• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ESC & Motor Question.

SamBird3

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get my Son into the Hobby, he is 14yrs old and spends his life on the PS4 lol.

Want to get him out and in the fresh air, and when lockdown is lifted get him over a track.

I have a Brushless Buggy that I have been letting him use but its too powerful for him and my Nitro is a bit complicated for him to start off with as he can't get to grips with starting it, let alone the tuning side 

I have a rolling Chassis for another buggy that I could build him a new car from.

I would make it Brushless for now, so my question would be, if I put an ESC and motor COMBO designed for a 1/10 model into a 1/8 Buggy, would that give him a slower buggy to start with, or would this just kill the ESC?

I would suggest that it would probably be better for you to keep it 1/8 electronics as you'll probably be over working the 1/10 stuff and lead to more failures, even if not straight away
Also just thinking about compatibility with your current batteries etc, plus the longevity in terms of when he gets used to it and wants to speed up you would then need to porches the 1/8 electronics
Think it's been discussed in a few threads by others who've had the same sort of start out dilemma and generally the consensus seems to be you could use throttle endpoints depending on your transmitter, or you could even do something like foam under the trigger for example to minimise the range of movement to manually limit the speed
Fingers crossed you can get him hooked [emoji16]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If the current buggy you are using is too fast, just turn the throttle down a bit.

I would suggest if your current buggy is already too fast, then a 1:8th scale definitely will be.

And always put 8th scale electrics in 8th scale chassis, anything less will just stress everything out and it will probably end in premature failure.

The only component listed as 10th scale I'd put in 8th scale would be a HobbyWing Max10 (limited to 4s) paired with an 8th scale motor... But for the price difference, the Max8 is better suited.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Relativenewbyseb said:

I would suggest that it would probably be better for you to keep it 1/8 electronics as you'll probably be over working the 1/10 stuff and lead to more failures, even if not straight away
Also just thinking about compatibility with your current batteries etc, plus the longevity in terms of when he gets used to it and wants to speed up you would then need to porches the 1/8 electronics
Think it's been discussed in a few threads by others who've had the same sort of start out dilemma and generally the consensus seems to be you could use throttle endpoints depending on your transmitter, or you could even do something like foam under the trigger for example to minimise the range of movement to manually limit the speed
Fingers crossed you can get him hooked emoji16.png

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Brilliant, thank you, Yes, fingers crossed he likes it as i then have a perfect excuse to go to the track and the Mrs can't say anything as i will blame my Son lol.

I didn't even think about end points, that's a great shout. it would be cheaper to buy a better Transmitter with End Point adjustments etc. than getting a new ESC and Motor set up.

5 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

If the current buggy you are using is too fast, just turn the throttle down a bit.

I would suggest if your current buggy is already too fast, then a 1:8th scale definitely will be.

And always put 8th scale electrics in 8th scale chassis, anything less will just stress everything out and it will probably end in premature failure.

The only component listed as 10th scale I'd put in 8th scale would be a HobbyWing Max10 (limited to 4s) paired with an 8th scale motor... But for the price difference, the Max8 is better suited.

Nice one, thank you. It currently has the Max8 Combo in it, so i think i will just tone it down with a decent Transmitter and that way i can keep the Rolling chassis as spares as its the same Buggy.

3 minutes ago, SamBird3 said:

Nice one, thank you. It currently has the Max8 Combo in it, so i think i will just tone it down with a decent Transmitter and that way i can keep the Rolling chassis as spares as its the same Buggy.

It's the EPA setting, even very basic radios have this function.

• Like 1

Just now, Oh How Original said:

It's the EPA setting, even very basic radios have this function.

I'll have a look as the controller i have given him is about 15 years old and is proper basic, i've not really looked at it to be honest.

On 31/05/2020 at 09:35, Oh How Original said:

Make sure it’s the Max 10 sct (120a) if you or anyone went this route. The standard Max 10 esc wouldn’t be adequate as it has a much lower amp rating.

• Like 1

Best in what way? There is a big cost difference between them. If they were similarly priced then sure but they’re not.

Either a Max10 sct will be fine in which case go for that and save your money, or, it won’t be in which case get the Max 8.

Many people here have attested to using the Max 10 sct on 1/8 buggys with no issue so I don’t understand the need to go Max 8.

Edited by Nickarla