• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stimpys C?? Toyzuki POWAH Wagon

Hello mate, 

So the MM seems plenty in there and running a 2200kv is perfect. No heat issues..

The drag is a bit of a drag 😂 I don’t seem to be able to get enough from any ESC I’ve ever tried.... But then I am literally heading down cliff faces so not sure if I’m asking too much... 

I will have a look at the programming laterer.... 

As to the Capra, you may have seen my build  - currently running a Tekin FXR - and that doesn’t give enough drag but by all accounts they never did so folks used to run a small amount of rear trim.... 

I have a BRXL on the way which supposedly has the Holmes Hold on! So I will try that next in the Capra... What I really wanted to run was a BR mini but there were some concerns it may not be man enough... I have had a reply from HH now saying it should be ok with my set up.... 

Another contributing factor to drag on the brushed motor  side of things is that I run 5 slots which don’t give the same drag torque as a 3 slot.... 

• Like 1

As you know, I really like the beaten look on a scaler, it adds depth and just makes it so much more interesting to look at, and really allows you to get creative. But I don’t think that look works as well with a shiny paint job, but that’s just my opinion. But let’s face it, what the hell do I know! Haha

I have a BRXL in my 10.2 (soon to be rehoused into my 4-10) and the drag brake is like throwing a boat anchor out the back. A large boat anchor. I reckon it’d stop a 1:1 truck! 😂 

So, I love this truck...it really is a ‘lil cracker and looks mega on the rocks 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks Andy.

Yeah I could never have pro paint on anything, I just drive them all too hard! ( And don’t always get it right!)... 

It was just that I’m not a red fan so that’s why it was changing and I’d really fallen for a khaki green I’d seen... . But the signage and them wipers Hell horn had done on it has really grown on me. The splodge and graffiti on the roof were just tests to see how those paints worked and were gonna get rubbed back!! 

• Haha 1

@stimpy lol, I had assumed that the graffiti on the roof was someone famous (in RC) signature, like getting the world champ to sign your truck body DUH!!!!

• Haha 2

Hello mate, 

So the MM seems plenty in there and running a 2200kv is perfect. No heat issues..

The drag is a bit of a drag [emoji23] I don’t seem to be able to get enough from any ESC I’ve ever tried.... But then I am literally heading down cliff faces so not sure if I’m asking too much... 

I will have a look at the programming laterer.... 

As to the Capra, you may have seen my build  - currently running a Tekin FXR - and that doesn’t give enough drag but by all accounts they never did so folks used to run a small amount of rear trim.... 

I have a BRXL on the way which supposedly has the Holmes Hold on! So I will try that next in the Capra... What I really wanted to run was a BR mini but there were some concerns it may not be man enough... I have had a reply from HH now saying it should be ok with my set up.... 

Another contributing factor to drag on the brushed motor  side of things is that I run 5 slots which don’t give the same drag torque as a 3 slot.... 
Cheers stimpy.
Think JRH has something in testing on his ESCs unless he's released it already. He mentions it during his Capra test on the tube.
Thanks for the MM confirmation, keen on this just for the aux ability and I reckon could suit both a crawl and a blast.
Need to read up on your Capra thread now!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Cheers stimpy.
Think JRH has something in testing on his ESCs unless he's released it already. He mentions it during his Capra test on the tube.
Thanks for the MM confirmation, keen on this just for the aux ability and I reckon could suit both a crawl and a blast.
Need to read up on your Capra thread now!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hello mate....

So the Holmes ESC have had the ‘Holmes hold’ on for some time but I have never actually tried one to comment - though the yanks reckon it works 👍.

The MM by all accounts is completely reliable ( with the right pinion) for up to 2200kv. I have heard of folks running a 2700kv but it is not generally recommended....  And yes, the Aux is what most folk like else you could run a sidewinder - but for similar money and similar weight most folk will pick the micro X. 

By all means have a look at the Capra thread - the poor thing has been on the bench now for 3 weeks with some upgrades due.... Should have some other bits fly in this week hopefully so may get on it next week!.... 

(Oh, and if you are looking for OD gears for the Capra let me know)

Any questions just let me know 👍

Take it to the Top!!!!.....

Just for giggles and whilst doing some tuning thought I’d try the Zook on the ramp....

