• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Test Motor

Hi. Potentially daft question... Is there any reason not to connect a battery directly to a brushed motor to check whether it works?

Edited by themissingelf

Great. Thank you. A couple of AAs vs a 7 cell Ni-MH - glad I checked 😀.

I'm planning to check the rest of the electrics by connecting the ESC motor outputs to another car to see if it powers the other car's motor. And also plug a servo I've got lying around into the RXs servo output.

Seems the car didn't like being driven through salty water 🙄.

Edited by themissingelf

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

The salt corrodes' the electrical contacts, try to avoid it. 

We, erm, did set out with the best of intentions but, erm, the temptation of the shallow pools kinda got the better of us... One of those "I'm sure it will be fine......" moments. Lesson learnt - no amount of WD40 and similar seems to have stopped the rust. I think I'm actually going to have to use some rust treatment on the metalwork if I get the electrics back running. It's an FTX so thankfully not an expensive mistake.

• Haha 1

It is amazing just how corrosive these sea-filled pools can be - they are filled from the sea, water evaporates and is then refilled, getting greater and greater concentrations of salt.

I remember sailing one of my boats at Fleetwood many years ago, in the days before proportional R/C, when the "bang-bang" servos used printed circuit tracks.

After a couple of minutes sailing the throttle stopped working.  When I checked it, the splashes of water had completely etched off the copper in under 5 minutes total?

Essential anything affected is thoroughly rinsed with clear water immediately.

So the verdict is in... Motor is knackered... Also stripped off a few other parts that did not fare well and rust treated everything else. All other electrics are OK. So my next question is viability of converting the FTX Outlaw to a crawler? Seeming as I have to replace the motor and I'm also in to some new springs too, I'm wondering whether it is viable to convert to a crawler with a 35T(?) motor? The current one is a 550 15T but I'm hoping I can get away with a 540?

The main reason for converting is because my son has been enjoying my CC01 Land Cruiser 40 but would like something more capable. Cannot decide whether I should convert the FTX or invest in a crawler for him (something "affordable" - especially as he reversed the CC01 into the pond today because he didn't realise he had his finger on the trigger! 🤦‍♂️) He is drawn to the scale look so the FTX may not quite be what he's after in any case...

Thanks. Useful information. 18t doesn't sound as though it would be much different to the standard 15t? I use 35t in a few cars and not experienced a problem - is it something about the Outlaw that makes it less suitable?