• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Outcast 4s - What Shock Oil Do You Use?

AndyBell

Morning,

Back with another question as I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere. I'm looking at rebuilding the shocks on my Outcast 4s and I'm not sure what's in there as standard and can't see anything in the manual.  Wondering if any other outcast owners can suggest what to get.  Mainly light bashing on uneven grassy/gravel terrain.

Thanks, Andy.

I use mine for large jumps and general skatepark insanity so not the same use as you. I've recently rebuilt mine with 50wt oil front and rear and will be going down to 40 in the rear. 

For your use I would stick with standard which I believe would be around 30/35wt.

• Like 1

Actually just found the standard spec buried deep withing the Arrma website......standard is 40wt (500cSt). What sort of a difference would lowering it to  30/35wt make?

Thanks.

Gone for 45wt based on some info from the Arrma website, picked up some green slime too to try get a better seal on the o-rings. 

Hopefully no more leaking. 

5 hours ago, AndyBell said:

Actually just found the standard spec buried deep withing the Arrma website......standard is 40wt (500cSt). What sort of a difference would lowering it to  30/35wt make?

Thanks.

Wowzers, surprised at that.... Perhaps I will indeed also need 45 then at the rear. It certainly feels a little dead on the rear with 50wt.

Only got the stuff today and managed to do the rears tonight. They instantly feel better though. 

Fronts tomorrow and test drive.  Will report back. 

Edited by AndyBell

Interesting what I found when doing the rears last night, on both shocks there was a hiss when I unscrewed the shock and a little bit of the fluid started seepeing/bubbling out, as if there was some air pressure inside.  Not really something you want in your shocks.

Not sure of the manufacturing process but maybe somehow there is some pressure build up which is causing them to leak straight out of the box? Pretty confident after a rebuild they should be fine but we shall see.  Ran out of time to do the fronts so I'm doing them later and will be testing it out probably tomorrow morning weather permitting. 

Edited by AndyBell

I could only imagine air pressure being caused by different atmospheric pressure and temperature in the UK to where they were manufactured?..

It would certainly be great to find a strong solution for the original shock leakage issues ( For note to others; does not happen to every model). They are a good sized easily maintained shock and I found the supplied springs to be perfect for the truck.

On my own shocks I rebuilt them with green slime but it did not fix the issue. The problem I see is getting enough tension to squish the o - rings, perhaps more o - rings or a slightly fatter variant may accomplish this. I went with the HR bodies in the end and so far in 2 fairly ballistic runs there has been no issue whatsoever....

On 06/03/2020 at 20:05, stimpy said:

It would certainly be great to find a strong solution for the original shock leakage issues

A bloke on the Arrma forum said he rebuilt his shocks with 5 of these o-rings in each shock and some green slime and they haven't leaked since.  I've ordered some so will be giving it a go once they arrive.  If it's all sucesfull I'd be happy to send you some. 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X2Y4956/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by AndyBell
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, AndyBell said:

A bloke on the Arrma forum said he rebuilt his shocks with 5 of these o-rings in each shock and some green slime and they haven't leaked since.  I've ordered some so will be giving it a go once they arrive.  If it's all sucesfull I'd be happy to send you some. 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X2Y4956/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Crikey! 5 o - rings!.. I think the issue with compressing them is that it is a push and lock type fit not an adjustable screw lock - if you know what I mean...

Be great to hear your findings. And yes pls to o -rings if it works - very kind. 👍

18 hours ago, AndyBell said:

Hi Andy, I would be interested to hear how these go as I’m in the leaky shock brigade .

Yeah, the extra 3 replace the little plastic cylinder between the standard o-rings. 

They are not due to be delivered until the 24th March......Covid-19 permitting......but I'll be doing a rebuild once I get them as two fronts are already leaking after the rebuild I did last week.

1 minute ago, Stevenj76 said:

Hi Andy, I would be interested to hear how these go as I’m in the leaky shock brigade .

Sure, no probs.  Once I've managed to fit them and given it a few spirited runs I'll report back.......just hope there is not too much resistance on the shafts once they are in.

2 hours ago, Stevenj76 said:

I’ve been looking at the design and because it’s a clip on cap I think adding to compress is not probably going to work as well as something tighter on the shaft and over sized for the housing .

Exactly, this is the issue in compression of these o - rings 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on this, when I last rebuilt my shocks all I did was strip them and rebuild with green slime and 45w oil.  The fears have been leak free for the last 6 runs but the fronts continued to leak.

I’m going to leave the rears for the time being and just rebuild the fronts with the 5 o-rings and see how it goes. 

Yep I also got the advice of putting 5 o rings in and removing the cartidges.

I've got some 70wt oil for my shocks though, I was also under the impression the stock weight was around 45wt, I lied to jump mine hard and noticed I am getting a lot of chassis slap, which might have been the reason I snapped my chassis.

My shocks aren't leaking yet thankfully though, I will rebuild them at some point, just to stop the chassis hitting the ground on every jump.

Tried the fronts today using the other o-rings and they were leaking before I even put them back on the car.  Manually compressing them made the shock oil leak down the shaft and you could see it oozing out......also felt like there was too much resistance.  I'm not sure if they sent me the wrong size, I can't reliably measure them at the moment but the below pic shows the difference between the stock (left) and the other (right).

IMG_1567.JPG

• Thanks 1

Well looking at the pics those are 2 completely different sized O-rings Andy. The new ones will be too tight on the shaft (resistance) and too loose to the outer seat (leaking).

I have often wondered if it would be possible to very crudely make our own sealing system with regular bathroom silicone sealant. Grease the hell out of the shaft, squirt silicon in, cap it, let it set. Most probably one would still need a few relatively snug O - rings just to put some compression onto the shaft.... Hmmmm🤔

These are what I’ve ordered the shafts are 4mm and the cartridge is 8mm so hopefully these will be little bit  snugger than the genuine ones , stimpy , being a plumber I’ve already tried the silicone and it stuck too much to the shaft I didn’t grease it though .

3D4F4B8F-D7D2-4720-99BB-A6EC17ACEB34.png