• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Shiny gold paint on lexan?

Oh How Original

As per the title, what's my best option for this from rattle cans?

I doubt it will be the whole body and it's actually only panels anyway on my Gatekeeper.

But I have never done a gold truck before, figure it's something a little different from my norm.

I hear Tamiya TS paints are quite poor and crack easily and basically not worth using on the outside either (which I assume is my best option)

So give me some advice chaps, I am experienced with spraying, but never tried shiny gold before.

I don't want it to turn out looking mustard!

19 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

As per the title, what's my best option for this from rattle cans?

I doubt it will be the whole body and it's actually only panels anyway on my Gatekeeper.

But I have never done a gold truck before, figure it's something a little different from my norm.

I hear Tamiya TS paints are quite poor and crack easily and basically not worth using on the outside either (which I assume is my best option)

So give me some advice chaps, I am experienced with spraying, but never tried shiny gold before.

I don't want it to turn out looking mustard!

im no expert  but gold and silver have always been trouble to me.   Im in to model trains and anytime gold shows up it looks bad.   Sorry to be no help whatsoever   lol

dan, if you do the paint inside a clear lexan shell then i'd either get a gold with a high metalic  or pearl content then back it with the brightest metalic/ pearl silver you can find ,

then back that with black, that should make it pop,

if your gonna do the outside of lexan then prep it really well, plastic primer, then a silver base as above, then gold, then clear coat,

you might have seen my dragon jammer panels that i did green, that was done on the outside of lexan panels and i used automotive paint,

not easy but it will stick if you get the prep right and take yer time with it,

heres a pic of the panels matey, i know it aint gold but just to show automotive paint will stick to lexan lol,

not sure why, but image from postimage wont work at moment dan,

Edited by spents
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

Cheers chaps, need to find the nicest gold colour now and go from there, i think just the shine from the lexan is the best I can hope for and try to get a deep gold tone, failing that I wondered about having another colour as well and making that matte to enhance the shine of the gold.

best bet is use a cheapo shell or piece of lexan and experiment a tad dan,

say two coats of gole then siver etc and see how it comes out

Edited by spents

51 minutes ago, spents said:

best bet is use a cheapo shell or piece of lexan and experiment a tad dan,

say two coats of gole then siver etc and see how it comes out

Yeah I definitely will, just figured it was worth asking in case someone has had some experience, or send it to Marcus @Sharkfat78 are you available and able to do shiny gold?