• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Granite 3s alternative

Diddy10

Hi all,

So after having my second order for a JLB 21101 extreme cancelled because of shipping problems from China , I am now thinking of buying a Granite 3S. 

Do people recommend this, or is there an alternative? I already have 3s batteries and charger etc and my budget is around £300.

oh it needs to be monster/truggy style.  General use at local bmx track.  

Thanks 

I have an Arrma Granite 4X4 3S BLX and have been pretty happy with it overall. The only issues I have experienced are breaking two wheelie bars (remedied by using a Rustler 4x4 wheelie bar instead) and the shocks leaking their oil. I have tried various fixes on the shocks but ended up just replacing them. The rear of the body takes some damage as this is a wheelie machine. Some reinforcing with plasterboard joint tape and some shoe goo and it is tough now.

As for alternatives, there aren't many in your price bracket. The only other branded one I can think of is the Team Associated Rival MT10. There is an owners thread here:

Maybe give @Oh How Original a shout and see what he thinks of it.

Well I have the Senton 3s which is basically a SCT Granite, they share many parts and it is tough... Very tough.

I would say out of the Granite or the MT10, the Granite will most likely take harder abuse.

To me the MT10 also feels a bit better and a bit happier on 2s, so another vote for Granite, it's ever so slightly bigger and more stable on 3s.

Moving up a notch would be the Outcast 4s, which I also have and that's great too.

• Like 2

Not had my granite very long but I absolutely love it! It was a toss up between the granite or the big rock. Price of the granite swayed it for me. Only had it 2 months but have already replaced the steering servo, have heard about the shocks leaking so have got some on order. It’s great fun and takes a fair bit of abuse too. It’s survived my 3 year old crashing it head on into a tree at almost full tilt 

Edited by dabollicks

I have Senton and the boy has a granite both 3S
Both very fast. As said granite takes a pounding and carries on.
My boy’s spends plenty of time barrel rolling down paths and off road!!
His never breaks.
Yes the servos are rubbish and the esc’s can do wierd things.
Warranty is very good though.
And better-replacements are easy and free.
The shocks are rubbish.
That will cost you 25 quid to change.
The body of the granite takes a hammering unless you’re brilliant at jumping it from the start.
As it wants to backflip off everything it can take some getting used to.
As a result the rear end gets smashed to pieces.
The shock towers punch through the body after repeatedly landing on its back. Not the cars fault.
I fitted sponges on top of the shock towers to soften the blows.
Also reinforced with scrim tape and CT1.
Makes them more indestructible but it still gets destroyed.
Bodies are over 30 quid so be warned. We have destroyed 2 in 6 months.
Just broke a wheelie bar, but this has taken so much abuse it should have broken in the first week.
You need to buy and replace the pin ball sets for all linkages regularly as these are cheapo plastic and wear out very fast. Leaving everything loose and floppy.
Hot Racing make metal versions.
Lastly our granite is the one buggy that keeps making it back to the house in one piece.
The Senton, almost the same with same parts seems to be weaker and breaks more internal parts. Don’t know why but it’s always the granite that survives.

Bash, Break, Build, Repeat...

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/04/2020 at 13:05, monkeyboy_uk said:

I have an Arrma Granite 4X4 3S BLX and have been pretty happy with it overall. The only issues I have experienced are breaking two wheelie bars (remedied by using a Rustler 4x4 wheelie bar instead) and the shocks leaking their oil. I have tried various fixes on the shocks but ended up just replacing them. The rear of the body takes some damage as this is a wheelie machine. Some reinforcing with plasterboard joint tape and some shoe goo and it is tough now.

As for alternatives, there aren't many in your price bracket. The only other branded one I can think of is the Team Associated Rival MT10. There is an owners thread here:

Maybe give @Oh How Original a shout and see what he thinks of it.

On 22/04/2020 at 21:02, dabollicks said:

Not had my granite very long but I absolutely love it! It was a toss up between the granite or the big rock. Price of the granite swayed it for me. Only had it 2 months but have already replaced the steering servo, have heard about the shocks leaking so have got some on order. It’s great fun and takes a fair bit of abuse too. It’s survived my 3 year old crashing it head on into a tree at almost full tilt 

hi, can I ask where you guys have managed to order new shocks from?  I can’t seem to find them anywhere, just replacement parts, but can’t find any fully built shocks part number ar330550, my son has bent his front shock, and I am trying to buy a full unit, as I don’t fancy trying to build one from parts, thanks

Thanks, I was hoping to buy the full unit if possible, not really messed around with rc cars before, but if its not an option I'll go for it, what shocks are you using now? Are they an easy swap?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Bill1976 said:

hi, can I ask where you guys have managed to order new shocks from?  I can’t seem to find them anywhere, just replacement parts, but can’t find any fully built shocks part number ar330550, my son has bent his front shock, and I am trying to buy a full unit, as I don’t fancy trying to build one from parts, thanks

Hi Bill, I have a full new set of 3s shocks if you are interested, I just haven’t gotten around to listing them yet .

