• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

WL Toys 144001 - Which Lipo?

James.S

So i've had one of these little mean machines from WL Toys for a couple of months now.

They are a lot of fun for the money & probably the fastest RC you can get for under £100 quid (I actually got mine for £65 with 2 batteries!)

Anyway, so far i've just been running it on the 1500mah 2s lipos that it came with. Now don't get me wrong, they're not bad at all. I've actually clocked the car at 32mph on my friends GPS meter. So it's no slouch. 

Now i have no idea what C rating these cheapo batteries are, so would simply upgrading to a similar size 2s battery with, say, 35C make any difference do you think?  Or would I need something with higher mah too? (3000ish is probably the maximum that the battery tray can hold)

I've also seen people run 3s lipos with these. Most of them have changed the motor out for a brushless one & most likely upgraded their ESC aswell,

but I have seen a few that have used a 3s lipo with the standard 550 brushed motor and it seems to work. One of them managed to get 47mph out of it! 

So bearing all of that in mind, which kind of lipo do you guys think is gonna be my best option for this RC?

Cheers

Is that overlander battery a 2 or 3s? And it fits into the 144001's battery tray with no modifications? 

I've been looking at these zop power 3s lipos: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZOP-Power-4500mAh-3S-11-1V-45C-Lipo-Battery-T-Plug-for-RC-Racing-Car-Drone/233594584445

They seem to be very good value for money, and recommended by a popular RC youtuber. Not sure if you or anyone else here has had any experience with them?

Is that overlander battery a 2 or 3s? And it fits into the 144001's battery tray with no modifications? 

I've been looking at these zop power 3s lipos: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZOP-Power-4500mAh-3S-11-1V-45C-Lipo-Battery-T-Plug-for-RC-Racing-Car-Drone/233594584445
They seem to be very good value for money, and recommended by a popular RC youtuber. Not sure if you or anyone else here has had any experience with them?
I couldn't tell you as I don't have a wltoys 144001 https://www.overlander.co.uk/lipo-batteries/7-4v-2s/5300mah-7-4v-2s-55c-hard-case-sport-track-lipo-battery.html
Only way to tell is measure your existing batteries and have a look 0a6369d0e1becc7e5273f68002f8da0a.jpg

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So from my measurements & without moving the esc, I should be able to use any lipo that is under 110m length, 40mm width & around 20mm high

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have a 144001, I bought an upgraded 2s which fits ok but I’m having difficulty under load. The esc switches off, initially I thought it was the battery but having cycle charged+balance half a dozens times the voltage I’m getting is correct. No idea what’s going on.....spec on new battery is 4200mAh 2S 25C. Once you switch esc back on it’s ok until you hit another slight (very slight) obstacle, then it shuts down again. Very frustrating....any thoughts welcome

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HJ-7-4V-4200mah-2S-25C-Lipo-Battery-T-Plug-For-Wltoys-12428-12429-1-12-RC-Car-UK-/174020209329

Edited by Markoos81

• 1 month later...
On 08/01/2021 at 19:48, Markoos81 said:

Hi, I have a 144001, I bought an upgraded 2s which fits ok but I’m having difficulty under load. The esc switches off, initially I thought it was the battery but having cycle charged+balance half a dozens times the voltage I’m getting is correct. No idea what’s going on.....spec on new battery is 4200mAh 2S 25C. Once you switch esc back on it’s ok until you hit another slight (very slight) obstacle, then it shuts down again. Very frustrating....any thoughts welcome

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HJ-7-4V-4200mah-2S-25C-Lipo-Battery-T-Plug-For-Wltoys-12428-12429-1-12-RC-Car-UK-/174020209329

I'm not a 100% but pretty sure the c rating isn't large enough so the car when under load just can't run due to not having a high enough discharge rate, also having a look at the battery size to me it dosent look anywhere near big enough to be 4200mah! 

I have a few batteries that I use with mine.
 AWANFI 2S Lipo Battery Pack 7.4V 1500mAh 45C Rechargeable RC Battery Pack with Deans T Plug for RC Cars RC Boats RC Truck Traxxas Helicopter Drone Hobby(2 Pack)
Fits great and also fits my A959-B 

I also use this battery which fits like a glove

US $17.73  27% Off | RCtown 2600mAh Lipo Battery T Plug for WLtoys 1/14 144001 RC Ca

There is also a great write up here

Edited by Sigfod
Updated links

On 02/10/2020 at 15:01, James RC said:

So i've had one of these little mean machines from WL Toys for a couple of months now.

They are a lot of fun for the money & probably the fastest RC you can get for under £100 quid (I actually got mine for £65 with 2 batteries!)

Anyway, so far i've just been running it on the 1500mah 2s lipos that it came with. Now don't get me wrong, they're not bad at all. I've actually clocked the car at 32mph on my friends GPS meter. So it's no slouch. 

Now i have no idea what C rating these cheapo batteries are, so would simply upgrading to a similar size 2s battery with, say, 35C make any difference do you think?  Or would I need something with higher mah too? (3000ish is probably the maximum that the battery tray can hold)

I've also seen people run 3s lipos with these. Most of them have changed the motor out for a brushless one & most likely upgraded their ESC aswell,

but I have seen a few that have used a 3s lipo with the standard 550 brushed motor and it seems to work. One of them managed to get 47mph out of it! 

