• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Good base 1/10 offroader but ripe for upgrading

IPAMonster

All,

What would you all suggest for a good base RC car for <£200 which would give lots of opportunity for me to fritter away cash infinitely upgrading and tweaking things over time?

Has to be;

• an off-roader as it'll be primarily used on grass.
  • ready to run in it's initial guise
  • largely compatible with aftermarket mods

Thanks in advance

Ron

Traxxas rustler? I think the XL5 can be had sub £200

There's divided opinions on traxxas, but i've had a rustler, and i tell you what, you've got a world of upgrades about.

The design is as old as the hills mind, but it'll do you grass, and is RTR out of the box.

Thanks Drnose, Have started looking at Traxxas rustlers on eBay. Maybe start with some used bits since i'm considering upgrading it anyway.

Any other suggestions?

I assume you are looking for a basher not crawler type? What are your intended uses? 

As to bashers, the above suggestion is good, I’d add Arrma in the equation - try get your hands on one of their 3S BLX range.. 

Yes, Basher.. sorry, new to the lingo. Not a rock crawler.

We have a large garden with lots of grass and trees so it'd be good to be racing it around that.

Cool! As above, check out traxxas and Arrma... plenty more but they are certainly ripe for upgrading and more resilient to hard use than some!.. 

Personally I have an Arrma Granite 3S BLX amongst others. This is out of your price range if I’m honest but worth the jump if you can stretch to it. Will also ‘require’ far less or no upgrading dependant upon use. In that line if you want something with better handling but lesser landing resiliency then go for a Senton... 

Don’t  forget to factor in batteries and chargers. Get into Lipo batteries if you can - Hobbyking are great for that..