• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cleon73

Hey everyone.  Hope you're all well, and staying safe in these tough times! 

So, what am I doing here?

Well, years ago, I was gullible enough to buy the deagostini magazines, with a model kit for an electric Subaru Imprezza, which I later realised cost me a ridiculous amount of money over the build time, I never looked at R/C after that.

However, yesterday, probably 20yrs after Subaru build, I suddenly awoke with  a need to do another build, after looking on the internet, for both kits and info on manufacturers and cars, I realised just how much there is to know, and how little info there seems to be out there to help me pic a decent car, and a quality manufacturer, I'm leaning towards tamiya, but am worried I'll purchase something,  get it home, build it and relise I've wasted my money on a piece of tat, so any advice on manufacturers or anything you feel pertinent would be greatly appreciated with thanks. Look forward to hearing from you, and being a part of this community for years to come. I've posted s pic of the Scooby, also advice on charger types would be good as I have this car and a helicopter that I've lost the charge wires too, I can post pics if necessary 

I'm  currently looking at the Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin metallic Special , as I'd like to do an off road build for my 1st attempt 

Thanks in advance 

15981603142091977300051399367415.jpg

Edited by Cleon73

Hi and welcome to the site 🍻

I have the Pumpkin metallic version as well and really like i

Goes great with sons Lunchbox (same chassis in both ) in the garden great fun they both pop nice wheelies

You cant go far wrong with Tamiya kits imo :thumbsup:

They do both benefit from various mods like the 5th shock mod

Heres a link to the section on the forum for them

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

Hi and welcome to the site 🍻

I have the Pumpkin metallic version as well and really like i

Goes great with sons Lunchbox (same chassis in both ) in the garden great fun they both pop nice wheelies

You cant go far wrong with Tamiya kits imo :thumbsup:

Thanks, also looked at the lunchbox, prefer the pick up look of the Midnight Pumpkin though, good to hear can't go far wrong with Tamiya, now to find the best price, although most seem to be around the £200 mark all in. Thanks for reply 

you will still need to factor in 2 channel radio gear a battery and charger on top of the price of truck

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-midnight-pumpkin-metallic-special/rc-car-products/24668

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

you will still need to factor in 2 channel radio gear a battery and charger on top of the price of truck

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-midnight-pumpkin-metallic-special/rc-car-products/24668

Lol, I'm just looking at that one now on that site now, I'm assuming that the £224.85 package is everything I'd need to build and run it? Thanks for that though, I appreciate your help!! 

2 minutes ago, Cleon73 said:

Lol, I'm just looking at that one now on that site now, I'm assuming that the £224.85 package is everything I'd need to build and run it? Thanks for that though, I appreciate your help!! 

yeh that would get you all you need to get car up and running you could also get an extra battery at some point 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

yeh that would get you all you need to get car up and running you could also get an extra battery at some point 

That's great, thanks for advice, I'll be going to my local model shop tomorrow to see if they'll price match, if not, I'll order that one, I'll post pics as I go! 

Ohh just remebered a great mod is the bearing kit as the kit gives you nylon bushes as bearings and the do wear

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-ballrace-bearing-set-lunch-box-pumpkin/rc-car-products/23861

check out the forum section i linked to above as well some of mods like the bearing kit are best done as you build 🍻

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Ohh just remebered a great mod is the bearing kit as the kit gives you nylon bushes as bearings and the do wear

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-ballrace-bearing-set-lunch-box-pumpkin/rc-car-products/23861

check out the forum section i linked to above as well some of mods like the bearing kit are best done as you build 🍻

Thanks, and lets face it, for the sake of £9, sounds like it's not worth not doing it! 

You definitely won't be buying tat with a Tamiya, you'll still be able to buy parts for it in 20 years :thumbsup: OK, they need a little attention like bearing kits but they're a lot of fun :D

Welcome to the forum :cool_prv:

• Like 1

Thanks, that's what I need to hear, I'll be buying with confidence now, including the ballrace bearing set, can't wait to get it!!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Yrkoon said:

welcome to the forum, yeh the pumpkin and lunchies are good fun, the handling is bad but they are so entertaining :)

heres a vid of dads/stormbringers one in the garden or should i say mud pit  :)

Ha ha looks like fun, I'd imagine quite a bit of time is spent just learning to control them lol

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Cleon73 said:

Ha ha looks like fun, I'd imagine quite a bit of time is spent just learning to control them lol

hehe aye and just made em waterproof earlier, these are the shocks we are using on both https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-1-10th-75mm-aluminium-adjustable-shocks-2-/rc-car-products/17176

also both running  2s lipos on the stock motor now, gives them a nice kick, that vid was on nimhs  :)

edit: heres a pic of my lunchie insides from last week or so  :)

Fe2eRUg.jpg

a simple tie rod can reinfforce the front of the chassis pretty good  :)

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yrkoon said:

hehe aye and just made em waterproof earlier, these are the shocks we are using on both https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-1-10th-75mm-aluminium-adjustable-shocks-2-/rc-car-products/17176

also both running  2s lipos on the stock motor now, gives them a nice kick, that vid was on nimhs  :)

edit: heres a pic of my lunchie insides from last week or so  :)

Fe2eRUg.jpg

a simple tie rod can reinfforce the front of the chassis pretty good  :)

Do you run this 5th spring suspension thing I've been hearing about?

9 minutes ago, Cleon73 said:

Do you run this 5th spring suspension thing I've been hearing about?

yup, see the gold thing sticking up just behind my receiver, that is a pc mainboard stand off holding the top of the 5th shock on, the random screw i had only threaded into one of them, it is the bolt holding the 5th shock mount, 5th shock is easy, the shaft the goes right through the axle is what holds the bottom of the shock, just need to hack saw or dremmell a little slot for the bottom of the slot just enough for the shaft to slip back through  :)

im super drunk but i used a ftx surge oil shock i had kicking around as the 5th one  :)

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Yrkoon said:

yup, see the gold thing sticking up just behind my receiver, that is a pc mainboard stand off holding the top of the 5th shock on, the random screw i had only threaded into one of them, it is the bolt holding the 5th shock mount, 5th shock is easy, the shaft the goes right through the axle is what holds the bottom of the shock, just need to hack saw or dremmell a little slot for the bottom of the slot just enough for the shaft to slip back through  :)

im super drunk but i used a ftx surge oil shock i had kicking around as the 5th one  :)

Cheers, I'll be looking into doing that too I think 

7 minutes ago, Cleon73 said:

Cheers, I'll be looking into doing that too I think 

i see these are back in stock https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-spring-mount-lunch-box-2-/rc-car-products/31566

thats the mounts for normal shocks, i had to buy a whole parts bag to get em as i was one short with the 5th shock and gave dad one as well and they were out of stock  :P

should have 4 of them in the kit but more needed if doing 5th shock and oil shocks all round

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Thanks 1