Remember kids; it’s not all about the ups!! 😂

This was the first attempt - 60 degrees and she walked up..

spacer.png

Bit of torque twist sadly but still easy on 3 tyres!

spacer.png

As per usual I forgot to take pics later on in this process ! But by reversing the rear tyres and setting more preload to the rear shocks I managed to see 63 degrees... That is with crawling, if I used more throttle I could get more but my ramp bounces too much!! 

I could get more again on the ramp by tuning but the ramp is such a small part of what a crawler needs and that tuning would kill other attributes! With this set up cruising down the ramp now and just riding the drag with no throttle it’d do no more than 58.5 degrees!! With throttle use To balance the rear I’d see waaaay more so not a problem... 

The tyres themselves could still do with being softer / more compliant I feel but again I’ll leave that for now. 

I did also swap out my front springs to a firmer option - I now have the same rate front and rear - The Losi T medium brown/ red spring.... Will test this out when I get a mo...

Lastly, I made some esc adjustments. Tried to increase my drag brake but couldn’t get any more. Also had a play with throttle curves but didn’t like the usual 70/30 option many use as I do like a fast / fine throttle, tried a 50/30 next and was definitely better but I may flat it out a bit more to be honest.... 

Keep on RCing!!! 🤓

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

Go team mountain goat! A proper bit of crawler p@rn, if ever there was such a thing 😍

lE27ebW.jpg&xguid=4c244b4e72a26914ad8593

All it needs to do is take a look back over its shoulder....

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

We’re gonna be so disappointed if we find this spot is actually flat and @stimpy is just a genius with photoshop 🤣

Or his camera tripod just has a 90% angle permanently set lol 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, stimpy said:

I’m actually permanently horizontal!! 🤓😂🙀

So I’ll put You both down for the ‘easy’ lines right!?? 

👍👍👍

Yeah, the nursery slopes for us  mate 😆

• Haha 1

On 02/06/2020 at 11:58, stimpy said:

Hello mate....

So the Holmes ESC have had the ‘Holmes hold’ on for some time but I have never actually tried one to comment - though the yanks reckon it works 👍.

The MM by all accounts is completely reliable ( with the right pinion) for up to 2200kv. I have heard of folks running a 2700kv but it is not generally recommended....  And yes, the Aux is what most folk like else you could run a sidewinder - but for similar money and similar weight most folk will pick the micro X. 

By all means have a look at the Capra thread - the poor thing has been on the bench now for 3 weeks with some upgrades due.... Should have some other bits fly in this week hopefully so may get on it next week!.... 

(Oh, and if you are looking for OD gears for the Capra let me know)

Any questions just let me know 👍

In this vid JRH mentions he's working on new active drag for the BRXL: ('bout 4 minutes in). That was October 2019 though so may have shipped but it's not mentioned on his site right now so a bit unclear!

What OD gears you got - portal end or diff? I was looking at the TGH Mild OD gear set (24% OD) from supershafty but am going to test the rig first off to see if I really need/want it.

• 4 months later...

Update day!!! 

Been a long old time!.. 

So managed to get out in the woods with Andy one day and found some cool logs 😎

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can’t see from the angle of the shot but there was a large rotted knuckle hole here. So I would drive along then drop me arris down and crab walk along the side of the log to get passed it. Was excellent fun! And despite me not being happy with these tyres, they performed excellently on logs!

Does my bum look big in this??? 😂🙀 ( looks big in everything darling..) 

spacer.png

It had to go!

spacer.png

Much better 👍

I still wasn’t happy with the ascending performance so had a chat with my suspension guru buddy and he gave me some pointers... 

spacer.png

This was when I really learnt a lot about links... So this was moved up to the top nearest position and I extended my rear upper links... 

Wowzers what a difference! I could now stand it pretty much upright without flipping and this really dug the front in more. I will say that i did lose a bit of ninja jump capability, but nothing I can’t live with for this trade.

spacer.png

I also moved my front upper in some and modded the links. This also helped when the front was dropping out. 

Next up was sexy new wheel time ! And I also swapped this rig out to Hyrax Predators with some modded proline dualstage foams..

spacer.png

spacer.png

🥰🥰😎

These made another significant difference and even my PL foam recipe seemed to work out OK ( more playing on that in the future).

