• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stimpys C?? Toyzuki POWAH Wagon

Here we are again... I have no idea where the time goes!!! 

So this one also started around 2 to 3 years ago and pics are on another ‘pooter’ so I’ll do me best off what I got ‘ere🤪..... 

Bottom line I just completely fell for a chassis made over in the states.... I’d seen his V1 model and that was nice but when the V2 came out that was it...... 

So after some Messaging ( and translating between American and English!) I got me a Toyzuki V2 chassis ordered 🙀🤗.... 

The official word!:

The V2 chassis kit is for the Axial scx10.2 with the new 5 gear transmission.  The Toyzuki version 2 moves the motor closer to the frame than the old version 1 to free up some driveline clearance for the new high pinion AR44 axles.

The motor mount houses the first 2 gears of the 5 gear transmission and the transfer case houses the 3 from the stock transfer case. This configuration can be run as an overdrive for the front, or you can swap the driveshaft to the other output if you prefer to run a matching ratio. Also, with the smaller gear sets, the entire case fits below the chassis rails for an easier interior install.

In Layman’s terms , she’s just a super sweet sexy as hell low Centre Of Gravity Chassis!! 😂🥰

He now has a website if you want to bankrupt yourself 🙈:

https://www.toyzuki.com/

I had purchased an scx10ii kit to rob the parts off but by the time it turned up I’d also accidentally ordered up some different axles! Man maths had convinced me this was the right path as I had an old scx 3 gear tranny kicking about which would then complete the scx10ii kit and the boy could use that then 👍

Here’s a side view... Mmmmm

spacer.png

And this is what it builds to!!

spacer.png

Ignore the scales as they were wrong 🙈

Here’s the gearbox - that I took apart recently to change a shaft I’d made that wasn’t perfect!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And them in the know have just seen the motor!

Have never tried brushless on a crawler but fancied it and John at Holmes Hobbies convinced me this would be the right one.... Puller Pro Stubby 2200kv which I will later mate to a Mamba Micro Mini.....  All this was with low weight in mind.... 

For this build I decided to use the SSD AR44 Diamonds including their weighted front hub. These really are excellent quality axles. I went with a plastic diff case but metal tubes... 

Again, the scales lie! But these sure  are luv - erly axles! 

spacer.png

Links and such like are essentially SCX10 ii but tweaked.... 

Here she is taking shape! This time I believe the scales are correct... 

spacer.png

Next was to decide on a body...... 

“Slim Fit Sir!??”

The original idea was that this would be a C2 truck with a cut to hell hard body but light chassis then balance that with weighted hubs etc..... But then I’d decided on another leafer for my C2 ( see the LC70 build!)..... Which kinda left this as a C3 by default..... 

With a hard body I’d get some useful points, then match that to some narrow ish axles and add some scale tatt and hey presto she’d be ahead before starting.... Obviously at the detriment to side hill balance and such like but something I reckoned I could get over fine.... 

And don’t forget folks.... Hard bodies just look UBER COOL!!! 😎😎🤗😎

Heres the LC70 mocking up with some almost comically large 2.2s :

spacer.png

Only issue is it was Uber long and pretty wide and again front steering clearance at the ride height I wanted was tricky..... 

Certainly looked cool as a cab mind 🥰

spacer.png

Ch - Ch - Checkout that front wheel clearance to body!! 

This was the other consideration:

spacer.png

A pinched front Yota Cab...

At this stage I just couldn’t make me mind up!....

Luckily  at that stage a brief interlude of 2 or 3 years occurred!!! (Imagine some proper lounge lizard music...  😂)

T. B. Continued...... 

Edited by stimpy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mate, that is one sexy looking beast right there!  I love the chassis, the motor and that body...oh boy that body is soooo absolutely spot on right! Already well  ‘jell’ at this point 😍

GSpeed makes a CNC’d carbon chassis that’s along the same lines - it gets me all hot under the collar thinking about using one for a lightweight, low CG build...but that‘s all it is right now...just another dream build living in my head 🤔

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, sir 😃

• Haha 1

Thanks chaps..

Yeah a buddy of mine has just ordered the Gspeed last week.... He’d built up something on a VS chassis but it just wasn’t slinky enough for him.... He’s a comp crawler dood!... 

Cant work out if I prefer the Gspeed or the Game Changer 4.2 but yeah they both make me hot!!! 😂🤪

• Like 1

Just now, Badcrumble said:

Low production volume chassis from North America? My kinda truck!

I like it...

