• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SCX10 ii upgrades

Still have the stock AE5 esc & 35T motor. Looking into going brushless but there seems to be a mass amount of it out there. Some cheap looking rubbish & some over priced looking stuff too. So do any of you guys have any recommendations of esc & motor (540 or 550 also )

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro using Tapatalk

A good brushless system tends to cost an arm and a leg. Look at the Castle Mamba X paired with a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro or the Hobbywing AXE system. There aren't any cheap options that would work well on a crawler/trail truck.

Otherwise upgrade your ESC to a Hobbywing 1080. Still brushed but very configurable.

I've thought about going brushless a few times but then I just buy a 1080 instead.

Edited by monkeyboy_uk

It really depends on what kind of driving you’re doing - if you’re into going slow a good brushed setup is all you need. 

But if you want to go fast you’d be  better off going brushless; HH v2 puller pro & a Mamba x would be my choice, albeit an expensive one. 

Andy 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I've just put a HW1080 with a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster 35T in my new SCX10-ii build. It was maidened in the garden 10 minutes ago and I am really pleased with the combination. 

Ok thanks guys. Don’t want the speed so will look at a 1080 esc then. What would work better then a 35T or 27T ?

I can't say I've had a lot of experience. Took advice from another member when I built my Axial Wraith and was very pleased with GoolRC 35t brushed with a 1060. Since used an RC4WD 35t brushed with 1080 on a Gelande D90 - also v.good. Just finishing an Axial SCX10.2 and using the GoolRC again, this time with a 1080 (originally bought a 1060 but decided to upgrade to get the extra settings).

As I say, not a huge amount of experience with others bit  not left wanting for anything with the ones I have tried.

14 hours ago, Norte-23 said:

Ok thanks guys. Don’t want the speed so will look at a 1080 esc then. What would work better then a 35T or 27T ?

RCmart is carrying both the Trailmaster Sport 27T and newer Crawlmaster Sport 13T in 540 sized cans for $13.90 and $14.99 respectively and the HW1080 ESC @ $38.90.

The Trailmaster 27t have been in a number of my crawlers and are superb with that ESC. The turn count is fine @ 27T, no need to increase that out to 35T at all.

If it were me i'd now go for the newer Crawlmaster as it's a 5-slot rotor which gives even smoother start up (apparently), some reading by JRH here >>> http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/611836-new-crawlmaster-sport-540-550-motors.html

But, as they're so damn cheap, get one of each;)

Ok thanks. I’ve just ordered a Hobbywing 1080 from the bay of E from a model shop store. I’ll look at rc art now for the motor

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

Whats postage like from RCMart these days?  Been a while since I ordered anything from there, think the last thing was a quicrun esc about 12 months ago, and that was free P&P.

Think I paid $8 for my Sidewinder 4 and Castlelink postage so low weight.. They now use two shipping companies due to CV19 so the tracking unmber may not be for HK post... Something to bear in mind if you chase up a delivery with them like I did!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

Holmes Hobbies motors are available from red-winches.com, a U.K. supplier. 

I just ordered a HH motor from Red Winches, the service was great and they got it out to me quickly too.

Ok so there are 3 different ones.

Trailmaster 27T
Crawlmaster 27T
Torque master 27T

So what’s the difference other than price

It appears the PRO versions are hand wound & the other are machine wound. Would a 550 can fit in an SCX10ii ?

46 minutes ago, CarlC said:

I just ordered a HH motor from Red Winches, the service was great and they got it out to me quickly too.

Me too! Expecting delivery tomorrow. 

31 minutes ago, Norte-23 said:

It appears the PRO versions are hand wound & the other are machine wound. Would a 550 can fit in an SCX10ii ?

I think the stock battery tray will need to be modified because the 550 can is a little longer.  I ordered a 550 for my SCX10.2, but because I use small 2600mah lipo’s losing part of the battery tray won’t be a problem for me...I hope! 

Edited by Andy-Roo

5 hours ago, Norte-23 said:

Ok so I’ve now got a HH Torque Master Expert 27T 550 on the way.

I bought a 27T Torque Master also.   I haven’t fitted it yet, but am looking forward to seeing how it performs hooked up to my HH BRXL. 

• Like 1

bb4bd4f6b298563aff4a3245b63ee6b6.jpg
Well it’s in. Left it on the stock 13T pinion. It’s only a very small amount of the battery tray that needs to be cut out for the 550 can to fit. Just waiting on the 1080 esc now.

• Like 1