• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

At least you got refunded quickly mate

yes and looking at the guys bad feedback i was lucky to get that, so now i am going second best on tyres as i have already bought 2 different sets for this truck before, one set from china were so bad i could not use them, next set just a bit to small, at least these i have ordered are right size

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get my hands on one after wanting one for ages.  When I looked at them at release a lot of youtubers didn't like it but how are people finding the performance vs other models? Also I understand the stock tyres are terrible so will be upgrading those what other upgrades do people recommend?

28 minutes ago, stretch said:

Finally managed to get my hands on one after wanting one for ages.  When I looked at them at release a lot of youtubers didn't like it but how are people finding the performance vs other models? Also I understand the stock tyres are terrible so will be upgrading those what other upgrades do people recommend?

It tends to hang up fairly easily. You can help it along a little by flipping these bolts and fitted flat head screws

Before

IMG20201204123207

After

IMG20201204123418

The stock shocks need work. After much trial and error I found filing a flat in the piston worked, though I went too far and to up the shock oil weight to 45wt. I'm super happy with how it performs now 🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stretch said:

Thanks for the tips mate i'll get some flat heads ordered. Yeah although I haven't run it yet the shocks didn't seem very good to me so will take a look at them.  

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts comparing it to other crawlers. I don't really have much for comparison.

• Like 2

@stretch, here is my take on the DC1, for me the truck is very front heavy, i have solved this by fitting a second battery tray over rear axle, i kept the stock one in the mid ship place, so it gives the option to run a pair of lipo`s in parallel, or if i want just a single lipo in either place.

Tyres......i think the stock tyres would perform well as they are a soft compound with an interesting tread pattern, but the tyres are pretty tricky to get other than stock glued to cheap plastic rims, so i ended up with Alloy beadlocks and some cheap 114mm tyres.

2 speed box, i dont see much use for this but its fitted and i do use it at times.

The shell is top heavy but pretty solid and not a bad looker, as its very scale.

Out of the box shocks are not good but they do respond to a little TLC and a fettle now mine work pretty good.

Overall i i feel this wont crawl as good as my FS racing SCX10 clone, but as a trail truck its pretty good, i sorted shocks, did the flat head axle bolt mod, dual battery box mod plus wheels an tyres, with a pair of 5200mah 2s lipo this will trail run for about 7 hours, i did come close to selling it but glad i have kept it now.

P.s watch out for steering over extending, it can break the pins in the cvd`s on front axle, need to dial down the steering end points a little

@Jack Reachermy second hand dc1 has the battery at the back, I think it's the kit version so is this where it would have mounted vs the rtr? I can't be bothered ot mess around with gluing tyres i've  got some cheapo beadlocks and tyres in the my spare box so will try them.

Yes I heard there's not much difference in speed between the two?

Tbh the body is one of the reasons I went for it as I liked it plus the fact it had a real interior.

What weight shock oil you running?

That makes sense i've bought it more for trailing on family walks etc as opposed to any comp crawling. 

Great tip thanks for that.

Also I currently have 3 wheel drive due to the pin on the right in this pic missing does anyone know if it's available separately?

dc1pin.jpg

When I kept loosing pins from one of my cars I managed to find a bag of 100 pins of the same size on Amazon for about the same price as two or three from one of the model shops. Not sure I’ll ever get though them all. 

• 3 weeks later...

So to wake a thread, Is this truck still relevant today, I know you get better and more aftermarket stuff with the likes of the Carisma stuff and Traxxas, But at 200 quid for the kit it seems like a nice project, But are are you just better off going for a Carisma clone and throwing some saving at upgrades, It's just that the Carisma cars come across as being a bit boring, And Traxxas a bit dear for someone that just wants to dip there toe in.

4 hours ago, babylon said:

So to wake a thread, Is this truck still relevant today, I know you get better and more aftermarket stuff with the likes of the Carisma stuff and Traxxas, But at 200 quid for the kit it seems like a nice project, But are are you just better off going for a Carisma clone and throwing some saving at upgrades, It's just that the Carisma cars come across as being a bit boring, And Traxxas a bit dear for someone that just wants to dip there toe in.

As a crawler the coyote will run rings around the DC1 but as a scale trail rig that can do a bit of crawling its a good rig, as said many times the shocks need work to get them sweet, and its top heavy so needs weight redistibution  and stock its front heavy. As a trail truck its got good wheel speed in top gear, has proper light buckets and lens so a set of LED lights work nice in it, when i got mine i have to say i came close to selling it much to the amusement of a few people on here and have to say i dont know why that was funny, you see a model that might be a good truck but not like you can try it before buying it and running it of road, if you find you dont like the model why keep it....just my 2 cents worth!

I set mine up with twin lipo tray so i can run a pair of 5200mah 2s lipo`s in parallel to give massive run times and it helps with the trucks front heavy issue..........some say its not front heavy but only have to watch any youtube of a stock one doing head over rolls on all downhill trails, may still sell mine yet

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

You changed the wheels tyres on it ?

Good to see it in action again mate :good:

I changed them a while ago, haven't used it much since though. They fill the arches much better than the old ones did.

• Like 1