Thanks man!... It’s an incredible design, the chap has done a sterling job👍

He does now also have a dedicated C3 chassis and a higher OD tranny but I’ll hold off for now!! 🙈

https://www.toyzuki.com

• Like 1

Argh! You posted a link! Must resist! I get giddy when I look at things like this.

Instead, I must consider the 2x Tamiya CR-01 in the loft that need building...at least finish the JK first...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Argh! You posted a link! Must resist! I get giddy when I look at things like this.

Instead, I must consider the 2x Tamiya CR-01 in the loft that need building...at least finish the JK first...

Oooh 2 Cr-o1s... Which ones?.. I've hankered after the Mog for years... Nearly bought one a few months as HK had a mega sale but held back sadly..... I was considering using one as a C3 truck just for giggles and a challenge!!

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I’ve a Rock Socker and an FJ Cruiser. Picked them up quite cheaply and I like my Tamiya. The GCM is my first departure from the twin stars. 

The Rock Soccer still looks like the best value for money as that comes with the better barrel springs too👍. But my God I've wanted the mog version for some time!!

• Like 1

I’m pretty new to this so had been reading the rules thread yesterday. I wondered what ‘boat sides’ were - now I know! Does this make it C2?

They look great and I like the idea of swapping between lexan and the hard body.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andy-Roo said:

You sure know how to put a classy rig together! Those boat sides look sweeeeet 👌

Thanks man.... Yeah turning out good.... And yes I gotta say I dig the boats!!!! 

Have had the first run in it today - will try post the rest of the build malarkey so I can get some business pics out!! 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I’m pretty new to this so had been reading the rules thread yesterday. I wondered what ‘boat sides’ were - now I know! Does this make it C2?

They look great and I like the idea of swapping between lexan and the hard body.

Hey up Mr Crumble!.. 

So yes your thinking is correct!. In using boat sides this puts me in C2 or C3. Technically at the mo shes missing a front chassis mounted bumper to conform to C2 rules, all the rest complies 👍

In trying to get my build thread up in a rush it would seem I’ve missed a fair few points! One of which is that yes originally I was going to build it for C2 but then opted for a leafer for more of a challenge on me and because I was confident I could be competitive with it . Bare in mind I’ve only ever competed with LSTR and only 4 times iirc!... 

From my understanding , the Toyzuki would literally murder the UK C2 class!! Which just wouldn’t be fun so that shoves it over to C3 really.... But to be honest, again it’s too capable from my experience really so I think this may just be a performance scale crawler ( which is actually a class in the 2.2 / performance comps now)..... Or  just a play thing!!! 

If you have a look at some of the U.S C2 rock crawling stuff - that’s what it’s designed for really.... (I’ll try link a decent vid)

But we’ll see I guess.... But I think I’ll probably use the Capra for my C3..... Atleast it has a disadvantage in being wide 👍.... 

• Like 2

Electrify - fy - fy!!!!

Yeah you guessed it... Next I took a look at the electrics..... 

For clarity here’s my chosen components:

Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro Stubby 2200kv

Mamba Micro Mini Esc

Hitec 7950 - The Daddy!

CC BEC 

Sanwa teeny weeny Uber light RX

850 - 1300 ish mah 3S packs

My first idea was this:

spacer.png

It just worked so well and would keep the sliders clear, Electric’s looking neat and still space for a servo winch in the future.... 

However... When I started to look at the weight distribution it was just gonna be better with all the jazz on the sliders.... Took me a while to commit as the wiring just looked poop this way!! 💩💩

Something like this 🙈

spacer.png

Which would eventually get to this:

spacer.png

Still need to mount the on/off switch somewhere... 

Next was some programming!! NERD style!! 

spacer.png
spacer.png

🤓🤓🤓

Followed by a battery being zipped in place and a test run on the garage floor..... 

She Lives!!!! 🤗🙀

As it was waaaay past anyone’s bedtime I saved the virgin voyage to the outer world till the next day..... 

Now, some of you may have noticed a poop top shaft in some of my pics..... This was to be a temporary thing until I had some more stock of my fave driveshafts.... Let’s be clear.... I knew it wouldn’t last forever.... But literally a few minutes in and without any binding whatsoever it started twisting out 🙈😂🤬🙀

spacer.png

So I duly gave it some beans!!! 😈👻☠️

spacer.png

Uh oh!!!! 

Hey ho... complete poop!! 💩

T.B.Continued!!!!

