• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

9 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Do they improve the running of it ?

I havnt ran mine since i also changed the wheels tyres yet 

I'd say they're about the same as the other ones, they just look a bit better. I thought the other ones performed quite well though, so I don't have any complaints.

Still thinking about throwing the dice on this, But one question I have, When it comes to a scale crawler, And not a Comp crawler, Why is weight looked at as a bad thing, When you watch video's you can see which trucks are carrying more weight, But in doing so they look more scale as the extra weight allows the suspension to move into the chassis as opposed to it not, And to me a heavy truck looks more scale than not. 

9 minutes ago, babylon said:

Still thinking about throwing the dice on this, But one question I have, When it comes to a scale crawler, And not a Comp crawler, Why is weight looked at as a bad thing, When you watch video's you can see which trucks are carrying more weight, But in doing so they look more scale as the extra weight allows the suspension to move into the chassis as opposed to it not, And to me a heavy truck looks more scale than not. 

On a scale rig weight is not a bad thing, but it really depends where the weight is, take a TRX defender, heavy shell, add a roof rack, then add items to roof rack and you have a top heavy rig, fine in a straight line over bumps and divots and roots, try turning going uphill and it is likely to topple.

Hence i found on my DC1 it has a fairly heavy shell with a lot of weight over the front, much less at the rear this makes it want to tip forward going down steepish banks when drag brake comes into play, adding weighted wheels helps by putting some weight low down, helping to balance the truck....hope this helps

• Like 2

1 hour ago, babylon said:

Weight doesn't really matter for trailing but when it comes to crawling/side hilling etc it causes it to tip easier. 

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

You going rtr or kit ?

Kit, I don't think the RTR are that common anymore as it's discontinued, But I have radio and servo's so will just need a combo.

• Like 1

Still pleased with my DC1, have ordered a winch bumper from China and some different tyres that are slightly taller (120mm) and I hope will fill the arches a bit better.

Need to finish my 3D printed trailer as well, I have the original HoBao wheels but no tyres so once new tyres arrive and they go onto the beadlockers I can use the original tyres for the trailer.

still need to improve the steering, I am hoping a metal steering arm might take out some of the play, also on way from the Far East…

51 minutes ago, whitecitadel said:

Still pleased with my DC1, have ordered a winch bumper from China and some different tyres that are slightly taller (120mm) and I hope will fill the arches a bit better.

Need to finish my 3D printed trailer as well, I have the original HoBao wheels but no tyres so once new tyres arrive and they go onto the beadlockers I can use the original tyres for the trailer.

still need to improve the steering, I am hoping a metal steering arm might take out some of the play, also on way from the Far East…

Can someone explain to me the whole tyre and wheel sizing thing and how it works, I've seen all the 1.9 - 2.2 stuff and not sure what it all means as I'll be a  newbie.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, babylon said:

Can someone explain to me the whole tyre and wheel sizing thing and how it works, I've seen all the 1.9 - 2.2 stuff and not sure what it all means as I'll be a  newbie.

For the DC1 114mm or 115mm OD tyres work best this is the size of the stock ones, so you can get say 1.9 beadlock wheels and 1.9 tyres but go 114mm OD  on the tyre, i tried 108 and they were just to small

• Like 1

@everclear1984 and @Stormbringer

If you're still using the one from your build thread, here is a cropped picture of the servo

50616024473_0c3f6f4390_o.thumb.jpg.6b58a3c866a907b46302be7f5c92fb54.jpg

I'm running an Etronix 9g micro servo, but must admit I've not got it wet.....yet!

HTH

Edited by MrPeaski
  • Like 1

Thx for posting that mate im really impressed with what that poor wee servo has been through and its still going lol :rofl:

I think im using a traxxas waterproof micro servo in mine

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MrPeaski said:

@everclear1984 and @Stormbringer

If you're still using the one from your build thread, here is a cropped picture of the servo

50616024473_0c3f6f4390_o.thumb.jpg.6b58a3c866a907b46302be7f5c92fb54.jpg

I'm running an Etronix 9g micro servo, but must admit I've not got it wet.....yet!

HTH

Yep, same one 🙂 Good work, detective 😉

• Like 2

Really must try and get out with mine again, not been out since I posted the video at the beach!

I have remodelled the front bumper though to try and give a better approach angle. same shape as the stock one minus the 'bull bar' loops and about 10mm thinner?

I'll post a picture when I get around to it.

• Like 1