• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas at it again

.AJ.

And Monopoly. 
They've patented making jokes about them patenting monopoly.

You can expect to be served a writ shortly........

Sent from my MIX2 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe i'm saying this.

I don't think it's necessary to go to court for this, but. They do indeed have a point. T-Maxx, X-Maxx etc - and the ESC, when you vocalise the name, is M-Max. You won't pronounce it like if you're stuttering. That's why they didn't go after the Max6 etc. So, technically speaking, i do think they have a case and i do think they're going to win it. 

That said: do i think it's smart, or helping the hobby? Absolutely not. What i will say, is that it's quite shocking that there doesn't seem to be a single person here on "either side", nuanced enough to actually realise that this is indeed not a patent troll (even though it's filed in Marshall, Texas, known to be the epicentre of patent trolls until the supreme court had to step in in 2017), but they actually do have a case/reason for it. Regardless of whether it's a good thing, or not. I don't think it's good for the hobby, i don't think it reflects well on Traxxas from an ethical standpoint - but legally, they're certainly correct in filing it. 

It's like hecking reading political discourse - on one side you have the guardian guys, calling for boycott, burn it to the ground, worst company ever (though that one i might agree on) - and on the other, you got the daily mail crowd, "loving it" (for some bizarre reason) and enjoying "triggering" people. 

Fact of the matter is: they do have a case without stretching for straws or making up reasons. In which case, they're perfectly within their rights to pursue it. Regardless of how bad it is for the hobby, or regardless of how bad it makes them look.

As a sidenote, who comes up with "MMax" anyway? Out of everything you could call an ESC, you not only go by a name that sounds incredibly similar to how Traxxas names their trucks, but even if you argue that it's just pronounced "Max" you suddenly have HW coming after you. It's just through and through stupid. You can call it victim blaming, but i'm very convinced they knew why they called it that, but potentially didn't expect either company to spend the resources to come after a tiny company like that. The gamble didn't pay off. 

Closing, i wanna say that i do think Traxxas does a lot of despicable things, including phoney lawsuits. Just that this particular one isn't one of them.

• Like 1