• Like 1

HH Puller Pro - 1 

Plastic drive shaft - 0   

Ive been wondering if I could get away with using the stock 10.2 drive shafts on my

4-10 build....I’m wondering no more! 😂

In the photo, that broken link looks like cast alloy, definitely doesn’t look like Ti. 
Cant wait to hear how it handles the rocks 👍

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

HH Puller Pro - 1 

Plastic drive shaft - 0   

Ive been wondering if I could get away with using the stock 10.2 drive shafts on my

4-10 build....I’m wondering no more! 😂

In the photo, that broken link looks like cast alloy, definitely doesn’t look like Ti. 
Cant wait to hear how it handles the rocks 👍

Moaning!! 

Yeah the links are poop!... The driveshaft in question was actually an RC4WD unit that came with my TF. I have a buddy who uses Axial WB shafts on all his trucks with no issue so you should be ok mate. 

I just love the strength and clearance of the SDi shafts... You can also remake the shaft from real Ti and save some more weight... I’ll be doing that on my shafty..... 

• Like 1

Testing Testing 1-2-3...... 

So did I make it to the quarry!?..... I know you’ve all no doubt been sleepless all night in anticipation!!! 😂😂🙈

Yes I did!!! 

And how did it drive? Well, you know me... Always room for improvement and more tuning needed....

But...... It drove great!! 👍 Pulled some lines many other trucks can’t ... 

And a few pics 🤗

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Naturally none of them really show the inclination very well!

spacer.png

spacer.png
This is probably my fave shot. I’ve just managed to scrabble along on the side hill ledge 🤗

Normally for that move I come down to the corner , hang the tail down the hill then crab walk across this section but with the Zook I managed to drive it 👍. Managed that once with the Capra.... 

All in all I had a great time - certainly a very skilled tool but also a real challenge to drive in that the suspension is very fast reacting indeed so you need to be on your toes!!... 

And was I always on my toes? Not a chance!! But as I stood there staring at it last night in the garage I had a smug smirk thinking of the damage some of my rolls would have caused to a hardbody... 🙀🙀

Oh, but then I had a proper look and the smirk had gone!

spacer.png

I had cracked the shell 🙈😂

spacer.png

Should buff out nice that.... ( If I was to bother!! 😂)

Ah wells... I’ll get the body fixed and then go give it the full Valhalla again!!! 😂

Until next time!!..... Keep on RCing!!! 

Edit: Oh, I completely forgot to say; I ab - so - lutely love the brushless stubby motor!!! ❤️❤️❤️ It has sooo much low down torque, sooo much low down control, and sooo much punch when you need it!! I LOVE IT!! ❤️🥰

Edited by stimpy
  • Like 2

So what’s next!???

The drive confirmed she’s a real performer - for a scaler - ish anyway 👍. But there’s still a lot more to get out of it.... Some of this will just take driving time - for me and for components to bed in... But here’s roughly what I’m thinking:

1. Make some new lower front links!! I know I know, I won’t look as cool without mismatched links!

2. Make some higher clearance rear lower links - this May then require new uppers for clearance 🙈

3. Drag brake- the actual drag hold again is not enough - seems to be a common thing - though that does make it drive more like a real truck with a clutch which I quite like as you need to keep permanently adjust my throttle. It also cuts in a bit harshly... I shall try adjusting this on the program...

4. Tyres - I can’t help but think there’s much more to be got out of these buggers! But I’ll keep driving them for now and see how they wear in..

5. Body - So originally I was gonna try get the inner red off , spray silver instead then paint it a khaki green on the outside with some layers under... Now thinking about it I don’t think I’ll bother as ; a) it’ll be scratched to hell in no time, and b) I really like how it looks now.... So I may just mess it up a bit more and do a few more random splodges!!

6. Change out some of the green anodised ali bits that got it built and generally tidy up....

7. Balance - does seem a bit nose heavy and a little tippy on edge. I’ll drive it for now else I may slow the suspension down a bit and possibly give a bit more travel to the rear again!!... 

I think that’s it for now.... Haha... 

Let me know your thoughts folks re the body..... 

I do also still have a rear bed but I’m starting to think this one may just remain with a lexan shell and as a performance play thing..... 🙀🤗🥰

Thanks for looking!... 

• Like 1

I replied to the wrong topic, should've done it here!!!! Hey-ho, you've answered the "tweak" question I put soewhere else:)

How's the Mamba Micro in that rig though - man enough for the job? how were the temps? you mention drag brake not great - motor not best suitable or just need to to tweak the ESC?

Asking as I think that will go in my Capra when I get it....

• Haha 1