Had a day our with Andy and Carl a few months back and got a bit mucky 🙀

spacer.png

sadly as the day went through I started getting issues with my steering.... Then all of a sudden there’s smoke pouring out of my rig.... 

spacer.png

I’d smoked a 7950.... !????? 

So got home and sent it off and got a replacement sent out pretty quick via RCModelz... 

In the meantime I thought I may aswell Rudy the electrics as some of it was doing my head in and I knew there was weight to come out easy!

spacer.png

Not bad for an easy job!... 

The truck also got renamed...

spacer.png

😂😂😂 

Once the servo returned I fired it up..... Auiye literally sadly.... 

No pics but as soon as I’d turn it on everything would get super hot - luckily I had my hand near and pulled the battery ASAP! It was roasting - literally burnt my hand.... 

Hmpf... Dodgy had let me down again..... 🤬

I was very lucky indeed to have not burnt my garage down or hurt myself so I guess that was good!.. I was also lucky in that Carl C came to my aid and brought up some other brushless system and we tested different components  in a logical order..... 

Turns out the MMX was fried 🤬🦇.... I can only assume that when the servo went down it took the ESC with it but is not tested anything else.... 

I did also take my puller pro stubby apart just to see if there were any issues there but that was as clean as a whistle thank god!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ao in the meantime whilst I waited for another MMX I looked at my Ventru comp crawler mid build.... And robbed the puller crawl 400 and br mini set up!!! 😂👍

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not bad for a fallback system!! And wowzers is this a great combo! So raw , loved it!... 

spacer.png

2364g now with battery. And still probably an easy 30g I could take off. This is also with my new wheels which were a good bit heavier than my previous but much shexier!! 😂

Ran that for a while when I could then another month passed...

Is that a tortured ghost I hear????

spacer.png

I had always planned to try a revolver motor and when Holmes released the V2 snubnose ( a stubby version) that was it... It’s tiny and by all accounts should pack a significant punch 🤜!! 

I went with the 1800kv, which for info came in at 73g!!! 🙀😜

spacer.png

142g with no trimming at all! Just look at the size of them connectors! I could lose another million grams just by cutting them off!..

Apparently theres a motor in there somewhere:

spacer.png

This was just a quick lash up but my god they are tiny... 

First drive impressions were very positive. This tiny package really could pack a punch.. Sure it’s not as raw as the puller 400 nor as full bodied as the puller pro but it is super torquey and offers quite a ninja jump 👍

The real test came when I had a day up in Derby at the end of the summer on Black Rocks. And it really didn’t disappoint!

spacer.png

As usual I was too busy having fun for pics but I believe there many taken by others and posted on the MRCC Facebook site. 

I was now smitten with this little revolver - incredible for its size and weight and a perfect partner for a relatively light LCG rig 👍

As for the noise... I actually really liked it 😎🥰

For note If I remember correctly I did have to drop a pinion to get the low resolution how I wanted it. They can suffer a little bit from start up if not controlled and programmed properly but mine is now spot on 👍

There are also other Esc’s coming onto the market shortly that will address both the low down start up and stop the noise. They are reputed to be better all round also - we shall see!

But for now... That’s all folks!!!

Keep on RCing!! 

• Like 3

Wowzers Rock Guru, that was months ago on that log...and  in that wet, smokey quarry... time does fly by when yer having fun though. 

Glad your cat like reactions saved your good self and the man cave from a fiery end!

You’ve got that Zuki so light now it might blow away on a windy day! Gutted I could make it to Derby..looks like a good spot. Maybe next time 🤞

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

Wowzers Rock Guru, that was months ago on that log...and  in that wet, smokey quarry... time does fly by when yer having fun though. 

Glad your cat like reactions saved your good self and the man cave from a fiery end!

You’ve got that Zuki so light now it might blow away on a windy day! Gutted I could make it to Derby..looks like a good spot. Maybe next time 🤞

Yeah, Black Rocks was incredible. That was a very small part of it there. At that stage I was trying to run the MOA gates with the Zuki! All but one eluded me, though some didn't half take some attaempts - but very impressed none the less 👍

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Jimboi said:

I've wondered where you've been. Hope you're well! 

Thanks man, just been horribly flat out and life proving a little tricky so been on other projects....  Nice to be back and catching ups a bit mind 😊

Must check all my threads are up to date some time.... Looked over my LC70 C2 rig build thread the other night and made me smile... Hopefully get back on it a bit 👍

• Like 1