• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hellhorn herja chassis development journey

Hell horn.

Once the case if off. Not water proff at all. 

Unfortunately it was bad timing as I had only plugged the lipo in a split second before he sprayed me. I have a back up esc to use for now 

Traxxas 2660 shocks.  A right pain. After 4  rebleeds they are finally right.

Brand new rebuild kit.  Brand new shafts and body's. Using 150cst oil.    They felt crap.    So took them apart again.  Rebuilt them again and felt a bit better.  Did it again and now they feel nice. No rebound with out springs on. 

Next weeks job is order 4.5mm titanium rod.  Cut to length and get my friend to cut the m4 thread on them for me. Decided why not make them myself. 

Both sets of shocks set up.   Super soft.  85 and 90mm long.   Spacers in them to keep piston in oil all the time. 

Might drop the old  2662 body's in my lathe and see if I can mod a body with it. If it works well. I will do the 2660 ones too. Why not. 

IMG_20210518_203846.jpg

IMG_20210518_204310.jpg

• Like 2

Bit of messing around with the battery mount. Got it sitting lower. Esc behind servo. And rx on chassis out of the way for now.   Shocks feel really nice now.   Going to order some titanium rods on Friday. See if I can make a set of links up for this 

IMG_20210519_210201.jpg

• Like 3

Always tweaking man! Getting better all the time - though you need to get out and drive the bugger when possible!!

Re the links, that's how I did some of mine though I managed to cut the thread on also with some old dies - did have to take it proper steady and only cut probably half a thread at a time.zzzzzzzz.....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been playing with it again.... Few aluminium bolts. Going to order some more in blue and purple to mix them up in the wheels. Might get the chance to test it soon.  Fingers crossed 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Car is back together now. All links made up. Went with m3 rod and 3x5 tube for now. Keep the cost down. Droped a 1060 esc in. Not ideal. But it's cheap. Now I need to get the bloody thing on some rocks.lol.

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...

Massive update on this one.

A while ago I decided to get in gear and do some work on it. 

Started with getting my head around making titanium links. Few attempts later and I worked out how to do it successfully. So 4mm lower links and 3mm upper.   One job down. 

Next up. Work on the 3d design for the final version of the chassis.  Spent a few months taking my time to work everything out.  Found a guy who could help me get it finished. So decided to design some wheels too. As. Well  why not.  A ton of talking about what I wanted. And many adjustments to the chassis and wheels. Finished. 

Next step was to get the money together to get the first set made. So a few weeks ago. A package arrived for me.  Ripped into that as fast as I could. Stunning work. And amazing to see my design in the flesh. So put it together.  And sat and looked at it for a while. 

Car is now up and ready to test. Unfortunately that's when covid hit my household. O 3 weeks of feeling utterly worn out. Fingers crossed I can get out this weekend with it and test it in some rocks 

Next step is work out the few issues I can see with it. And get the updated version made. And make a second set for someone to help me test it. And see how it handles. Then it's one of 2 options. 

1. It  works out well and with a few adjustments it's worth it to keep pushing with it.

2.  It's pants and I have the only one in the world. We will see what happens. 

Wheels came out fantastic. Look so nice.  

With some help we got the insert design to run them as beadlocks. Next step is to make a center part that will allow the use of some form of weight hangers. That's a work in progress currently. 

So next step done. On to the next challenge with the design of herja. The first product by hellhorn products. 

By the way.  Herja is a Norse name. It means to  devastate.    To be a champion. 

• Like 1

• Hell horn. changed the title to Hellhorn herja chassis development journey