• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Diff oil vs grease

MattW123

I am in the process of repairing the front diff on my Losi lst xxl2e. It currently has grease in it. I have 3 questions:

1. Should I clean out all the old grease and replace with new grease/oil, or is it fine to leave the old stuff in?

2. Should I use grease or should I use diff oil? 
3. Which grease or oil would you recommend; weight, brand etc?

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Kukynas said:

1. Yes

2. oil

3. 50k cst and any brand

that’s setup I use in my 3xl-e

Thanks. What’s the best way to clean the grease out? 

Just wanted to check if there is anything I should consider in terms of the oil not leaking out? Assume the diffs are similar in yours to mine. 

I’m using Aceton based alcohol but pretty much any cleaning alcohol should work, there should be standard rework sealing kit available to buy under LOSA3505 order code

Can of De-greaser foam, then spray with WD40 then wash off soapy water and dry, dryings important or the diff oil will turn white as it reacts with any water.

Probably over the top but I have loads of time on my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Kukynas said:

I’m using Aceton based alcohol but pretty much any cleaning alcohol should work, there should be standard rework sealing kit available to buy under LOSA3505 order code

Thanks. Would that def fit the xxl2 do you know?  The part number to include the seal in the exploded view http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/PartList_PartsExplosion_LST2.pdf shows b3539. 

19 minutes ago, Kukynas said:

Thanks so much!

• 7 months later...

Thanks Bajadre, yeah balooning is annoying. I have just bought some louise ST Pioneer wheels that are belted to stop the balooning. The diff oil weights from research are very subjective.  I want to look after the gears etc,  ive seen people are saying 10k front and centre with 7k rear. Thicker oil to revent balooning as gives power to both wheels, thinner gives more traction to less resisted wheel. 

Ive also seen 30k front and centre with rear being 50k.

I guess its trial and error. Would you know if the 10k oil front and centre and 7 rear I s too thin for the xxl2e?

Thanks for your responce

• Like 1

yeah Chim a lot is trail and error took me a while and a lot of bottles of core rc diff oil to get mine right for the pumptracks we use :) the losi is quite a heavy truck like the savvy XL so i would go thicker buddy 👍

some good info in this lot chim seems people tend to use around 20,000 to 40,000 on the xxl2e

https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/882974-losi-xxl2-e-27.html

13 hours ago, ChimChim said:

I guess its trial and error. Would you know if the 10k oil front and centre and 7 rear I s too thin for the xxl2e?

Those numbers are commonly referenced, but they originate in buggies. They don't really apply to big stuff. 

Arrma Kratons for example generally run 200-500k in the centre, 70k front, 30k rear. It's not necessarily trial and error, it's about how you want your truck to react to throttle and steering inputs. It's a tool for tuning your truck, with nice side-effects like preventing diff outs (front ballooning) and cooling for the diffs.

15824512935_13c8f9fb67_b.jpg

10k in the centre on a monster truck is nowhere near enough though. As mentioned, a Kraton runs anywhere between 200k to 500k, X-Maxxes run up to 20 million (and yes, it's not really liquid anymore). The part in regards to thicker centre fluid making the car more nervous to drive is pointing to wheelies. With the front unloading less, more power goes to the rear = wheelies. 

edit: as a side note, i ran 100k/50k/30k in my XXL2e, felt good. But i like wheelies. 

Edited by m4inbrain