• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Blackfoot ??

Lone-wolf

I am sort of thinking about getting a new blackfoot , is there anything bad about them, i seem to hear the stock shocks need upgrading, is the stock steering good or bad, what should i know about this model before making a decision?

They're based on a really old chassis and there are issues with the gearbox being forced open under load - the diff spreads the side plates apart, as they're made of stamped tin

If you're considering anything more than the stock motor you might have problems.

I made some reinforcing plates years ago, which solved the problem but Tamiya's re-release still has the exact same issue.

Unless you're sold on the hard body and the whole retro thing, I'd spend my money on something modern - For £179 you could get a Traxxas Rustler or a Stampede for another £20

2 hours ago, TWINSET said:

They're based on a really old chassis and there are issues with the gearbox being forced open under load - the diff spreads the side plates apart, as they're made of stamped tin

If you're considering anything more than the stock motor you might have problems.

I made some reinforcing plates years ago, which solved the problem but Tamiya's re-release still has the exact same issue.

Unless you're sold on the hard body and the whole retro thing, I'd spend my money on something modern - For £179 you could get a Traxxas Rustler or a Stampede for another £20

Great reply, this is the kind of thing i wanted, if its bad its bad, maybe i will go for the traxxas bigfoot instead

• 4 months later...
29 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Black is good and saves killing the wife with paint fumes   (asthma)

from a earlier post   the black foot 2 has a totally different gearbox.  you can tell as one is all black plastic  but the early rubbish one has silver alloy sides.  As for running one the 2 was good out the box.  but if you over power it things might get damaged.  also stated above  you might want to go for the traxxas  it can handle a bit more damage at faster speeds.   If it was me i would go for the BF  (slower but handling to me was more natural)

tamiya also did the BF 3  but it used a totally different chassis .  but i never owned that chassis so cannot tell you anything about it.

Edited by turok007
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, turok007 said:

from a earlier post   the black foot 2 has a totally different gearbox.  you can tell as one is all black plastic  but the early rubbish one has silver alloy sides.  As for running one the 2 was good out the box.  but if you over power it things might get damaged.  also stated above  you might want to go for the traxxas  it can handle a bit more damage at faster speeds.   If it was me i would go for the BF  (slower but handling to me was more natural)

tamiya also did the BF 3  but it used a totally different chassis .  but i never owned that chassis so cannot tell you anything about it.

I have to say i am very tempted with this, its the 2016 BF all i would need is the servo to get it done and running

9 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I have to say i am very tempted with this, its the 2016 BF all i would need is the servo to get it done and running

the 2016 comes with the older gearbox  you can buy a fix for it  or even a totally different diff    or even fit a later gearbox  but that is extra cash.  hear is one fix   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Gearbox-Upgrade-Monster-Beetle-Frog-Mud-Blaster-Blackfoot-ORV/184514080973?hash=item2af5e570cd:g:dP4AAOSwq0Ve-NTv

4 minutes ago, turok007 said:

the 2016 comes with the older gearbox  you can buy a fix for it  or even a totally different diff    or even fit a later gearbox  but that is extra cash.  hear is one fix   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Gearbox-Upgrade-Monster-Beetle-Frog-Mud-Blaster-Blackfoot-ORV/184514080973?hash=item2af5e570cd:g:dP4AAOSwq0Ve-NTv

turok you seem very wise about this model, is the stock gearbox really that bad, i would not be overpowering the rig

11 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

turok you seem very wise about this model, is the stock gearbox really that bad, i would not be overpowering the rig

if it is stock then you should get a lot of life out of the diff.  it's just as it wears out the teeth start to slip also the alloy gearbox sides can open up from the pressure of the diff opening.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turok007 said:

if it is stock then you should get a lot of life out of the diff.  it's just as it wears out the teeth start to slip also the alloy gearbox sides can open up from the pressure of the diff opening.  

Nice, thanks for a great answer, very helful

• Like 1

decision done, order, well pre order placed, its due in to shop in  a week so maybe not long to wait, i am going into this eyes wide open, i know its not a perfect model, has a few little issues but for trailing around a woods, little jumps i think it should be just fine

• Like 1
  • Haha 1