connectors I mainly solder which are 6.5mm-8mm bullets using larger gauge wiring.  

Personally if you've already got an iron I'd firstly try some things with it to see if it really is the problem or just user error (no offence ~ I've been there myself). Have a look at that thread like I said when you get time.

Also I would buy some proper tip tinner like this if you don't have any to help properly clean and re-tin the tip; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353375454696epid=16016668785&hash=item5246d185e8:g:VQkAAOSw3ppgGoMZ 

Thanks for that. I now have some tip tinner and  solder with lead in it on the way. Hopefully these two missing ingredients will improve  my soldering abilities. 
I was surprised to see how little flux is used. Very good guide and now looking forward to giving the existing iron another chance…

On 01/01/2021 at 16:05, GMballistic said:

Some bad advice and severe lack of knowledge on this thread. 

So modern irons have the advantage of temperature control and having the heating element much closer to the tip. An old fashioned 40w iron requires more heating time and do a really bad job of getting heat into both surfaces so solder can stick often needing excessive heat to work. 

For a cheap iron go for the Amazon stuff with a temperature dial they outperform old fashioned irons with a heater element closer to the tip, for decent go for KSGER T12 with a few tips on aliexpress the element is built into the tip and temp controller. Similar to the t12 and more multipurpose is Banggood ts100 it’s toy size but can be run off most power sources. Pinecil basically same as ts100. 
For better branded irons Hako make those and supposedly a value brand but just ignore.

For solder leaded is better it flows better with stronger joints but the fumes are really bad, non leaded is significantly better in that regard but both work much better with rosin flux and that has horrific fumes.

Edited by .AJ.
Swearing removed

1 hour ago, walkbythesea said:

Where did you buy this from?  Do you have a link please?

Amazon, of course!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001P171A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Just now, walkbythesea said:

Thank you man, perfect - hopefully my XT90 installs at the weekend will go a bit better now!

you're welcome. I haven't used the stuff before, so hope its okay. The reviews were all pretty good, and I'm a sucker for anything with 'prime' delivery. I'll let you know how I get on...

2 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Proper leaded solder makes my life better!

Soldered XT90’s with ease with my 25w Antex just for having real solder 👍

Glad it made a difference 😁

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...