@Bill1976

Hi I’ve used these.

Now on our granite and Senton.

Took a punt as didn’t know what I was going to be buying.

Totally amazed!!

Senton is a different car.

Carved through turns. Hardly ever rolls over in full charge into a corner now.

You can watch the suspension working with the car leaning in to the corners.

So impressed.

How it should have been out the box tbf.

Can’t recommend enough. abdb67465aa51662f6b9272080ce70eb.jpg

I have a vid but it’s a pain to post here.

Only issue is the postage from the US.

Unless you have family or friends there.

I was in my way to NY in jan to see my bro so was a cheap option.

I have Arrma Typhon 6s shocks. Easy swap but not cheap or easy to find at the moment.

I read similar on the arrma forum, will keep my eyes open for some, thanks

Hi Bill, I have a full new set of 3s shocks if you are interested, I just haven’t gotten around to listing them yet .

Hi Steven, I ended up ordering the parts, the full units are not back in stock till late June, how much would you be after?

[mention=39446]Bill1976[/mention]
Hi I’ve used these.
Now on our granite and Senton.
Took a punt as didn’t know what I was going to be buying.
Totally amazed!!
Senton is a different car.
Carved through turns. Hardly ever rolls over in full charge into a corner now.
You can watch the suspension working with the car leaning in to the corners.
So impressed.
How it should have been out the box tbf.
Can’t recommend enough. abdb67465aa51662f6b9272080ce70eb.jpg
I have a vid but it’s a pain to post here.
Only issue is the postage from the US.
Unless you have family or friends there.
I was in my way to NY in jan to see my bro so was a cheap option.

They look like a good option, but like you say, postage. Is £20 plus, which is a bit excessive, I have 2 granites, ( well kids do) so would be buying double everything, seems to be added up a bit this hobby!

Thanks for the info guys

They look like a good option, but like you say, postage. Is £20 plus, which is a bit excessive, I have 2 granites, ( well kids do) so would be buying double everything, seems to be added up a bit this hobby!

Thanks for the info guys

Yes I have found it’s not cheap at all with broken parts , shocks, tyres ( dboots wear rate is ridiculous ) and new bodies it becomes very expensive.
Only thing I wouldn’t buy again is heir shocks as 5hey are so poor and leak like a siv within weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 18/05/2020 at 19:12, Stevenj76 said:

Hi do you still have the shocks for sale?? Mine started leaking, and then one of the shafts came out...

Can anybody point me in the direction of a link to purchase these replacement shocks that ship in the uk. Had the car for one month and already one of the shafts came out in a bump... it started to leak of the box as well...

Can anybody point me in the direction of a link to purchase these replacement shocks that ship in the uk. Had the car for one month and already one of the shafts came out in a bump... it started to leak of the box as well...

You can buy hot racing shock body replacements which do not leak.
They use the rest of the parts from the original shocks.
Decent ally bodies. Well made. Come with new O rings etc.

1 hour ago, Ollykamakazi said:

Are these the ones that come from USA?

did you have to pay for customs?

it will be quite expensive if so... do you know of a uk supplier?

Don't suppose you have a link to them do you?

Are these the ones that come from USA?
did you have to pay for customs?
it will be quite expensive if so... do you know of a uk supplier?

Snap.

Snap.

Probably won’t find them here as it’s an American firm.
Most sellers are stateside.
Post is a joke on these type of items as the weigh virtually nothing but ask 20;dollars.
I’d you have a friend in the states have them buy them and send on. My bro did mine for me.
Think I paid £6 to £7 post in the end much more realistic.
I felt it was worth it.
Tbh I sacked those and fitted more shocks from the states as I went there end of feb.
Set off eBay. Took a punt. At a good punt.
Totally transformed our Senton and granite. You can see the car using the shocks properly in every turn or braking faze.
Senton hardly ever rolls over in corners now.
Can carve arcs with power on no problems as suspension squats into corners allowing weight transfer instead of toppling mid corner.

• 2 months later...
Just received 2 sets of these shocks - if buying more than 1 postage isnt as bad, plus didnt get hit by the customs man when they arrived so that was nice for a change

T TT he metal versions I posted pics of?
Nice move. With 45 weight oil in themm you’ll be amazed how differently the car behaves.
Let us know your thoughts when you’ve tried them out.