So bearing all of that in mind, which kind of lipo do you guys think is gonna be my best option for this RC?

Cheers

2200 mah 2 or 3 s James 

• 2 months later...

I've been running a Zeee 2s 6000mah 80c for about 2 months now and it absolutely rips. Not sure what my top speed is but it's waaaayyyyy faster than the stock battery.  Haven't blown out any diff's or stripped any gears either. Everything else in it is stock. Only added upgrades we're slightly larger tires and the battery. I can still use the stock batteries as well (which I use if I plan on leaving the ground/hiting big jumps a lot, helps keep the weight down). If I'm racing or just burning through the grass or a parking lot.... 6000mah 80c ALL DAY!

• Like 1

@DRoth Nice one mate 👍 you've done well to get a 6000mah in there to be honest. Must be a tight fit! The motor must get pretty hot by the end of a session with that battery. I know mine does on my 124018 when im running my 5200mah 60c Vorjay.

What run times are you getting on the various size batteries? I'm tempted with one of these instead of trying to get longer run times out of my A959 as I have a 5000mah 2s lipo which by the sounds of it will work in this car? It gives huge run times on a trail truck so what would it give on something like this bashing about on grass in a park?

Edit - just measured my lipo and its 135mm so won't fit the battery tray.

Edited by sp0oner73

9 hours ago, sp0oner73 said:

What run times are you getting on the various size batteries? 

What would it give on something like this bashing about on grass in a park?

Just measured my lipo and its 135mm so won't fit the battery tray.

So with my 5200mah battery in my 124018 I get about 35-40 mins run time.

You can expect about the same from your 144001 as it has exactly the same motor & weighs pretty much the same amount.

Yeah the bigger capacity lipos don't simply just fit in there, I had to remove the whole battery tray on my 124018 & also a piece of the bodyshell and then the battery would fit sideways 

(see photos below)

1398118734_124018lipo1.thumb.png.d79293fee84ac209ca6503d76dd302a2.png1519551278_124018lipo2.thumb.png.5f7e92b1b6a906f7237ad6d25aa98b8c.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James.S said:

So with my 5200mah battery in my 124018 I get about 35-40 mins run time.

You can expect about the same from your 144001 as it has exactly the same motor & weighs pretty much the same amount.

Yeah the bigger capacity lipos don't simply just fit in there, I had to remove the whole battery tray on my 124018 & also a piece of the bodyshell and then the battery would fit sideways 

(see photos below)

1398118734_124018lipo1.thumb.png.d79293fee84ac209ca6503d76dd302a2.png1519551278_124018lipo2.thumb.png.5f7e92b1b6a906f7237ad6d25aa98b8c.png

That's brilliant thanks but yours is a lot longer chassis than the 144001 so if you had trouble i'm thinking there is no way it's going to fit in a 144001? If I could get 30+ minutes run time i'll order right now! However i'm still looking as to what the maximum size battery will realistically fit the 144001 so can see if it will be worth it as I don't want less than 30 minutes run time.

On 11/02/2021 at 14:04, Sigfod said:

Could you please confirm what run time you get from that 2600mah battery as I can order a 144001 with that battery included from Banggood but need to know what runtime it would give before buying.

22 minutes ago, sp0oner73 said:

That's brilliant thanks but yours is a lot longer chassis than the 144001 so if you had trouble i'm thinking there is no way it's going to fit in a 144001? If I could get 30+ minutes run time i'll order right now! However i'm still looking as to what the maximum size battery will realistically fit the 144001 so can see if it will be worth it as I don't want less than 30 minutes run time.

You're welcome mate. Yes it is a bit longer so you may struggle to fit something that size in yours. Maybe take a look at some 3300mah - 4000mah lipos as they do vary in size a bit and you might just find one that fits 👍

22 minutes ago, sp0oner73 said:

Could you please confirm what run time you get from that 2600mah battery as I can order a 144001 with that battery included from Banggood but need to know what runtime it would give before buying.

A 2600mah will give you about 20 minutes run time. To be honest though, from my own experiences I feel that 20 mins is a pretty decent run time for these models. As when you drive them continuously for more than that you will find the motor & esc does get pretty hot, and then you risk burning them out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, James.S said:

You're welcome mate. Yes it is a bit longer so you may struggle to fit something that size in yours. Maybe take a look at some 3300mah - 4000mah lipos as they do vary in size a bit and you might just find one that fits 👍

A 2600mah will give you about 20 minutes run time. To be honest though, from my own experiences I feel that 20 mins is a pretty decent run time for these models. As when you drive them continuously for more than that you will find the motor & esc does get pretty hot, and then you risk burning them out.

Thanks yes that's the issue I keep thinking about - I want long run times but don't want to burn the motor/esc out! 20 minutes is OK and probably twice the run time of the 959/979 but 30 minutes is my holy grail for run times on smaller scale/cheap end of the market. Possibly moon on a stick time 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

What is the best  Lipo battery for a wltoys 144001? I did see tons of suggestions but could not decide. I just bought one without a battery but the stock one doesnt seem the best.. i am sure i can get a better one , what can you suggest? I have about 100 mm space of lengh, 30 mm of  wideness and almost 20 mm for height, reply with your suggestions and please do not suggest me chinese crap , thank you

Edited by ggycka