• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone used SMD esc/motors ?

Mark_C

Has anyone used these ? Modelsport sell them so assume they can't be complete junk but can't find much about them. Obviously chinese, but what isn't these days

https://smddirect.co.uk/collections/smd-brushless-combos/products/jbr365039c-v2-brushless-combo-3900kv-60amp-esc

Any other suggestions for an inexpensive 3S combo ? Was thinking about Gool but seems the ESCs commonly have stuttering issues and saw a picture of one the other day that decided to set fire to itself, so not keen...

Going in an on-road car.

Thanks!

A little addition to this.

Turned the car on last night (just tinkering with the radio trims, etc) and noticed the ESC fan making a racket.  Sounded like the fan blades were catching on something, but there's nothing in there (and the car's only been run up and down the road twice this week since I installed it!).

It then stopped completely.  I gave it a little prod to see if it was jammed - which it wasn't, and started spinning/clacking round a few times again, then stopped.

Contacted SMD last night as the thing is less than a week old and has had probably 20 mins tops run time.

Had another look this morning in the sunlight, and one of the fan blades has partially torn away from the centre of the fan, and the tip has been catching the fan guard on the top, and gradually tearing it more.  I've managed to tweak it down, but doubt it'll stay put for very long.

Edited by Russ528

• 2 years later...
32 minutes ago, Rien232 said:

What about the speed on these things any good? Just looking for a brushless esc and motor under 100 wondering if these will be any good for a TT01e

Guessing youre looking at this?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/smd-brushless-combo-45a-esc-with-3500kv-sensorless-motor-442259

Ive no experience with SMD, but those specs etc look fine for a TT01. 

Id go for this though

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-4000kv-brushless-motor-420923

do you have a bearing kit for your TT01?

1 minute ago, Rien232 said:

On 22/01/2023 at 14:33, Kpowell911 said:

Guessing youre looking at this?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/smd-brushless-combo-45a-esc-with-3500kv-sensorless-motor-442259

Ive no experience with SMD, but those specs etc look fine for a TT01. 

Id go for this though

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-4000kv-brushless-motor-420923

do you have a bearing kit for your TT01?

Have you used the hobby wing system

16 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

You will need to solder a battery connector on, but modelsport give you the option for them to do it for you. It depends what battery connector you have. Yes Ive used probably 30 Hobbywing systems over the years

I have a deans me so all I have to do is select deans connector on model sport?

38 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Yea, then install it, and program it. You may need to look at changing the gearing, but Im not sure what pinion youd need in a TT01

The gearing is 19t pinion and 61t spur

im getting a steel pinion form Tamiya will it fit on shaft?

6 minutes ago, Rien232 said:

The gearing is 19t pinion and 61t spur

im getting a steel pinion form Tamiya will it fit on shaft?

Youll just need to check what gear ratio you need for a brushless system as it may be different to brushed. It should be same motor shaft diameter as it says ‘standard 1/10th’

5 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Youll just need to check what gear ratio you need for a brushless system as it may be different to brushed. It should be same motor shaft diameter as it says ‘standard 1/10th’

Do u think the tt01 with bearings oil shocks and metal shaft could handle the hobby wing motor 

6 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

When I buy it I’ll check motor temps if to high I will lower the gearing pinion

• Like 1

You dont need to post so many times. Bearings and metal shafts are what Id advise for a brushless TT01. Ive had several brushless TT01/2s over the years yes. 

rwnEOP2.jpg

I am also a big fan of Hobbywing stuff

n1pBeNZ.jpg

I also recently build a budget build Cosworth

4jUr4ps.jpeg

Uf92Ua1.jpeg

thRM0NV.jpeg

Edited by Kpowell911